• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"I know"

Christian T

For the past few months, I've felt like I've been forever on the receiving end of this curious little discourse particle, and unfortunately not by people who are showing that they can relate to one of my opinions ("I know, right") or to show their understanding of something to save me from going further with an unnecessary explanation. They say it to me rather curtly whenever I'm simply reiterating something that I'm aware is already in their knowledge in order to build an argument in a logical way. It's as if some people are determined to preserve an appearance of knowledgeability, and offended whenever I accidentally suggest that there are some things they might, perhaps, not know.

There are many occasions where people have told me things I already know, and I've been able to listen without reminding them of the extent of my knowledge. Often I'm too surprised that they feel the need to inform of something that I quite clearly know to tell them that I know it. My Asperger's also slows down my thinking process, so that doesn't help. At first there is that surprise, than I ponder what led them to think I had that gap in my knowledge, and then I try to form a sentence to explain myself. However, by that time I've thought through that, more than one second has elapsed, and my chance to say "I know" has gone.

Even on a rare occasion where I did manage to slip in an "I know," I got back a doubly defensive "I know you know" and now I kind of wish I had said "I know you know I know" just to play along with how ridiculous it was. What is the point in constantly reminding people of how much you obviously know?

I also hate it sometimes when I say something relevant to a discussion and people go, "yes, very good," without giving anyone else who is talking nearly as much affirmation. If it's genuine, of course I'm very grateful for it, but otherwise I find it very condescending. It doesn't help that I'm 18, and so many adults expect me to be a wide-eyed naive sponge eager to soak up the great wisdom of people with more wrinkles than me (how exactly are wrinkles a guarantee of knowledge? Or years, for that matter, because years can be either squandered or used very productively.) I hate adults who completely forget what it was like to my age (you can think for yourself at 18. You can think for yourself at practically any age.) I love adults who treat me with equal respect as an intelligent human being, who does not need generous helpings of positive reinforcement every time I use my brain.

Can anyone relate to this, or am I just being overly suspicious and thin-skinned here?

I found being 18 painful. I felt sort of naked.
And I noticed that although 'grown-ups' were older and had more experiences, they weren't necessarily wise.
They weren't necessarily even functioning at an adult level.

New Threads

Top Bottom