• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I hate trying to go to sleep

I have trouble with sleep because I wake up in the middle of the night and, as soon as I wake up, my perseveration/rumination starts.

I've actually successfully combated that over the past couple weeks by taking a dose of diphenhydramine right before bed. It doesn't make me groggy or anything like that, but it does switch my brain off for the night so that when I inevitably wake up to use the bathroom or something I can fall back to sleep instead of lying awake for an hour trying in vain to get my brain to SHUT UP and let me sleep.

This is not a long term solution, and I'm going to have to stop using it soon just because it should not be used long term. I am hoping that I will have broken whatever conditioning I've managed to accidentally put my brain through that makes me go "Ding! It's time to ruminate!" when I wake up at 3 AM to pee. I know it's largely a case of "classical conditioning" but it really makes me dread the night, too. And of course fearing that it will happen, makes it worse...

As far as sensory issues go, a white noise machine has been the biggest help. I even got a travel case for mine, because I can't sleep without it.

I have trouble with sleep because I wake up in the middle of the night and, as soon as I wake up, my perseveration/rumination starts.

I've actually successfully combated that over the past couple weeks by taking a dose of diphenhydramine right before bed. It doesn't make me groggy or anything like that, but it does switch my brain off for the night so that when I inevitably wake up to use the bathroom or something I can fall back to sleep instead of lying awake for an hour trying in vain to get my brain to SHUT UP and let me sleep.

This is not a long term solution, and I'm going to have to stop using it soon just because it should not be used long term. I am hoping that I will have broken whatever conditioning I've managed to accidentally put my brain through that makes me go "Ding! It's time to ruminate!" when I wake up at 3 AM to pee. I know it's largely a case of "classical conditioning" but it really makes me dread the night, too. And of course fearing that it will happen, makes it worse...

As far as sensory issues go, a white noise machine has been the biggest help. I even got a travel case for mine, because I can't sleep without it.
I may invest in a noise machine. I avoid the Benadryl/diphenhydramine that's in so many of the nighttime medicines. It just makes me very I irritable the next day. Like I think I'm fine then someone makes a loud noise and I snap instantly.

Last edited:
K. I just downloaded an app on my phone with the different sounds. I'll give it a try tonight. :) Thanks for the ideas.

Sounds tough. I got something similar to your exploding head syndrome, though mine is purely visual - a sudden, chaotic mix of colours moving so fast and in such a disorganised fashion that it makes me nauseous, a true kaleidoscope, maybe roller coaster of sights. I wasn't much of a 'believer' in all the mindfulness stuff a few years back, but meditation helped me with that greatly. What helped as well was setting up a specific time frame during the day where I just worry, jump around my brain and let it go wherever it wants.

Sometimes your brain can seem like a dog. If you don't let it run around for a time, it will do it whenever it can.

Don't worry about venting, everyone needs to from time to time. I don't really know what to advise here though... I hope you'll be able to find a way that works for you.

Jobs seem to be helpful. Because my brain is so twisted over all the possible outcomes of one day that l can lull myself to sleep over-thinking. I like the sound machines if the loop end isn't to easy to discern. Because my brain hops on sound patterns so quickly then that kicks in my rumination of why is it so obvious that it just relooped. So it has to be subtle pattern or l will become exasperated. My problem recognising patterns never ends, if it is noise, numbers, constant patterns of anything (l mean anything☹) this is truly how l know l am on the spectrum is the constant rumination of patterns.

Jobs seem to be helpful. Because my brain is so twisted over all the possible outcomes of one day that l can lull myself to sleep over-thinking. I like the sound machines if the loop end isn't to easy to discern. Because my brain hops on sound patterns so quickly then that kicks in my rumination of why is it so obvious that it just relooped. So it has to be subtle pattern or l will become exasperated. My problem recognising patterns never ends, if it is noise, numbers, constant patterns of anything (l mean anything☹) this is truly how l know l am on the spectrum is the constant rumination of patterns.

I HIGHLY recommend 'Letrofan. It doesn't loop at all.

Ok, no one has mentioned this...although a couple have come close.
Podcasts!

I have no trouble falling asleep, but since I turned 40 (the olden days), I can't stay asleep. I was waking up around 1:00 a.m. or 3:00 a.m. (which is worse because my alarm rings at 4:45 and there's no way I can convince my brain to go back to sleep for 1hr 45mins. Then while my boyfriend was dying of cancer, I started waking up ALL NIGHT long. That was more than 6 months ago and hasn't stopped.

Okay, the good part. I discovered podcasts (app = Podbean) and there's tons of information to listen to there. My particular favourite is "Stuff you should know". Each podcast is on a different topic and most are fascinating. I put my headphone bud in my good ear and listen. I always fall asleep before the end of the podcast because my brain is enjoying itself so much and listening so intently that I think it wears itself out. So I'm learning stuff AND getting lulled back to sleep by a couple of funny, smart and likeable guys.
There's religious podcasts, Buddhism podcasts, comedian podcasts, National Geographic, etc. There's got to be something for everyone on these apps. I was on a different app for a while at first but it wasn't getting updated as often as Podbean.

Hi there, Pats. I keep to my routine.

I try to not watch any TV past 8, I keep at least four blankets on my bed(weighted), I have a box fan on low, and I close my eyes and fall to sleep quite easily ...... about three nights per week.

The other nights I am mentally wrestling with ten or more bits of information that just won’t resolve them selves. I’m not sure I suffer much thru it. I try to go with it.

Oddly enough, I seem to be more tired on the nights I get 5-7 hours of sleep than the 3-5 hours.

I am up at 5am no matter what. Routine.

I wish you the best sweet dreams.

New Threads

Top Bottom