• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I Can’t Stop Pacing

anon190504

I have paced around, mostly when I’m excited but sometimes due to anxiety, since I can remember. When I was little, I’d pick up a favorite picture book and daydream while walking around the house, “running around” I called it.

It’s never been an issue before, but lately it’s become an inconvenience. I’ve gotten completely obsessed with a new show this past month and can’t help but plug in my music and just pace whenever I see content related to it that makes me excited or happy.

I’ve begun to do this even late at night after I’m already in bed if I happen to see something that gets me riled up. I hate to admit it, but it’s affecting my sleep schedule. Just this morning, I wasted time pacing for at least an hour when I have things to do.

Can anyone else relate and is there a way to reduce this urge so I can enjoy the things I love in a healthy manner?

One thing you could do is not listen to music or television or movies within a half hour before bedtime. Create a routine where you clean up and brush your teeth and get ready for bed and then do so. Also avoid blue light from screens or your phone which keep you awake.

Pacing can happen with anyone, NT or ASD, but I associate it with an excess of nervousness and doesn't usually happen often. But I have seen a few people on the spectrum do it in a more habitual way like you describe. Not sure what it is really, but if I had to guess would say it's a form of stimming.

I don't have a reasonable suggestion on how to stop it, but can come up with all sorts of ridiculous and silly methods.

1. Hire Ninjas to hide in the closet in shifts. Give them instructions to jump out and take you down any time they see you pacing.

2. Get a motion sensor that sets off a loud annoying alarm. Activate it when you go to sit down at your computer or sleep.

3. They sell plans for a build it yourself people-sized hamster wheel. This wouldn't eliminate the problem but at least contain it to one area.

0000000.jpg

;)

Pacing has never been much of an issue but it's happened to me as well. I link it to anxiety.

I have paced around, mostly when I’m excited but sometimes due to anxiety, since I can remember. When I was little, I’d pick up a favorite picture book and daydream while walking around the house, “running around” I called it.

It’s never been an issue before, but lately it’s become an inconvenience. I’ve gotten completely obsessed with a new show this past month and can’t help but plug in my music and just pace whenever I see content related to it that makes me excited or happy.

I’ve begun to do this even late at night after I’m already in bed if I happen to see something that gets me riled up. I hate to admit it, but it’s affecting my sleep schedule. Just this morning, I wasted time pacing for at least an hour when I have things to do.

Can anyone else relate and is there a way to reduce this urge so I can enjoy the things I love in a healthy manner?

I use distraction, simple things, dishes, organizing, mindless , seems to help

or Ninjas in the closet

Last edited:
One thing you could do is not listen to music or television or movies within a half hour before bedtime. Create a routine where you clean up and brush your teeth and get ready for bed and then do so. Also avoid blue light from screens or your phone which keep you awake.

Currently working on anchor points, seems to help,
Many thanks

New Threads

Top Bottom