• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I believe a teen friend is an aspie. Should I talk to his parents?

Should I tell a parent I think her son is an Aspie?

• yes by all means

• yes but carefully

• maybe, depends

• no, i dont think so

• no way!

Results are only viewable after voting.

albert

My son is 16 and has a good friend who I suspect is an Aspie.
I was only recently diagnosed as an Aspie and it was so relieving to know that there was a reason I was different. I know that if I could have known at a younger age my life would have been quite different.

I dont know the teens parents. Should I approach them? tell them about my diagnosis and tell them I have a feeling their son is an Aspie?

geez.. How do i approach them? And should I?

Does you son think his friend is an Aspie? Does your son understand what it means to be autistic?
The subject might better be broached by him, in a casual question or something. You could always ask him directly. Or the parents.

It could go either way. Some people are offended by the idea, others embrace it. My parents didn't believe I was until I got my official diagnosis letter.
Some people still won't accept the idea, for unknown reasons.

I come across folks time to time, I think are aspies too, and have asked about three of them. Two of the three were quite offended to have been asked...
I would only ask if I knew the friend was undiagnosed and struggling in some way, or suffering negative consequences.
Sorry for edits. My phone has the text and post buttons so close.

Last edited:
That's a tough question to answer. If you had a direct relationship with the boy such as being a teacher, you'd have a little ethical ground to stand on. But for someone you don't even know, let alone their parents, I'd probably decline.

I would only ask if I knew the friend was undiagnosed and struggling in some way, or suffering negative consequences.

I agree with that. I would caution against making a quick decision - there are too many unknowns without being more familiar with the family.

New Threads

Top Bottom