• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hypocrisy In Children's Media

Riley

I have known several cartoons that show 'growing up' as a bleak time that you're gonna have to suck it up and prepare for. Little kids are told about debt and jobs and all that WITHOUT any sort of padding. "They MUST be prepared for the outside world!"

But what about topics such as death? Or the LGBT+ community? Or even abusive relationships? "Oh, GOODNESS no! Children MUSN'T see that! They're MUCH too young!"

So...It's okay to bluntly tell children that adulthood will be hard and boring and terrible, but death and buxom ladies and LGBT+ stuff are a no-no?

Okay, I am a MAJOR hypocrite on this. Why? My favorite cartoon, Xiaolin Showdown, glosses over the fact that:
  • China is a communist country (Although character Vlad wears the Russian communish symbol)
  • Japan is a strange, sexual place with a forest all for suicide and a serial killer as a celebrity.
  • Brazil is a poor, crime-riddled place.
  • Texas isn't full of cowboys. Rather, it's filled to the brim with conservative jerkwads.
And I'm cool with that. Because I like that show. If I hate a show, THEN I see its flaws.

I'm sure all of you have heard about the new Powerpuff Girls show. Ya know, where they removed Miss Sara Bellum for being too sexual.

And can someone confirm whether or not the "Killer" from "Killer Frost"'s name was ACTUALLY removed for her DC Superhero Girls version.

Again: I am aware Teen Titans Go heavily features death. BUT they're Maxwell Atom/Tim Burton wannabes who just make Batman & Robin look like Frozen.

Society is presently at war over core values in general. Pick a side.

Or not.

In the meantime I'm just waiting to see when someone fires on Fort Sumter.

Again.

As for publishers of children's literature they're likely to pander to target audiences of parents- not the kids. But only the parents who share certain perceived values. Assuming of course that there's money in it. And kowtowing to certain special interest groups who can give publishers some real fits if they publish things they don't like.

Last edited:
I try not to judge a show by its voice work or art style. Except Xiaolin Chronicles. But that's another story. What's important is: That show removed Sara Bellum. That was just unAmerican.

And Chronicles never insulted/'called out' their haters OR had the Monks beat up on innocent people. Or baited people.

Meh, most remakes of old franchises tend to be crap compared to the originals, remember the 2002 remake of He Man? Or the 2005 remake of Thundercats? Both were awful IMO.

And I'm sure the forthcoming Power Rangers reboot will also suck, but I'll still go and see it f I'm not working.

New Threads

Top Bottom