• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I got closure for the saga with my estranged mom in a weird way. I'm ready to move on

aspieman2396

First off, this is going to probably sound really weird and a little stupid but recently, one of the places that I used to frequent with my mom (A store) re-opened as a Halloween pop-up shop. So, I went inside and the memories flooded back to me, it was a weird moment but then I realized that I'm in the driver's seat of my life now and I can't let someone like her or what she said or did mess up my life... As of my last post, She never called me again or reached out to me, so that's where it stands. While it was somewhat of an emotional moment to enter that store again, I made peace with myself and this situation and now I feel happy.

I am glad to say that I am now getting counseling for the things that I'm having trouble with.

That's all for now I guess.

That does not sound weird or stupid at all. You had one of those moments in life where everything makes sense.
Good for you.

Last edited:
IMO, it takes time and bravery to chastise a parent for their mothering skills. Perhaps because I am HFA, I see the mother as an omnipotent being who strives to do her job as a parent well. My father failed as a parenting father, but he always had his heart in the right place. I find it difficult to chastise him for anything. It's easy to criticize someone when hindsight is 20/20. I know right from wrong, and I prefer to uphold the best standards. I don't have the right to second-guess the decisions of my parents. The guilt alone would send me into a coma.

It's a good idea to question everything in life. Coming to a conclusion that parents were deficient is a tough one. We all question the quality and motives of adults, and we shouldn't hold back our conclusions over emotional loyalties. Emotional loyalties skew our vision of someone, and we make excuses for them. To err is human, to forgive is divine. We can't learn unless we see every emotion that contributes to our attitudes. My parents were not selfish, but they deserved their day in the sun. They shared the sun with me.

Some parents though don’t make mistakes, honest mistakes and then feel bad about it later. Some are mean and cruel on purpose.
I’m not saying this is the case here, but it is always a possibility that I keep in mind, not all parents love their children.

New Threads

Top Bottom