• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I hate it

You are beautiful, and that includes your scars, that define you as someone who is learning and accepting who they are. We learn to accept our flaws, then we are more accepting of us, and we become more accepting of others.

You have to own those scars, not feel ashamed. It was something you did until you found therapy. You may decide to get a small tattoo that shows your success, your daughter's name, or a bunny. Then people will ask about that. Or not, just an idea. In America, tattoos have become more accepted, less stigma.

You are beautiful, and that includes your scars, that define you as someone who is learning and accepting who they are. We learn to accept our flaws, then we are more accepting of us, and we become more accepting of others.

You have to own those scars, not feel ashamed. It was something you did until you found therapy. You may decide to get a small tattoo that shows your success, your daughter's name, or a bunny. Then people will ask about that. Or not, just an idea. In America, tattoos have become more accepted, less stigma.
That's a good idea!

My best friend is covered in scars of such nature. He usually covers up fully even in summer, but you can't avoid it at places like doctor's visits. It may be a painful memory and it can be hard to be unable to avoid people seeming to read 'deeper' into you just from how it looks. I'm unsure how I would cope as I am already uncomfortable with being observed. I hope you and him have more strength. Personally I find them beautiful, I tend to forget their context and see them as is. Hah, I remember my perhaps inappropriate reaction to seeing them for the first time was "woah, cool, you look like you were attacked by a bear." He took no offense but could not agree on them being cool either. Understandable.

Hi @Roxiee. I hope you feel better soon...

When I was really little, say 3-8 years old, I used to have recurring nightmares involving people cutting other people's skin, and/or my skin. I don't know where it came from but it was just the worst kind of nightmare I could imagine. I would wake up sick and have trouble going back to sleep. I was sometimes afraid to sleep in case I had that theme of nightmare again. No dream monsters or murderers were even a tenth as horrifying to me as that.

If I see human skin slicing on historical dramas with swords or any other blade, it's like I can feel it on my own skin and I recoil inwardly (but this does not happen with watching surgery, where the patient is asleep and not in pain). I've since heard that this bit is a form of synaesthesia, like some people hear sounds as colours or have colours associated with numbers. To an extent it also happens when I see traumatic scars on people's skin - it's like the pain itself grates down an internal kind of blackboard like the proverbial chalk.

So I have to watch myself around people with traumatic scars from whatever reason in public, because I don't want my automatic emotional reaction to be upsetting for them. I have a really useless poker face - usually it reflects what I feel. With prior warning I can always stay neutral, but sometimes if something like that springs up in my visual field suddenly, I may not be able to cover it well, and the person with the injury may briefly see my shock.

So if that was you and you briefly saw me looking shocked, what would you like me to do next? Nod and maybe smile and acknowledge you like I would anyone else who caught my eye for whatever reason, freeze over, disappear from view ASAP, something else? I know it's different for everyone, but I've never had a chance to ask someone with scars what they would like.

A friend of mine has terminal cancer. She said the worst thing was friends disappearing from her life because they didn't know how to handle this. She personally would prefer if those friends had continued to drop around for coffee and a chat and a laugh, and also if they could have discussed death like anything else, without making it into this huge black cloud and as if obliged never to smile or laugh around her again. She is really great at enjoying the time she has left and has far outlived expectations so far. She says she wants laughter and honesty and openness, and people living life.

@Roxiee I agree with @Aspychata and it was the words "includes yours scars".
I am currently coming to terms with being different (read autistic) when for ALL of my life I have been part of the mainstream. My brokenness (ie ASC diagnosis) is part of my story and it part of whom I am made to be. All of me is accepted, and so ALL of you is accepted and acceptable - no as
Aspychata said:
You are beautiful,

Last edited:
Your scars are tropies! Proof that you fought a battle that many have lost, but you came out the other side victorious. Wear them as medals of Valor, grieve for those who could not come through, but I cheer those of us that won to continue the fight.

New Threads

Top Bottom