• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I had a some success with everyday conversations knowing this...

pelecanus87

Article: No, I’m Not Cold and Emotionless. I Have a ‘Thinking’ Personality.

"For example, when a boyfriend gives me a gift for no special reason, I think things like, “Does this mean this relationship is serious? Oh, now I have to get him a gift! He bought me a book, he really is awesome!” As much as I am grateful about the present, I usually fail to display how I feel at that moment because other thoughts are running through my mind — even though I am really happy."

I think many aspies have a "thinking" type personality. I feel as though I'm re-learning how to "just react" to comments that people make to me. Not quite knee-jerk reactions, but just one step above it. I believe this is mainly what everyone else does. And when you react to something as your authentic self, it's a lot easier to carry on a conversation based on this. When you overthink a comment or situation, you inevitably end up focusing so much on dodging the undesirable that your response ends up seeming too scripted or robotic.

Hm, it would be easy if it wouldn't be so difficult.
It often happens if I "turn on" my authentic personality I could appear too odd and offbeat. I don't have much control over my actions and what I say. The risk to do or to say something inappropriate increases.
With thinking before doing or saying something I can at least later realize what I have done or said.

A lot of the times, I seem to (unintentionally) assume an emotionless state, but when faced with a situation that evokes emotion, it builds up (this can take anywhere from mere seconds to hours) and eventually boils over, and all semblance of logic and reasoning is removed. It starts to return when I remind myself that my judgement and reasoning are being impaired. Other times, I'm emotional, and I either express this "normally" or look emotionless (I find facial expressions sometimes difficult, awkward, and tiresome).

Sometimes I think sad, happy, or angry, other times I feel it. Regardless of how you experience emotion, I think something we might all agree on is that the"emotionless" misconception is intellectually lazy and idiotic. If a dog or a cat or even a guinea pig can experience emotions, then there's nothing short of a serious abnormality that completely robs us of emotion.

Yes, I do this all the time. A while back my youngest fell out of the car, it's quite a big car and a long way to fall.

I watch him and immediately begin to project the perceived severity of his injuries, the distance to the nearest A&E, my medical supplies and if I had recently refreshed my skin glue, butterfly plasters and antiseptic spray, I wondered what he had tripped on and how we might prevent this in future.

My husband on the other hand, stepped forward and caught him. He gave me an "are you just going to stand there?" look, and dusted the child off, who then went running happily into the house. I was still just standing there.

Yes, I do this too. Once or twice I've let my real emotion show and it has got me into trouble, so I tend to try to think it through before reaction in public - what emotion is appropiate to show, what is appropiate to say - and then react. As I child I got into trouble a lot for showing the wrong emotion . I find it hard to fake emotion, my face shows whatever emotion I'm experiencing, whether appropiate or not. I'm not a good actor unfortunately.

I am often so analytical and logical I come off as cold or emotionless... I will catch myself in this (from the million times I have been called on it) and usually say something STUPID because I didn't have time, or make time to process the information... ugh then I get upset with myself for looking like the idiot they think I am...

This is why I cherish my mostly silent way of being... Its just safer to let people think as they wish then provoke a stupid response from me that might not even make much sense at that time. Or even worse, I just say what I really think and people look at me as if I had just created an abomination, by stating pure facts with no fluff to soften the blow... I never mean it the way it sounds, but people dont understand that usually.

I've been called a robot, cold and uncaring more times than I could count, just because most people don't understand not being dramatically emotional =/= unemotional at all. I'm a fixer, not a hugger.

I've been called a robot, cold and uncaring more times than I could count, just because most people don't understand not being dramatically emotional =/= unemotional at all. I'm a fixer, not a hugger.
Ditto. I'd rather fix the problem than get all emotional. Frankly, I think emotions are pretty useless, depending on the situation, i.e crying and feeling sad didn't fix my PC, but replacing the power-supply did.

When people are feeling bad, I do try to console them, and even offer a hug.

Ditto. I'd rather fix the problem than get all emotional. Frankly, I think emotions are pretty useless, depending on the situation, i.e crying and feeling sad didn't fix my PC, but replacing the power-supply did.

When people are feeling bad, I do try to console them, and even offer a hug.
Emotions have their place; it's emotions that make me angry at injustice or feel my dog's pain. It is action that addresses the injustice or takes my dog to the vet however.

I will awkwardly offer a hug if someone is very upset, it doesn't come naturally though.

New Threads

Top Bottom