• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I don't know whether I want to hug or strangle my childhood self

While my mother tried to give us enriching activities, I felt that she was incapable of guiding me socially, so I interpreted much of her messages as demands. I think that even though I was mocked about my interests at first, the social isolation, feeling apart, even though among people, I feel most neglected by that isolation. Nobody cared. And at times I think acquaintences just assumed that I didn't have the same needs and desires as they.

Yes! This is exactly what I mean. In my case there was actual physical neglect, and my brother was truly an abusive bully, but I can see how I might interpret ordinary things negatively too.
My mothet always seems so dismissive of me as a person, like my accomplishents, experience and opinions don't matter. But what if her motives, tone, and words are benign and I just misinterpret them?

Yes! This is exactly what I mean. In my case there was actual physical neglect, and my brother was truly an abusive bully, but I can see how I might interpret ordinary things negatively too.
My mothet always seems so dismissive of me as a person, like my accomplishents, experience and opinions don't matter. But what if her motives, tone, and words are benign and I just misinterpret them?
Exactly. I developed negativity to keep myself from hurt and rejection and now recognize the bias that walled me away from connection. Very damaging during those years critical for social development.

While I'm sure autism is mostly, if not entirely, biological there seems to be a common theme of not having one's needs met as a child, especially by parents. For the most part, I feel that my Mom did a great job and we still talk every day on the phone. But growing up, I still had the experience of feeling misunderstood and not fully supported by her.

As I've done my research into ASD, my Mom and I have both realized that there are signs that she may also be on the spectrum. I wonder how this might have impacted her parenting style. On the other hand, I wonder how my autism might have influenced my perception of her. I clearly wanted a fighter/protector. Someone who would make the world feel safe but that was not her.

New Threads

Top Bottom