• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I have Asperger's and I'm glad that I do

As someone who loves travelling (If you couldn't tell from my username), the UK sounds much better to me than Vegas (I'm not big on partying anymore). I'd gladly switch countries with you!

In fact the girlfriend and I plan to start making our way through Europe this year, but we're taking a break since we just got back from a 3 month trip through Asia. How do you like your home country?
I’d love to travel, anxiety holds me back though.
My home Country has its ups and downs. Ultimately I’d say I love it, I’m extremely grateful to have been born here. There is some beautiful scenery. Lots of quaint villages, lots of character in the cities, generally not a bad vibe from the citizens. Mostly everyone still enjoys greeting each other on the streets, and are polite. Lowish crime, no need to worry about guns, not really any need to worry about knife crime, despite what you see on the news, it’s still relatively low. It’s very rare I’ve been to any place in the UK where I felt unsafe.
London is a must see. Scotland and Wales too, if you like the deep valleys type scenery, along with the Lake District.
Honestly it’s lovely.
The only negatives come from my own perception of what consists of a great society. I definitely feel as though our government aren’t doing a great job for us currently. But that’s based on preference.
I’m sure you’ll love traveling Europe.

I’d love to travel, anxiety holds me back though.
My home Country has its ups and downs. Ultimately I’d say I love it, I’m extremely grateful to have been born here. There is some beautiful scenery. Lots of quaint villages, lots of character in the cities, generally not a bad vibe from the citizens. Mostly everyone still enjoys greeting each other on the streets, and are polite. Lowish crime, no need to worry about guns, not really any need to worry about knife crime, despite what you see on the news, it’s still relatively low. It’s very rare I’ve been to any place in the UK where I felt unsafe.
London is a must see. Scotland and Wales too, if you like the deep valleys type scenery, along with the Lake District.
Honestly it’s lovely.
The only negatives come from my own perception of what consists of a great society. I definitely feel as though our government aren’t doing a great job for us currently. But that’s based on preference.
I’m sure you’ll love traveling Europe.
I'm sure I will as well. I looked up your city and it looks absolutely beautiful. Las Vegas is a fun city, but the people aren't very great. I've lived here a long time and although I love certain aspects such as everything being open 24 hours a day, it's a very plain and boring city in terms of architecture besides the Strip (Which is what most people think of when they hear Vegas).

I feel that our government isn't doing a great job for us either, and that's probably the biggest understatement I've ever made in my life. The main source of anxiety in my life is the shame I feel of being an America. Fortunately I'm half Australian so I generally tell people I'm Australian and not American when they ask. I desperately want to relocate to another country, and plan on doing so this year though I haven't decided where. I work from home so it's easy for me to relocate, but the girlfriend is waiting to find out if her company will allow her to work remotely. If so we're gonna be out of here sooner rather than later. :)

Dont forget dear ol Sweden either ya hear :)
I would love to visit Sweden, but it depends if I'm able to justify the relatively high cost of living compared to where I live now. I just got back from a 3 month trip around Asia so it may be a bit before I can justify the expense, but I definitely plan to visit Sweden someday. :)

Hi, it's lovely to read the positivity in your first post. I guess this is what a truly happy aspie sounds like.
Id guess your relationship is very successful also. Will your girlfriend join as well? Tell us about her!

Hi, it's lovely to read the positivity in your first post. I guess this is what a truly happy aspie sounds like.
Id guess your relationship is very successful also. Will your girlfriend join as well? Tell us about her!

I was talking to her last night about this forum actually and she mentioned wanting to join, so she may pop up here sometime in the next few days.

When we met, she had very low self-esteem and felt alone. She always knew something was different about herself but didn't know what. I knew the first day I talked to her that she had Asperger's, and when I mentioned it she knew what it was but not enough to have an opinion on whether or not she agreed.

I gave her the test on rdos.net and she actually scored as more neurodiverse than me (I was about 172/200 and she was 175/200). As we got to know each other more I helped her understand why she acted the way she does from a psychological perspective, when previously she just thought there was something wrong with her. She's always been sensitive to loud noises and been prone to panic attacks in social situations which has made her feel bad about herself.

She's always been such a sweet, intelligent, and beautiful person though and I love her FOR all of her quirks, not despite them. Although she never realized that she had Asperger's, most of her friends are on the spectrum as they are the only people she's felt comfortable around.

We're very grateful to have each other. She's such a genuinely good person and having her in my life has helped me be better. She tells me that I've helped her feel better about who she is as a person, so we're really perfect for each other. :)

I was talking to her last night about this forum actually and she mentioned wanting to join, so she may pop up here sometime in the next few days.

When we met, she had very low self-esteem and felt alone. She always knew something was different about herself but didn't know what. I knew the first day I talked to her that she had Asperger's, and when I mentioned it she knew what it was but not enough to have an opinion on whether or not she agreed.

I gave her the test on rdos.net and she actually scored as more neurodiverse than me (I was about 172/200 and she was 175/200). As we got to know each other more I helped her understand why she acted the way she does from a psychological perspective, when previously she just thought there was something wrong with her. She's always been sensitive to loud noises and been prone to panic attacks in social situations which has made her feel bad about herself.

She's always been such a sweet, intelligent, and beautiful person though and I love her FOR all of her quirks, not despite them. Although she never realized that she had Asperger's, most of her friends are on the spectrum as they are the only people she's felt comfortable around.

We're very grateful to have each other. She's such a genuinely good person and having her in my life has helped me be better. She tells me that I've helped her feel better about who she is as a person, so we're really perfect for each other. :)
That's so sweet and such a meaningful discovery that you helped her make. I think she'll feel at home here if shes so comfortable and used to other aspies. Must be a lot of help that you already know about autism and you have some traits as well, im sure she finds it easier to welcome the diagnosis in her life since you're by her side. I hope not to scare her away with my nt-ness if she does at some point feel comfortable enough to interact. Im happy for both of you :p

Last edited:
Hey everyone!

I was diagnosed with Asperger's at the age of 5, as well as severe OCD and ADHD. I was very low-functioning to the point where people were literally afraid to be around me, and I had many uncontrollable ticks from being on the spectrum as well as the OCD.

Throughout my adult life I managed to overcome all of the limitations that held me back, and by better understanding myself from a psychological perspective I've not only been able to succeed in life, but I can thank having Asperger's for my intelligence, success, and problem solving skills which have benefited me greatly.

I have a successful career, an amazing girlfriend and soon-to-be wife who also has Asperger's, and I'm very happy. I'm here not to ask for help from anyone, but to help others. If anyone needs advice or someone to talk to, feel free to message me anytime if you want a new perspective.

I hope to make some new friends and I'm excited to be a part of your community.

The very name of this post is what told me what this forum site fights for, and is what boosted my morale so sharply.

This is why we fight for our own cause. This is why we defend Autism and Aspergers, and why we work to dispel the myths like "it's just made up" and "it's an urban legend" and "it's just an excuse for people who don't know how to behave to be rude and mental so they don't have to go to a mental hospital".

We work to dispel those myths, and we fight for this cause, because nobody else will. We speak in fluent english tongue, and yet no one understands us, but still we fight on. We display near-supernatural intelligence, and people cower in fear, yet here we are still fighting. We seethe at the teeth at people who point and laugh at one of us running from a honeybee, and more people laugh, yet, we still clash with opposition.

And it's people like you, TheNomadicAspie, that are letting us know just what we are fighting for, why we are doing it, and how we should do it.

"My child, we can no longer live as rats. We KNOW too much." - Nicodemus, The Secret of NIMH

We seethe at the teeth at people who point and laugh at one of us running from a honeybee, and more people laugh, yet, we still clash with opposition.

This is related to autism?? I thought I was irrationally terrified of everything for other reasons. :eek:

New Threads

Top Bottom