• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I have questions for Aspies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harrowing Adventure

I suppose your first question if you're bothering to read this, is why is one of "these" people joining your forum.
Well, it's anonymous, I don't have to "out", myself and I have some questions to ask Apsberger's people, and perhaps we can both get something out of this situation.
I'm happy to answer your questions, in exchange for hopefully getting some answers back.

To tell you a bit about myself, when I was younger I was different to other children. I had an ability to be able to read people even as a child, figure out what their deal is. I could walk into a room and within a short period of time figure out who had screwed who (at that age I only used the word "kissed"), and figure out who wanted to. I used to test adults, watch them and often they'd feel uncomfortable, due to my "piercing stare". I looked like that evil McCauly Caulkin in that movie (forget it's name now), with the evil brother.
I would look for weak spots in adults, figure them out then test and see what happened if I mentioned them or use them to manipulate them. Females were far easier than males for that. Perhaps this sounds evil to many, but it was nothing terribly harmful.
I'm not going to go into a range of others things as I've tested these stories on others before and their reactions haven't been good. But at age 8 an accident occurred in front of me and because I shrugged my shoulders at it, and my peculiar reaction to it I was sent to a kid shrink who at first thought I had some kind of Autism.
I figured out quickly the answers the shrink wanted to hear and toyed with her. She treated me as though my mind was someone half my age, so I played into that and simply wasted her time.
Some time later that diagnosis was thrown out and together with some scans I was confirmed to be what I thought I was, although I had no name for it before then.
I wear different "personality packs', depending on each situation, as this is more comfortable to others rather than "blank" me, which I've learned makes people uncomfortable. I've learned to stop my "reptilian stare", and delete any social media photos, and always check them to see if I have that particular gesture, or any other gestures common to what I am, as it may well attract the attention of another like me, we can tell another one.
This is where Aspergers come in. With other people, I can figure them out, and I can tell so much about them in a short period of time, see their brain ticking over and see if they will be of use or not, as is life.
However, I noticed this different outline of a certain kind of people, I saw it once and couldn't figure it out, then saw it again, and again through life. Finally I simply got one on his own and bluntly said "what are you?". He didn't respond, so I asked again more firmly and stared into his eyes to ensure he knew I was talking to him, "what are you, you're not like the rest", (he was an anomaly). He said he was Aspergers.
I asked him if he was retarded in some way and he said no, something about social development, however, he has skills that allow him to do all this accounting stuff, and he's actually quite brilliant at it. I said to him that's not a disability, that's an upgrade.
It's untrue that psychopaths don't "feel anything". Because like you it really depends on how high up you are and what traits you carry.
I feel things, I think but I'm not certain as I've never experienced someone else's brain so I can't really tell, but I'm immune to things like depression, remorse, anxiety etc.
My question is.. or one of them. I get an unusual feeling when one of you is about. I can pick you out now very quickly, your body language is different to the herd. Why is this?
So far I've been able to deduct is that some of you say inappropriate things and don't have emotions, and some have too much emotions, which is it? I'd like to know and I can't possibly ask this anyplace else without revealing to anyone what I am.
Unlike the rest, I try different methods to get a read on you and I get nothing. There's no hatred of you or anything more a odd curiosity.
Might I add, no I'm not a serial killer, yes I'm high intel, that comes as standard with us, but I don't have the "collectors trait", so have no interest in things like that. There's no need to be alarmed.. many of us are stock brokers, lawyers and all kinds of careers. I'm no Hannibal.
Perhaps an exchange of information could be of benefit to both of us.

My question is.. or one of them. I get an unusual feeling when one of you is about. I can pick you out now very quickly, your body language is different to the herd. Why is this?

Body language may or may not be different in aspies as opposed to NT's because our brains are wired differently. We do not not inherently 'get' things like body language, in the same innate way that NT's seem to, so we mimic the best we can.

So far I've been able to deduct is that some of you say inappropriate things and don't have emotions, and some have too much emotions, which is it?

Depends on the aspie. Despite your entire post referring to aspies as if we are some sort of species that all share the same traits, we are not. If you've met one aspie, you've met one aspie. While there may be things that are common to pretty much all aspies, there are also a million things which will be different. Some don't mind physical contact, some cannot stand it. Some are ok with loud noises, others would run a mile at the mere thought of it.

It seems to me as if you're just looking for information about aspies because it irks you that you have come across people who you cannot read, and therefore cannot use.

"If you've met one Aspie, then you've met one Aspie."

We have a multitude of different traits and behaviors, and at different amplitudes. We can't be identified or labeled with "cookie-cutter" methodologies. We're quite complex individually. ;)

I see. I too mimic. In fact, I can fake cry on demand if need be and then immediately stop.
So it seems we have that in common perhaps. I'm a factor 1 grouping, and I'm really quite classic.
My brain shows up completely different on a MRI. The whole bit about going through life and creating a trail of destruction behind me isn't true....well it is for the factor 2 grouping but that's not what I am.
As for using people, given this is anonymous sure I use people, however I have learned through trial and error that it's always best to use them and ensure they get something out of it beneficial to themselves as well, then everyone wins.
So my next question is, what are the things that are common to all Aspergers?
Might I add, I did read someplace that somehow your brains are related to ours in some way.

So my next question is, what are the things that are common to all Aspergers?

There may not be any in the most literal sense. Goes back to how we're all individuals in terms of our traits and behaviors.

Though if I were to generalize, I might hypothesize that in many cases it would include elevated sensitivities to sight, sound, smell, touch, and an inability to process social queues at the level Neurotypicals take for granted.

After all, the most common denominator for autism is a battery of sensitivities for which Neurotypicals either don't experience, or don't at the intensity we do. But there's no absolute, conditional answer to such things.

Simply put, IMO it doesn't pay to generalize about autism. It's just too complex.

LMGTFY

LMGTFY

Well, if I wanted to google it myself I could. However I would then get a technical definition.

Possibly. Some of us have issues with empathy, which I understand is also a problem for psychopaths.

Having low empathy I don't see as being a problem. I wouldn't change it for the world. I guess that's where we differ. I've succeeded where others have failed. I just can't see that as being a problem.
I can see from what you've read that you're also applying a cookie cutter opinion on what psychopaths are, while we do have some common traits we different radically in actions. Although we can generally tell another, at least I can tell another psychopath from a sociopath or what I classify them to be. We have some common facial expressions at certain times that are a dead giveaway for starters.

Curious, from what you know about us, what do you think about us?
When I say us, I don't mean Jeffrey Dahmer or someone.
Usually I'm very very well liked and people find me funny and charming and I can work a room.

I believe that it isn't that Aspies particularly lack empathy so much as it is that we are unable to communicate it in a meaningful way to Neurotypicals. Though there are some who in their own mind conclude they have little or none at all. Again, we remain quite a mixed bunch. Yet it does seem to be a stereotype for many NTs to conclude that we lack empathy outright.

I believe that it isn't that Aspies particularly lack empathy so much as it is that we are unable to communicate it in a meaningful way to Neurotypicals. Though there are some who in their own mind conclude they have little or none at all. Again, we remain quite a mixed bunch. Yet it does seem to be a stereotype for many NTs to conclude that we lack empathy outright.

Thanks so much that's the answer I wanted to hear. Oddly, the Aspergers people I met, I seemed to like, which I find odd, as rarely feel that way. I also granted them a degree of trust which I would never do to others, and didn't realise why I was doing it. I think perhaps that because I thought they had less empathy I trusted them not to make emotionally dumb decisions. Might I add, what are NT's?
Do you mean "normals"? (That's what we call regular people in the psychopathy forums).
I also noticed my original subject heading containing the word psychopath was erased... I'm guessing it's not a popular word.

Having low empathy I don't see as being a problem. I wouldn't change it for the world.

I don't see it as a problem either. I've never been good at empathy, and that's who I am.

I can see from what you've read that you're also applying a cookie cutter opinion on what psychopaths are, while we do have some common traits we different radically in actions.

Not at all. I haven't done any reading about psychopaths. This is literally the only thing I have ever heard about psychopathy, although always referred to when talking about those who have committed crimes.

Curious, from what you know about us, what do you think about us?

Nothing really. I've never really thought about psychopaths.

Might I add, what are NT's?

Neurotypicals. Those who have typical neurology. Or, 'normal' for want of a better word.

Might I add, what are NT's?
Do you mean "normals"? (That's what we call regular people in the psychopathy forums).
I also noticed my original subject heading containing the word psychopath was erased... I'm guessing it's not a popular word.

NT=Neurotypical (Non-neurodiverse persons) I try not to use the term "normal". Not really sure what that means or really implies. ;)

Can't comment one way or another on terms like psychopaths or sociopaths other than in a clinical fashion. If my path has crossed with them in R/L I wasn't aware. Though in hindsight I have come to realize the handful of Aspies whom I have crossed paths before having worked with them for long periods of time.

Perhaps I'm being "Captain Obvious" here. Though I feel compelled to say that this thread brings up a critical issue relative to the original post. How objective the medical community can be with terms like psychopath and sociopath, versus how subjective it can be regarding Aspergers Syndrome, Autism Spectrum Disorder and Classic Autism.

That when one strays into the realm of various forms of autism, they are not apt to be absolute in terms of symptoms, traits and behaviors compared to other conditions.

That while we may be socially stereotyped by the entertainment industry, the professional medical community has a very different uptake on us neurologically speaking. Unfortunately this also plays into the reality of why autism can be so difficult to understand compared with other conditions.

Last edited:
Perhaps I'm being "Captain Obvious" here. Though I feel compelled to say that this thread brings up a critical issue relative to the original post. How objective the medical community can be with terms like psychopath and sociopath, versus how subjective it can be regarding Aspergers Syndrome, Autism Spectrum Disorder and Classic Autism.

That when one strays into the realm of various forms of autism, they are not apt to be absolute in terms of symptoms, traits and behaviors compared to other conditions.

That while we may be socially stereotyped by the entertainment industry, the professional medical community has a very different uptake on us neurologically speaking. Unfortunately this also plays into the reality of why autism can be so difficult to understand compared with other conditions.

Sounds like a great topic for it's own thread.

We are different form the herd. This is due to our brains being wired differently. I tend to be less emotional, except on occasion when emotions of anger explode and I cannot contain them. I am different because there is nothing that I want from anyone. I feel the need to mate, and am not successful because I do not have good social skills and am unwilling to bow down to anyone. Seems like you need to be a sycophant and a gigolo to be successful with NT women these days. Outside of mating, people do not interest me much. I have nothing against them and generally wish them well. But they have nothing I want and I see no reason why I should be enthusiastic to meet them.
If I may ask, why all the secrecy and unnecessary drama, this is a harmless exchange of info? Seems like you have gone out of your way to present yourself as scary despite saying the contrary.
If I may ask, does it please you to be perceived as scary, or is this unintentional? No judgement intended, to each their own.

I've met sociopaths before. Yes I can spot them. Their minds are like spaghetti thrown at a wall.
They are not logical like us, and are by nurture not nature like us, then become that way and aren't born like it.
I'd recommend staying clear of them. It wouldn't good for me to say what I'd like to do to them but for some reason they are the only people I really dislike. They play games, weird games, they do things to destroy with no self benefit, irrational behavior and bizarre emotional things. It's some times disgusting to me that I'm placed in the same boat as them, they create nothing. You can never win by taking them head on, as they simply don't care about collateral damage.

We are different form the herd. This is due to our brains being wired differently. I tend to be less emotional, except on occasion when emotions of anger explode and I cannot contain them. I am different because there is nothing that I want from anyone. I feel the need to mate, and am not successful because I do not have good social skills and am unwilling to bow down to anyone. Seems like you need to be a sycophant and a gigolo to be successful with NT women these days. Outside of mating, people do not interest me much. I have nothing against them and generally wish them well. But they have nothing I want and I see no reason why I should be enthusiastic to meet them.
If I may ask, why all the secrecy and unnecessary drama, this is a harmless exchange of info? Seems like you have gone out of your way to present yourself as scary despite saying the contrary.
If I may ask, does it please you to be perceived as scary, or is this unintentional? No judgement intended, to each their own.

Is there drama here? I see none. Is that how you feel, and this is dramatic to you?
I don't care if I am perceived as being scary, however, it's inconvenient as people will give a dishonest answer rather than a constructive one, so i'd prefer people don't perceive me that way. I can't see how I've gone out of my way to be scary, in fact I've said the opposite, suggesting that I have non violent traits and we're not all serial killers. Once I've identified as what I am, I suppose there's little room to be seen as anything otherwise to some. :)
As for secrecy. Well, how many psychopaths do you know who are open about it? I have a very strong natural instinct not to allow others to find out. A few psychiatrists know about me, and a neurologist but that's about it, I'd just prefer to keep it that way. Largely this exercise is I wanted to know more about Aspbergers people to see if we had common ground..or something.
But it's been an interesting exercise and I've learned a few things. So I appreciate your time.
I don't think we are as interesting to you as you are to us.. thanks again.

I did feel some unnecessary drama but it may have been unintentional. I apologize if I offended you :)

I am curious as to what drives you. What is it you want in life? Is there commonality in this among psychopaths?

I have Aspergers. I'm very capable of empathy. Over the years I've learned to show "appropriate" behavior in most situations, so that I'm able to blend in. Because I've spent so much time reading people and trying to mimic and understand them, I have an easy time manipulating people. I usually choose not to, because I've had a pretty strict moral code since forever. When talking to a shrink I know what to say to them to bend the conversation whichever way I want it to, but I've come to realize that doing that doesn't help me. I visited to a shrink to become a more functional human being, not to see how good I am at bullshitting.
As you can see, there's a few parallels between us, and a few differences. Not trying to be preachy whatsoever though. If it weren't for my overwhelming sense of empathy, I'd probably have an entirely different alignment. I wouldn't use my powers for good :D At this point I just come up with evil schemes for fun, without going through with any of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom