• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I Hate Winter

That reminded me of my first Corvette. In 1966, I bought a 57 Corvette just because I liked it. It was great, until it snowed. Then it was un-drivable. Needless to say, it was parked in the garage for the rest of the winter. Then I went back to my 4x4 pickup. If you live in Idaho and are a guy, you have a 4x4 something. There is a 4x4 Corvette driving around in Boise.
Two of the coolest 4x4s I ever saw up close were a 1970 El Camino that looked stone stock and a 1975 K5 Blazer that had one ton axles and dual rear wheels.

When it comes to 4x4 trucks,I am a Toyota fanatic.I still own three of them :p

Two of the coolest 4x4s I ever saw up close were a 1970 El Camino that looked stone stock and a 1975 K5 Blazer that had one ton axles and dual rear wheels.

When it comes to 4x4 trucks,I am a Toyota fanatic.I still own three of them :p

Being a Toyota fanatic, you must like the quality. There are two companies in the world who make a lot of products and make them all very well. They are Toyota and Honda. Although it seems like a shame that they are both from Japan.

Being a Toyota fanatic, you must like the quality. There are two companies in the world who make a lot of products and make them all very well. They are Toyota and Honda. Although it seems like a shame that they are both from Japan.
Honda is my #1 choice for a motor vehicle recommendation with Yoda bringing up the rear ;)
Most of the vehicles produced by them for our market are built in the USA. I can name any of the big automakers from the USA that are built with outsourced parts from around the world,so American made really doesn't come into play anymore.

IMG_0092.JPG
I'm not sure...care to add one?
You hate winter?

One of the unique experiences of very cold winter days in the far north is driving the first few blocks in a car that has sat on cold concrete all night when temperatures are -20 F (-29 C) or lower. The rubber in the tires is stiff and the bottoms are flattened so the tires need a block or two before they become round again. Driving the first block is curiously bumpy as you hit the flat spot on the tires every revolution.

One of the unique experiences of very cold winter days in the far north is driving the first few blocks in a car that has sat on cold concrete all night when temperatures are -20 F (-29 C) or lower. The rubber in the tires is stiff and the bottoms are flattened so the tires need a block or two before they become round again. Driving the first block is curiously bumpy as you hit the flat spot on the tires every revolution.
So true. Then you have to take in account the stress to the lead-acid battery that is onboard. Jump in,turn the ignition and listen as the electric motor strains to crank an engine with stiff,cold lubricating oil in it and at a much lower voltage that it was designed to be used at. Do a short calculation with Ohm's Law and see the amperage requirement increase as said voltage drops with the ambient temperature. Great,the increased amps puts a strain on the brushes and windings of the cranking motor,but the increased heat will help you warm your frigid hands if you feel like crawling thru some slush on the ground to get to it.
That's alright,it will be beautiful and at least you won't have to sweat to do it :p

I know what you mean, but here are a few positives you might like to try. Unless you live in the southern hemisphere, Winter means Christmas; if that's too much for you, you don't have to join in, or you can at least choose what to take part in and what to ignore. Winter means winter woollies (unless you have an issue with clothing, there's nothing more comforting than wrapping up in a favourite cardigan or jumper), hot chocolate/drinks, hot water bottles, warm fires etc. True, you can't do much about the weather and the colour (or lack of it!) of the sky; but you can wear bright colours, put up colourful pictures/ornaments etc, Christmas decorations at the right time. Curl up on the settee in front of the fire with a book or magazine and a hot drink, play some music. Cuddle the cat or dog if you have one and it'll let you. Invest in a nice, warm coat, scarf, gloves and hat if you haven't already - if money's tight, look in the charity shops or jumble sales, you can get some nice things in those places these days - and don't forget the colour! No more black, grey or brown unless you brighten them up with colourful accessories. If you're female, don't forget some nice costume jewellery and/or neck scarves, especially if you can't afford to revamp your wardrobe completely and the clothes you've got are drab or a bit old and tired. If people ask you what you'd like for Christmas, you know what to ask for.

I know what you mean, but here are a few positives you might like to try. Unless you live in the southern hemisphere, Winter means Christmas; if that's too much for you, you don't have to join in, or you can at least choose what to take part in and what to ignore. Winter means winter woollies (unless you have an issue with clothing, there's nothing more comforting than wrapping up in a favourite cardigan or jumper), hot chocolate/drinks, hot water bottles, warm fires etc. True, you can't do much about the weather and the colour (or lack of it!) of the sky; but you can wear bright colours, put up colourful pictures/ornaments etc, Christmas decorations at the right time. Curl up on the settee in front of the fire with a book or magazine and a hot drink, play some music. Cuddle the cat or dog if you have one and it'll let you. Invest in a nice, warm coat, scarf, gloves and hat if you haven't already - if money's tight, look in the charity shops or jumble sales, you can get some nice things in those places these days - and don't forget the colour! No more black, grey or brown unless you brighten them up with colourful accessories. If you're female, don't forget some nice costume jewellery and/or neck scarves, especially if you can't afford to revamp your wardrobe completely and the clothes you've got are drab or a bit old and tired. If people ask you what you'd like for Christmas, you know what to ask for.
Positives? laughs :p

I think that might sell better on this thread https://www.aspiescentral.com/threads/i-hate-summer.16649/

I'm one of those people who loathe it. I hail from a city where winter prevails for nine months of the year; cold, wet, and miserable, but everything stays green. Now I live in a country with Siberian winds howling from the north, snow, and absolutely no colour to speak of except a dull blue on a sunny day (thanks to China's pollution). Unless you like brown and grey everything, that is.

Snow is pretty when it falls but it sucks to live with, particularly for a clumsy person like me.

Ah, yes, the clothes. Eight layers so you waddle like a penguin; thermals, hat, gloves, scarf and earmuffs; not fun, while your armpits sweat. NOT pleasant.

Christmas in winter ain't natural for me; a sorry attempt to liven up a drab season by buying too many things and cheesy music. Sometimes it's too cold to go to church, because when the service begins, the noisy inefficient heaters are turned off. Oh and toilets have only COLD water. Cold water does not rid germs, either.

Screw winter. I am ever so grateful I can escape the worst of it for six weeks or so. When I cease working, I shall retire to a warm place or country; I look forward to discarding the big coats, hats, scarves, gloves, sweaters, and especially THERMALS, for good.

Winter where I live just means it's generally cold and that there is a higher chance of rain and a slight chance of hailstones.

It hasn't snowed where I live in about 5 or 7 years. At least not in the sense that it remains on the ground for longer than a single day in a year. It outright hasn't snowed for the past two years, and I live in the UK.

Other than that, I prefer winter over summer. It doesn't help that I have hay-fever of the tree-pollen type. Even with tablets, summer is the most unpleasant season for me.

Post on a zombie thread? Sure why not.

As an Albertan winter can mean seeing snow on the ground in 8 consecutive months. Although that has been far from the case for the last couple years.

Winter, no motorcycle, no doing much outside but that's all been said.

I remember when I moved to Alberta about 10 years ago and experienced -40c (-40F) for the first time ever. Leaving work at 11pm. Started up the car (plugged the block heater in thank god) and let it run. When I went to actually drive I found my transmission (manual) fluid must have turned to jello. It took about a solid 3 seconds to shift from one gear to the next. After a bit of city driving it warmed up and started working normal again. Then I went 15 min on a highway. When I got to my exit and went to down shift I found out the wind chill had sucked out all the heat and turned the tranny fluid to jello again. That was quite and experience. From a wind chill calculator I used, driving 110 km/h (68mph) would make for a chill of -70c (-94F)!!! If I were to stick my bare hand out the window at that speed I imagine my hand would be lost in a minute or 2, requiring amputation.

As an Albertan winter can mean seeing snow on the ground in 8 consecutive months. Although that has been far from the case for the last couple years.

I remember when I moved to Alberta about 10 years ago and experienced -40c (-40F) for the first time ever. Leaving work at 11pm. Started up the car (plugged the block heater in thank god) and let it run. When I went to actually drive I found my transmission (manual) fluid must have turned to jello. It took about a solid 3 seconds to shift from one gear to the next. After a bit of city driving it warmed up and started working normal again. Then I went 15 min on a highway. When I got to my exit and went to down shift I found out the wind chill had sucked out all the heat and turned the tranny fluid to jello again. That was quite and experience. From a wind chill calculator I used, driving 110 km/h (68mph) would make for a chill of -70c (-94F)!!! If I were to stick my bare hand out the window at that speed I imagine my hand would be lost in a minute or 2, requiring amputation.
I can't even imagine that!:eek:

Good read about wind chill: Windchill Factor - WeatherImagery

I hate the cold slushy aspect of it all. No more motorcycles,performance cars or just sitting outside. Heating bills from hell,destruction of property and just plain gray and nasty all the time.

Anyone else share my thoughts on this?
I truly hate winter. Oh the irony that I was born into Scandinavia. (Although the winters have shortened here quite a lot.)

We have snow on the ground for 8 months. We always have snow before Halloween and we have had a Mother's day snowstorm more times than I can keep track of. Slush and mud? Maybe some slush but the ground is totally frozen until spring. Spring is pretty much nonexistent anyway, it just all of a sudden goes from winter to summer. No blooming flowers or anything. One year I chipped ice off my windshield in August. Some summer nights I'm having to build a fire.

There are things I like about winter, like fires in the woodstove, humidity is gone, and bugs are gone. But that's about it. For 17 years I had to work on the ground, no garage. I'd still rather work in the snow than the rain, which we have plenty of too. Sometimes in the fall it rains 3 weeks straight. I finally have a garage, but I won't be taking my nice old car out in the the snow. For all those years I fought with frozen pipes too. Now I have a basement so I no longer have that problem.

3 of the last 6 winters I've had a DVT blood clot. It only happens in January/Feburary when it gets the coldest. So it's been tougher to deal with the cold as I get older. And my body isn't handling flu season as well as it used to either. Sure I could just hibernate all winter and sometimes I do that but then I feel like I'm just wasting my life.

But I went to southern Illinois to see the 2017 eclipse, and the weather was a miserable experience. Even at night with my head hanging out the window I couldn't get enough air to sleep. Watching the eclipse I thought I was going to pass out even hiding in the shadow of my Jeep, the eclipsing sun lowered the temp enough to save me. So I learned to appreciate northern Michigan. I can always put on more clothes when it's cold. It rarely gets hot enough here to need AC, and when it does, I can go the basement which is a huge difference.

New Threads

Top Bottom