• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I have mild autism and the dentist TERRIFIES ME!

dc1234567

The last time I went to the dentist, the experience was excruciating.:mad: I don't know what the object is called, but they put something huge around my teeth and it was difficult to breathe. After, they replaced my braces and the process was so painful that it made tears run down my face. I can handle shots, cuts, falls, you name it but that was awful. My other issue is the waiting rooms. There are couch cushions that we sit on, and the people have to sit close together. The ones who sit close to me besides my parents bother me. I don't know why, but for some vague reason it really pisses me off when a baby is next to me or a toddler comes up to me and starts babbling. All I think in my head is '' screw off'' because the situation distresses me already and they're just annoying. THE WORST PROBLEM is when I see someone I used to know. See, before I went to my current special ed school, I went to a high school and elementary before and I knew these kids who used to be my friends in the thirst and second grade. If I see someone I used to know, it's so embarrassing that I want to burst out crying right on the spot. I have no siblings to talk to while I wait. IDK, it's going to happen on March 8. How do I prevent an anxiety attack? Thank you.

I know how you feel. I have intense phobia of doctors and dentists. I haven't been to a dentist since I was 17 because the last one was rather mean to me considering I had a pretty bad and obvious phobia.

I wish I could help you out here but I have been trying for many years to deal with these issues and so far I have received zero help. Some medical procedures I think I would have to be sedated for. There is no way around it. Unless I can get some help from a psychologist who specializes in phobias (that won't happen where I live) then I doubt I will ever get past it.

Know you are a not alone. I think it comes from the fact I have a massive personal space and I have very clear bounds when it comes to privacy. For instance I can have a massive meltdown over someone at a store wanting to look in my bag because its an invasion of my personal space in my eyes. Same with a lot of medical procedures and so on.

All my life I have been terrified of the dentist, and for good reason. When I was a child they always told me it wouldn't hurt and it was always a lie. I have learned to force myself to go, and fortunately dental practices have come a long way since then.

But I also hate waiting rooms, so I always bring a book (olden days) or my phone so that I can shut the world out by reading or other activity. I've found that when I appear to be very absorbed like that, people tend to leave me alone, and the world recedes (that is how it actually feels to me, as though the world gets smaller and farther away). It won't fend off curious toddlers but it works pretty well with everyone else.

Dental treatment doesn't really bother me. I can take an injection which just nips a bit but is over in 2 or 3 seconds and the drill is bearable as my dentist gives me a break every 10 seconds or so. The one thing that does bother me though is the waiting room. It is quite a busy practice and the waiting room is small and silent which really gets on my nerves almost to the point of being paranoid. Its like my personal space has been invaded and to make it worse I feel like I'm irritating to the other people. I just feel I want to hide so much so that my doctor prescribes me anti-anxiety medication to make it a bit more bearable.

I hate going to the dentist. The feel of those tools against your teeth—as a well-known comedian once said, "They tell you not to pick your teeth with sharp metal objects. Then you sit in their chair, and the first thing they grab is an iron hook." That SCRAPING...ugh! The noise in general, the textures...for me, it is Autism Hell. I always joke that they should make pediatric dentistry for adults.

I have not been in a long time, though—not enough money, as it is not covered under my insurance. I would suffer through it, though, as I believe in good oral hygiene. (I'm one of those madmen who insists on drinking tap water, for the fluoride [besides environmental and monetary reasons].)

Hopefully the secretary is really good with customers, cause something you can do is if the office gets too crowded, get permission to step out and get a phone call from your cell. Try to explain to the secretary (or better to written documentation) about why it would help you a lot if they accommodate this need for you to not be in large crowds. Hopefully the dentist/dentist's secretary will be respectful on your request and will work this out with you.

The huge thing they put around your teeth is probably a dental dam. I too have a dentist phobia, caused by an insensitive dentist in my childhood. All the parents LOVED him because he was cheap. Well, the reason he was so cheap was that he rarely gave novocaine. And, back in those days, if you came from a college-educated, white middle class family, there was no such thing as child abuse. Because everyone KNEW that child abuse only happens in poor and/or minority families. If a child from a background like mine dared to accuse his or her parents of abuse, he or she'd better be able to prove it or there'd be even more hell to pay at home. As a result families like mine had pretty much a free rein when it came to discipline as long as it did not lead to a trip to the emergency room. What I am saying is that meltdowns at the dentist were not an option. I knew very well what would be waiting for me at home if I raised a fuss and did not submit quietly. And I learned. By God I learned. Because the OTHER weapon that parents like mine had and could use was to send me away to an institution. I'm not saying it was right, I am saying that was the environment I was raised in.

So somehow I got through the horror of childhood dental visits and it took several tries before I found a dentist that I am comfortable with. Dentists nowadays are much more aware about people's fears and there are a lot more options available depending on where you live and whether you are an adult. I say that because I am well aware a minor doesn't have much say in the situation and not all parents are enlightened about autism and dental phobias. But if you can, try to find a dentist that specializes in autistic or otherwise fearful patients.

I agree with Wyverary, I hate the sound and feel of the scraper against my teeth, my dentist and his assistants are really nice people but I still hate that damned scraper.

I also had to have braces, and it was horrible having them adjusted because of the pressure on my teeth, sometimes during a particularly difficult round of adjustments I'd get out of there a sweaty, shaking mess from the strain of remaining still and quiet and not screaming. I am incredibly glad that is over.

I also have to take 4 antibiotic pills before going to the dentist, and I know this might sound weird but something about those particular pills sets off my gag reflex and I have trouble choking them down.I have thrown up in my mouth a little because of those pills. I can swallow most pills just fine most of the time, but those particular pills are just a huge pain.

New Threads

Top Bottom