• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I hate grocery stores.

Other people's carts being in the way is irritating, especially when an aisle has a support column in the middle of it.

Or a display. I hate displays for multiple reasons. They take up space, they're placed randomly (so if I have an item I need to put back that came from a display, it's a lot harder to find it), and customers often choose to stop between them and the other side of the aisle, blocking the whole space. Of all the spots in the aisle they could stop, it HAS to be by a display.

Let's keep in mind also that the arrangements of items on the shelves are stratified, with the more alluring and expensive products at eye level, and impulse-provoking items scattered throughout the store. Subtle manipulation!

Let's keep in mind also that the arrangements of items on the shelves are stratified, with the more alluring and expensive products at eye level, and impulse-provoking items scattered throughout the store. Subtle manipulation!

My store also constantly moves things around, especially in the produce department. They seem to change they layout every week or so. I'm told it's so people will spend more time looking for what they want, thus browse more, thus buy more. But it makes shopback really hard. And then they insist I hurry because time is money.

Oh believe me, I would have reacted the same way you did!

I am also one who lets people past, when the supermarket is busy.

I live in France and one time, I heard this other English person and so, took the courage and said hello to her and the response I got back, got the reaction you described. She said: are you that desparate; can't you go somewhere else? I was so shocked I just rushed quickly away.

Hate being yelled at or harsh words at me.

My store also constantly moves things around, especially in the produce department. They seem to change they layout every week or so. I'm told it's so people will spend more time looking for what they want, thus browse more, thus buy more. But it makes shopback really hard. And then they insist I hurry because time is money.

Makes sense from a marketing perspective. But from MY perspective if I pick up on such practices, it's more likely that I would shop elsewhere. I get incredibly annoyed when something is moved forcing me to hunt for it and waste more time.

When it comes to groceries, I'm rarely an impulse-buyer. I already know what I want, and I may go elsewhere to get it if necessary. Regardless of all the marketing BS.

I can totally understand you saying that you'll always remember this. I'm the same and I ruminate on things for ages and will remember things like this that have happened years ago randomly and then ruminate on them.

Having said that, I usually can't stop myself from making a comment back to people like that. It's happened a couple of times, and they're always the sort of people who don't expect people to respond to their snidey remarks so they're usually do taken aback when you do, that they shut up.

Only thing that bugs me about Tesco, is that I just get used to which aisle stuff's in, then they go and move it! Highly annoying.

Also there's the fact that for most of the last 10 years I've been buying National Lottery tickets from Tesco and hardly ever won anything apart from the odd 3 numbers for £25 or 2 numbers for a free "Lucky Dip", don't get me wrong I know that's not directly Tesco's fault that I'm not buying winning tickets, it's the luck, or rather lack thereof, of the draw.

Only thing that bugs me about Tesco, is that I just get used to which aisle stuff's in, then they go and move it! Highly annoying.

Also there's the fact that for most of the last 10 years I've been buying National Lottery tickets from Tesco and hardly ever won anything apart from the odd 3 numbers for £25 or 2 numbers for a free "Lucky Dip", don't get me wrong I know that's not directly Tesco's fault that I'm not buying winning tickets, it's the luck, or rather lack thereof, of the draw.
I'm with you on the shops moving things to different aisles. We have to go and do our monthly food shop tomorrow and my Mum has pre-warned us that the Lidl we use has had all new chillers and freezers, and nothing is where it used to be. Thankfully, our closest shop is Sainsburys and my husband works there so I've never had to bother learning where anything is [emoji23]

I didn't know where to post this as this is just a rant.

Yesterday, I went to Trader Joe's. It was a Saturday. I should've thought about that more closely. I walked in and regretted it immediately. I hate grocery stores. The lights, sounds, people, and overwhelming choices don't go over well with me. Add 3 kids, and it's a disaster. This time, I went alone, so I thought I could do it.

I'm pushing my cart and this woman is coming in another direction from the left. We both stop. I wait for her to go (I ALWAYS let people go. I don't like to be in people's way). She didn't. So I politely said, "excuse me" and quickly went around her so she could go on her way. I then hear the bitterest and harshest voice say, 'do you drive like that too?' I stopped, looked back in shock, and she didn't look back. I immediately start shaking and I felt the hot tears spill. I hadn't cried in a grocery store in a few years. It's embarrassing. I attempted to approach her a few times, but I was shaking too hard and I'm consoling myself thinking that if I had, I probably wouldn't have got the words out and she would've walked away with another hurtful remark, and I would've felt worse. I'm also thinking, 'hey! I'm actually a really good driver!' I'm a rule follower and very observant and I don't miss much. It felt ridiculous that I also wanted to defend my driving record. I'm probably a better driver than her!

The cashier asked what was wrong, and then the stupid tears started again. She said it was probably the election making people rude. That's a poor excuse. Anyway, the kind cashier walked me out and gave me a free bouquet of flowers.

I hate being sensitive and wish I could get over it. Unfortunately, the way my brain works, I'm going to remember this the rest of my life and I'm angry at her even more for that. What is wrong with me??
Hello she is a coward and she is very immature . what I try to do if people are abusive is not respond but do what you were planning to do it unnerves them
Stopping

Oh believe me, I would have reacted the same way you did!

I am also one who lets people past, when the supermarket is busy.

I live in France and one time, I heard this other English person and so, took the courage and said hello to her and the response I got back, got the reaction you described. She said: are you that desparate; can't you go somewhere else? I was so shocked I just rushed quickly away.

Hate being yelled at or harsh words at me.

?!?!?! That response from her makes no sense! Sorry that happened. Some people...!

I can totally understand you saying that you'll always remember this. I'm the same and I ruminate on things for ages and will remember things like this that have happened years ago randomly and then ruminate on them.

Having said that, I usually can't stop myself from making a comment back to people like that. It's happened a couple of times, and they're always the sort of people who don't expect people to respond to their snidey remarks so they're usually do taken aback when you do, that they shut up.

Yeah, I hate ruminating on things like that. 15 years later, I still hear this nasty lady's remark when I was just learning to park and I parked somewhat crookedly (but still in the lines) in front of a drug store. She said, "don't you know how to park?" Every time I park a little off center, I hear her voice. Ugh. I wish I could do the snide remark back!

I have trouble with grocery stores, too.

Thats why its not uncommon for me to go to somewhere like Walmart at 2-3am.

Hardly anyone to potentially bump into - plus, its quiet.

Can't stand grocery stores--too crowded, and add to that the fact that I can't drive (due to never having learned how, plus 20/70 vision without my glasses), it makes it even more difficult for me to go during down time (early in the morning or late at night.) I nearly had a panic attack in Walmart a few weeks ago that was so bad that it took a manager to calm me down and find a quiet place in the store (vision center) to cash me out. Haven't been back since.

End of the month. Must make my monthly pilgrimage to buy groceries. Never a pleasant task.

"Those who are about to die, salute you!" :eek:

End of the month. Must make my monthly pilgrimage to buy groceries. Never a pleasant task.

"Those who are about to die, salute you!" :eek:

"I have returned." -General Douglas MacArthur.

And me. :p

I had to turn tail and leave my local WallyWorld today.
The one of three manned registers out of 20 in the store I walked up to announced that she was having issues with a transaction and suggested we use the automated check out if we wanted to get out of the store quicker. I said why not,give it a shot.

The laser deal wouldn't do the first transaction and an associate stepped in to tell me I was doing it all wrong. Instead of directing me on how to do it properly,she just got disgusted and snipped at me instead of helping me,telling me that it was simple and no big deal.It wasn't a big deal to drop all of my desired purchases on the check out and walk out of the store.

I'm still fighting pneumonia for criminie's sake,was picking up food and medications and wasn't in the mood to play with their silly toy and do their jobs so I told her to screw Walmart for driving a customer away. She got even nastier with me after that,so I gave her a good old redneck "F all y'all" and double flipped her off.

She chased me out of the store shouting at me that I had better leave because she had called security.
The fool wasn't even able to determine that it was my fullest intention to leave and maybe never return.I'll bet her manager would be proud of how she handled herself ;)

I'd use the self-scan registers if those stupid employees would just not stand there staring at me. I'm anxious enough as it is, all they're going to do is make it worse.

New Threads

Top Bottom