• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensitive Topic I don't know why this upsets me so much...

It is abusive. Sure, not in-your-face-violent abuse, but abusive nonetheless. There's a difference between teasing your kids and bullying them. Swap students for the kid & mother, and it's called hazing (which apparently a lot of people don't find morally reprehensible, otherwise, it wouldn't go on). Also, seems like a great way to trigger an eating disorder, but hey, in a world where some people came up with "alcoolorexia" (i.e. starving yourself so that you can drink more, regardless of calorie count), nothing surprises me anymore.

I read that same article, by the way. I got upset reading the comments about a mother who asked her kid to watch a movie with her at 10 p.m. on a school night, and when the kid refused, she threatened to serve fish sticks to the vegetarian friends coming to the kid's sleepover a few days later... not as downright troubling as forcing a kid to eat till they vomit, but there's still a major issue, in my eyes, with a parent who views their movie-viewing as more important as allowing their child to get a proper night's sleep so that they can properly function in school the next day. But everybody thought this was perfectly fine, and she never would have served the fish sticks. Oh, really? If a mother doesn't give a crap about her kid's health and school work, I have a hard time believing she's going to give a bigger crap about the diet of said kid's vegetarian friends. Also sounds like one of those parents who had kids so that they wouldn't be alone, and subject their children to all sorts of weird kind of sexual things, or insist on sleeping with them well into their teenage years. Man, I really need to get off of BuzzFeed, I think.

those are harsh, for sure- but so was when I got a crack across the face, followed by a guffawing "WHOOPS! my hand slipped!" repeatedly.

Last edited:
I guess I'll weigh in on this, especially as an adult survivor of an abusive narcissistic mother. I don't agree with what the mother did and think it was borderline abuse; but I can't help but wonder if the mother had been a better parent would the girl had been out drinking in the first place? The kids I knew that drank as teens usually came from dysfunctional homes; and in most cases single parent homes. I can say that with authority, as I was one of them.
I had a friend in high school who would go out and get drunk and one night when she stumbled in the door her mother screamed at her, "I'm glad you're not my child!" That's how she found out she was adopted.

It is abusive. Sure, not in-your-face-violent abuse, but abusive nonetheless. There's a difference between teasing your kids and bullying them. Swap students for the kid & mother, and it's called hazing (which apparently a lot of people don't find morally reprehensible, otherwise, it wouldn't go on). Also, seems like a great way to trigger an eating disorder, but hey, in a world where some people came up with "alcoolorexia" (i.e. starving yourself so that you can drink more, regardless of calorie count), nothing surprises me anymore.

I read that same article, by the way. I got upset reading the comments about a mother who asked her kid to watch a movie with her at 10 p.m. on a school night, and when the kid refused, she threatened to serve fish sticks to the vegetarian friends coming to the kid's sleepover a few days later... not as downright troubling as forcing a kid to eat till they vomit, but there's still a major issue, in my eyes, with a parent who views their movie-viewing as more important as allowing their child to get a proper night's sleep so that they can properly function in school the next day. But everybody thought this was perfectly fine, and she never would have served the fish sticks. Oh, really? If a mother doesn't give a crap about her kid's health and school work, I have a hard time believing she's going to give a bigger crap about the diet of said kid's vegetarian friends. Also sounds like one of those parents who had kids so that they wouldn't be alone, and subject their children to all sorts of weird kind of sexual things, or insist on sleeping with them well into their teenage years. Man, I really need to get off of BuzzFeed, I think.

Yeah, I remember reading about that one too. You're right, it is an incredibly immature thing for a parent to do. I guess it just didn't get to me as much because it didn't seem malicious? Selfish yes, but I felt sorry for the mom more than anything. I mean, you have to be pretty desperate for company to force your kid to stay up with you on a school night just to watch a movie. But I completely get why it bothered you.

Yeah thats quite nasty... My punishment from mum after coming home drunk at 14 was having to go to school hungover the next day lol.

Since a lot of this information seems to be online in video format, is it mostly a younger crowd that approves of this kind of behavior?

When people are frustrated that things don't go their way, it's ashame that our own family members may unintentionally react improperly- some more extremely than others. While one can say that our younger generations have lost much empathy, one can also add that the older generation is just as responsible for letting the younger generation get this way as it has.

Try seeing these videos (you might have seen some of these):

All I can say about all of this, is that if punishing a child involves humiliating them, purposefully trying to make them sick, or trying to cause enough emotional distress that they break down crying, it is abuse. I think it's especially awful when these extreme punishments are given out because of bad grades. Partially because, grades have little to no bearing on your future until you get to high school, and even then it's not the be-all-end-all. It is important to learn the skills they teach in grade school so you can do well when it counts, but the actual letter grades don't matter at all, at least not where I live.

Honestly, this is why students go to such great lengths to get good grades, at the expense of their health and even to the point of cheating. Society tells us that a child's worth is based on their GPA, and frankly that's complete nonsense. Grades depend on so many factors outside the student's control, such as how tough the teacher is, what subjects they are taking, whether or not they have a learning disability, etc. And I say all of this as someone who graduated high school with over a 4.0 GPA, because I know plenty of people who were smarter than me who didn't do as well as they could've because of these outside factors.

Sick as [expletive deleted]. Truly sick. I don't know where I came from, but I am in no way related to any species that would do this to their own young and couch it is "discipline."
WHAT HAPPENED to that little boy who had to smash his xbox? Does anyone know? His dad is a disgusting excuse for some kind of moving and breathing protozoa. That poor kid. If the father is so proud to post this, Can you imagine what he HAS NOT FILMED??

Sick as [expletive deleted]. Truly sick. I don't know where I came from, but I am in no way related to any species that would do this to their own young and couch it is "discipline."
WHAT HAPPENED to that little boy who had to smash his xbox? Does anyone know? His dad is a disgusting excuse for some kind of moving and breathing protozoa. That poor kid. If the father is so proud to post this, Can you imagine what he HAS NOT FILMED??

I couldn't agree more. I can't even imagine what he'd be willing to do behind closed doors, and frankly I don't want to. I really hope the little boy is doing okay.

Ugh, that is awful. However, it is not uncommon. Had I been adopted, I'm quite confident my mother would have done the same. She died leaving me with significant doubt that the guy on my birth certificate is not my biological father.

It will always be a curiosity to me why they require people to be licensed for things like driving, being a doctor, etc that require education, but not for being a parent. There are some people that exist on this planet that have no business having children.

The word for those children used to be 'infantry' i.e. Cannon fodder.

I've always had this weird problem with my joints that no doctor was ever really willing to look into. If something touch my knees if they were unbent, I felt like I was going to pass out. My mom thought she was being funny and would grab me by the knees when she caught them unbent.

My opinions:

10) Shaving head and forcing child to run up the street in a diaper = serious child abuse.
9) Selling concert tickets on Ebay = harsh punishment, but not child abuse if the child deserved such a serious punishment.
8) Starvation = extremely severe child abuse, parents should be locked up.
7) Paid kidnapping = serious child abuse if the child didn't expect it as would have been frightened for life, if the child was given notice to be sent to a licensed / government backed boot camp then it would have been just a very severe punishment.
6) Shooting laptop = harsh punishment, but it would have been much better to just remove the laptop and dodgy since using guns shouldn't be encouraged around children.
5) Stay clear boys t-sheet = not really child abuse, but in my opinion not appropriate.
4) Dad in short shorts = not really child abuse, but a silly punishment and not really appropriate.
3) Holding shameful sign for whole spring break = in my opinion child abuse, this is beyond any reasonable punishment for the whole spring break.
2) Facebook hack = not really child abuse and could be protecting their child online, but I'm not sure of the legal standing with hacking the account and there would have been better ways to protect the child online.
1) Hot sauce = serious child abuse, especially since the child's mouth was burnt, the parents should have been punished and sadly got away with it.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all your replies, but do you think you guys could stop posting all those videos on here? I know you probably mean the best and I hope this doesn't come off as rude, (I have trouble figuring out when I do sometimes) but they're starting to get really upsetting. Plus, I don't think the victims would want them being spread around anymore than they already have. I hate all these awful things that are happening, and it's just hard having a constant reminder that I can't do anything about it.

I hope you all understand, and thanks. :)

Thank you so much for all your replies, but do you think you guys could stop posting all those videos on here? I know you probably mean the best and I hope this doesn't come off as rude, (I have trouble figuring out when I do sometimes) but they're starting to get really upsetting. Plus, I don't think the victims would want them being spread around anymore than they already have. I hate all these awful things that are happening, and it's just hard having a constant reminder that I can't do anything about it.

I hope you all understand, and thanks. :)

I'm sorry.

I think breaking the consoles and electronics us too far because what will the kids be able to do when they're good? They'll no longer be able to enjoy the stuff they like. If the thing is destroyed, what's the point of being good? That just teaches kids that adults (including parents) are selfish beings who like to wreck their kids' fun, and that just leads to more had behavior against adults. Not to mention that stuff costs a lot of money, so it's a waste just to destroy it. Selling it is bad, too, because of the first reason. What if the kid reforms? They'll still have nothing. I think it's better to just simply take the computer/console or whatever until they ate good. The thing is that you just have to have it with you or locked away somewhere while you have the key. My mother takes my little brother's stuff when he's bad, and that works just fine. For example, a kid who was bad just one time has all his game consoles destroyed. Then when he's good, he can't get back on it because it's destroyed. What else would he do, especially if he had no friends and that was the only thing to entertain him? With all entertainment gone, there's nothing to do but to sink into a depression from boredom. Then that leads to more psychological issues. I'm glad my mother never made me destroy my stuff for punishment. (The last tiem i got punished for something was when i was little) She just took it away, and that was enough for me to learn to be good because boredom got to me. Of course, I wasn't intentionally bad; I just have issues, and I was stuck with be bad step father who basically tried to get me into trouble for nothing. He just wanted to see me get punished.

Last edited:
That reminds me of some of the dodgy things that went on when attended a junior school in the late 1970s. My parents kept sending me to a non special school against expert advice and I had a terrible time throughout all my school days, but before I moved to a better school at 10 years old when my parents moved home I had an even worse time due to genuine abuse from the teachers at this particular junior school which I won't name here.

I remember a teacher named Mrs Jones who took us outside into the playground, she then ordered the class to hold our arms out and spin around in circles and she wouldn't let us stop. This went on and on and we all felt very giddy wanting to stop, but she just demanded that we went faster and it became torturous, many of us started feeling ill, but she still shouted and demanded that we continue and it felt like forever. Finally she let us stop and most of us including myself were feeling very sick while some kids were in fact throwing up, but she had absolutely no sympathy and went nuts at anyone who dared to throw up forcing them to clean it up, she then demanded we went inside to write about what it feels like to feel ill. This was obviously abuse and this kind of thing was very common.

The very same Mrs Jones used to enjoy sitting in the hot sun and often used to make us go to the outside grass or sometimes even the nearby park where she would totally relax and sunbath, but she didn't let us do our own thing, instead she insisted we all stayed in the hot sun to work and despite being extremely thirsty, overheated and sometimes even sun burnt, she continued to demand that we sit in the sun, threatening any children that dared to go into the shade. It was torturous and it was obviously another case of abuse.

The school used to have a regular school disco after school which was supposed to be optional and I didn't feel comfortable attending. It cost just 10 pence to attend and the head teacher Mr. Gospel kept saying how we were supporting the school by going and how important this was, they severely pressured us to go. I couldn't face going and actually gave them their 10p for a ticket, but still sneaked out of school at the end. The next day the kids that didn't attend including myself were forced to stand up in assembly to be screamed at very nastily by Mr. Gospel and another psychotic teacher called Mrs Burn who specifically shouted at me saying that she hopes I get nothing for Christmas in front of the school.

The previous head master Mr. Barwell was one of the few teachers that appeared to be reasonably stable, but after about 1 year he sadly retired and the new headmaster Mr. Gospel seemed to fit in much "better" with the rest of the abusive staff. In assembly Mr. Barwell once asked me a question which I responded to in the best way I could, I can't remember exactly what it was about, except that the head master laughed and was perfectly happy with my answer. After the assembly Mrs Jones started shouting and criticising my response saying that I had let down the class. She then demanded that the rest of the class totally ignore me for the rest of the day as a punishment. Looking back I think Mr. Barwell would have been shocked if he knew exactly what was going on as it seemed to be mainly hidden behind his back as otherwise I surely would have been punished in front of the headmaster.

There was a teacher called Miss Darby who a few years ago was still listed as being a teacher at the school, assuming it's the same teacher she would had been close to retirement age and probably would have retired by now. She was often all over the little boys, literally forcing them to kiss her. She used to make a big thing of it and often sent for who she called her "favourites" even when they were in other classes, she would go on how lovely they were while forcing them to kiss her and she'd often say things like just one more time, hugging them repeatedly, but looking back the children were actually frightened and had no choice but to comply. It was extremely dodgy to say the very least and if she was like that openly I only wonder what she might have been like if she was ever with boys in private. I'm glad I was never one of her "favourite" boys.

At Christmas we were all made to make a Christmas card and it was then given to a random girl decided by a drawn raffle ticket. This wasn't the issue, the issue was the teachers then demanded that we kissed the girl, I didn't want to and didn't feel comfortable, but I remember a teacher physically holding us together while I was trying to fight to get away.

I remember when a child wet himself in class and Mrs Jones forced another child to clean it up in front of her for her amusement, she did actually get criticised my a disgusted parent who later found out and I remember my parents criticising her actions too, but nothing changed.

My parents had a severe problem with the school because I was repeatedly screamed at by the headmaster in his office simply because the corners of my school book were turned up (not flat), they amazingly sent for my parents about the issue who were shocked that I was being severely punished for this (I was a 9 year old aspie at the time). My parents drew the teachers attention to the good work inside the book which they didn't seem to even care about, the school was always more interested in pure presentation than any actual work content.

Miss Burn who I mentioned earlier used to do nothing but scream and threaten us, often with violence, she would often tell us that she was "in a bad mood today" so we're not allowed to speak and if anyone dared to as much as whisper she would go nuts and sometimes strike them. It was normal to be slapped and hit by the staff, but this was "legal" in those days. Apparently Miss Burn was divorced and had a lot of boy friend troubles which she often complained about when she took it out on the children. The newer headmaster Mr. Gospel used to hit his fair share of children too and would often work closely with Miss Burn, I for instance remember him hitting 1 child in assembly on stage so hard that his strike literally launched him across the stage to finally fall.

I used to get bullied, something that I had to put up with throughout all my school life for being different, but at this junior school the teachers wouldn't listen and just had a go at me for asking for help, often even telling me to stand up for myself. Once at lunch time I remember going inside to get away from bullies when inside was normally out of bounds at this time, but I was shouted at and forced to go back outside even though I told them I was being attacked.

This is just a small amount of what went on and abuse was a daily occurrence at this school, this is however nothing to the abuse my friend received when he was a child in the "care system" and at boarding school which makes my old junior school look like total paradise, it wouldn't be fair to detail this here, but it is nothing short of shocking (I suspect my friend is on the autistic spectrum, although so far not diagnosed).

In the 1970s I believe abuse at British schools was much more common place and was rarely investigated back then, in fact if any children dared mention anything about abuse they'd usually be the ones to be punished. Not all schools were like this however as after I moved home at 10 years old my new Junior school was a lot better. I for instance remember when my pencil broke and I was frightened when I had to ask the teacher about it because at my old junior school we were normally shouted at and sometimes slapped if a pen stopped working or a pencil broke because apparently we weren't looking after school property, but the teacher just gave me another without any issue what-so-ever, I remember being relieved and very surprised, my new school was so different in a good way that after a while I realised how much we was being abused at my old school.
That first school sounds like a circus.

New Threads

Top Bottom