1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I don't know whether I want to hug or strangle my childhood self

Discussion in 'General Autism Discussion' started by jleeb05, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Suzette

Suzette Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Yes! This is exactly what I mean. In my case there was actual physical neglect, and my brother was truly an abusive bully, but I can see how I might interpret ordinary things negatively too.
    My mothet always seems so dismissive of me as a person, like my accomplishents, experience and opinions don't matter. But what if her motives, tone, and words are benign and I just misinterpret them?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Gerald Wilgus

Gerald Wilgus Well-Known Member

Exactly. I developed negativity to keep myself from hurt and rejection and now recognize the bias that walled me away from connection. Very damaging during those years critical for social development.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. jleeb05

jleeb05 Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

While I'm sure autism is mostly, if not entirely, biological there seems to be a common theme of not having one's needs met as a child, especially by parents. For the most part, I feel that my Mom did a great job and we still talk every day on the phone. But growing up, I still had the experience of feeling misunderstood and not fully supported by her.

As I've done my research into ASD, my Mom and I have both realized that there are signs that she may also be on the spectrum. I wonder how this might have impacted her parenting style. On the other hand, I wonder how my autism might have influenced my perception of her. I clearly wanted a fighter/protector. Someone who would make the world feel safe but that was not her.

• Like Like x 1