• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I got better at basketball but my mother doesn't care

Annaa

I'm fairly new to basketball, but today Mt coaches told me that I got so much better so quickly and I am really happy about that.
I wanted to tell my coaches that it was all thanks to them but I couldn't, I will do it next week tough.
When I came home and told my mother about it she didn't care when I asked her if she wanted to know what they said to me she answered with what seemed a sarcastic yeah and didn't take her eyes of her phone.
I told her and she only focused on what I was wearing, I was wearing pretty long shorts but it bothered her.
She didn't even say I did well or I'm proud of you.
I wish she could come see sometimes but she never finds the time.
She's also bothered by the fact that I come home "late" it's only 8 and I come with a group of girls.
But when I ask her if she could pick me up if it bothered her that much she just says no.
I just want her to recognise me.

This post makes me so mad! Improving at a sport you are interested in is such an awesome thing and the fact that you feel proud of it shows is it is a time for recognition. It’s awful when someone is using their phone in such a way that they can ignore a person who is speaking to them. I’m very sad that this was your mother’s reaction today.

Do you think it could be helpful to talk to her later… Not necessarily about your basketball progress yet, but describe to her how hurtful it was that she acted the way she did? Home by eight with a group of friends after playing basketball? Most parents would be so thrilled to have a teenager like this and they would recognize them every day for making good choices.

Most importantly… Well done with basketball! Keep it up! That’s so awesome to hear that you have improved and you really should be proud.

1696963832682.jpeg

This post makes me so mad! Improving at a sport you are interested in is such an awesome thing and the fact that you feel proud of it shows is it is a time for recognition. It’s awful when someone is using their phone in such a way that they can ignore a person who is speaking to them. I’m very sad that this was your mother’s reaction today.

Do you think it could be helpful to talk to her later… Not necessarily about your basketball progress yet, but describe to her how hurtful it was that she acted the way she did? Home by eight with a group of friends after playing basketball? Most parents would be so thrilled to have a teenager like this and they would recognize them every day for making good choices.

Most importantly… Well done with basketball! Keep it up! That’s so awesome to hear that you have improved and you really should be proud.

View attachment 118017
Thank you ❤️ I really appreciate it.
I'll try to talk to my mother but I'm worried she'll just get offended.

My AS mother was only ever vaguely aware of me as an individual. She was always surprised that I didn't do exactly what she would have done as a boy. She never tried to understand my accomplishments, nor my cu]ircumstances.

Among the most painful of things are when a parent rejects us or ignores us.
I feel for you, Annaa. Don't let it get you too down and be sure to hang around here for some good friendship and empathy.

I just want to say "I hear you" and I hope some day, your mom will cheer for you and maybe, just maybe, show up at a game.

Autism is hereditary.

Maybe she has an audio processing disorder and honestly didn't hear you. Maybe her mask is to say "That's nice" or to bring up some other subject, to hide that she couldn't truly hear what you just said.

Make sure the environment is free of distractions, sit with her, look her in the face, and make sure she's connected and focused. Then tell her again, slowly, and clearly, all about the amazing strides you are making in sports.

I know it sucks that she doesn't come, but does she go many public places? What if it makes her feel panicky to be in a crowd of people for a long time?

It could be she has an invisible disability.

New Threads

Top Bottom