• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hypervigilance

I empathize with you, as I began to experience the same difficulties, as the result of social anxiety, however, I am doing better, now, after working with a trauma therapist. I had always had social anxiety, but, it hadn't hindered my life so drastically, as it had, after a particular experience I had. I am grateful I don't have quite the level of fear I once had, and understand how hard it can be to have to face people, with so much looming uncertainty. I hope that, perhaps, your anxiety will diminish, eventually.

Doesn't help, living in a different country with a different language and my social anxiety is so much worse here. However, I was giving meds a couple of year's ago and sense that they corrected something in my brain, as suddenly, when I popped out, I felt less surreal and when cars went passed, I was able to ignore them. I do not feel like a child ie vunerable anymore, but at the same time, has not taken away every fear, as I cannot venture out that far.

To be honest, this covid situation has improved my anxiety levels drastically.

I find myself mostly always alert and it raises my anxiety if I don't pay attention to my surroundings occasionally. I mostly just have extreme social anxiety and not ptsd though I have experienced trauma. I've never been called hypervigilant but I guess I just am more comfortable paying attention to things.

When I'm outside of the house I have to be aware of things so I don't fall or accidentally get hurt which has nearly happened too many times for me to count. So I guess I just started paying extra attention from not wanting to get hurt but now it doesn't go away by itself and I will just always be focused on my surroundings even if I'm reading a book. I feel terribly sorry for you though.

Normally counting up one number at a time to several hundreds helps me get out of that state to think about something else, otherwise I may not relax until hours later when I'm at home. Otherwise it helps me to mentally picture a calm scene in my head to try to distract myself, and that's the only time I'll daydream since I don't often daydream.

I am also hypervigilant. It's a two-edged sword. It has both saved my life and ruined it in ways. I don't feel that it should be eradicated as it can be a great self-defense mechanism. The best thing to do is to learn to control it as best as possible. I do this through exposure "therapy" (I don't go to therapy), but I force myself to go into uncomfortable situations and while in those situations I focus on relaxing as much as possible or focusing on good aspects of the situation. For example: I'm a teacher, people make me very nervous, especially the new students I get. I focus my hypervigilance on getting to know the new students and learning what makes them tick. After a few classes, I am no longer so uptight and worried about them and in many cases enjoy their company. I've met a quite a few students that are not only students but also teachers and friends. You always have to remember that there are other people who are similar. Find relatable things and try not to look for the things you can't relate to and so on.

Another good thing to do is to train in some form of martial art, learn to protect yourself if necessary. If you do this you'll feel more confident and less worried about people doing you physical harm. It's the mental harm that some always seem to be capable of inflicting.

In this day and age it's not very hard to be on edge and to let your fears overcome you.

I hope this helps and I truly feel for you.

Thank you very much, for your kind sentiments and useful suggestions. I've been pondering what you mentioned, regarding exposure therapy, and wonder if it is similar to what I have been attempting, by writing on the forum, and refraining from deleting my posts, which I tend to do, as the result of anxiety/OCD/ social anxiety.

I like the idea of martial arts, and will look into it. I don't have fear of physical harm, per se, but, I think, as you mentioned, it can help develop self-confidence, of which I have been lacking. You had also mentioned yoga, of which I had practiced in past, and have, recently, taken up, again. Yoga had helped me in multiple ways, particularly, with regard to anxiety and other symptoms of ptsd. Thank you, again, for everything.

edited: I think you are right, with regard to the positive aspect of hypervigilannce. It has definitely saved me in various situations, as well. I think it does come down to, acquiring a balance and the ability to control it in some way. I haven't acquired that, yet, but, I am hopeful. I also wanted to wish you all the best with the situations you mentioned, you contend with.

Last edited:
I agree with tom about the martial arts but would expand that discipline to include many of the less violent styles. Exercise of any type is most helpful. A bicycle is a great blessing in an urban area, the speed of it is " just right".
Hobbies also can provide a distraction, i enjoy making... things. Also writing. For those wounds which lie too deep, writing fiction surrounding a character, can ease the issue ....
Thank you so much. I used to write, in my efforts to process difficult emotions and events I experienced, but, have never given thought to writing fiction/about a fictional character as a distraction from everything. I am, generally, not versed with fiction, but, I can envision this being effective, and will, perhaps, put it to use.

I do find exercise beneficial. I swim and hike, 3 to 4 times per week, and, walk each morning. If I feel panic or anxiety rearing, I try to engage in some form of vigorous exercise, if time permits, such as sprint around the block, or similar, which releases endorphins, which Ive noticed can keep me calm for hours, following.

Indeed, I, too, enjoy building/ creating things, and do this, regularly, in some capacity or other. I teach woodworking and ceramics, which is helpful in this regard.

Thank you, again, for all of your helpful suggestions.

You could pretend to be someone else. Pick someone you know who is calm and collected and imagine being them.
Thank you, Fino. I suppose I am doing something similar, in that, I've begun to follow the path of a teacher, who possesses traits of which I find calming, peaceful/grounding. Thanks very much for your suggestion.

Last edited:
I'd recommend reading Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving.

I'm reading it at the moment and it does specifically mention about hypervigilance being one of numerous manifestations of the inner-critic. It has numerous exercises and tools to help reel in the inner and outer critics, which; through practice should help reduce such behaviours, along with anxieties and depression.

Ed
Thank you for sharing this. I will definitely check out the book, as it sounds as though it could be a helpful resource.

I find myself mostly always alert and it raises my anxiety if I don't pay attention to my surroundings occasionally. I mostly just have extreme social anxiety and not ptsd though I have experienced trauma. I've never been called hypervigilant but I guess I just am more comfortable paying attention to things.

When I'm outside of the house I have to be aware of things so I don't fall or accidentally get hurt which has nearly happened too many times for me to count. So I guess I just started paying extra attention from not wanting to get hurt but now it doesn't go away by itself and I will just always be focused on my surroundings even if I'm reading a book. I feel terribly sorry for you though.

Normally counting up one number at a time to several hundreds helps me get out of that state to think about something else, otherwise I may not relax until hours later when I'm at home. Otherwise it helps me to mentally picture a calm scene in my head to try to distract myself, and that's the only time I'll daydream since I don't often daydream.
Thank you for sharing your experience, here. When I was quite young, my Mom taught me to visualize a scene in which brought me peace, or that I simply, enjoyed, and I have been practicing this throughout my life. I have also, recently, learned a breathing technique, which helps in such incidences, although, you may already know of it, as I am finding that most people do. I never thought of counting, but, can see how it could be helpful, and will give it a go. Thank you, again.

I'm not sure hyper vigilance is ever eradicated. Doesn't necessarily follow that it can't be accepted and managed.

Whatever perception you approach a situation with, the opposite could also be true.

When next in a situation anxiety & hyper vigilance are triggered,
listen to what you are telling yourself in those moments.
Then question what you are telling yourself.
Offer yourself alternative explanation/reasoning. (remembering the opposite of what you're telling yourself in those moments could also be true)

Being afraid is okay.
Fear itself ISN'T a 'disorder'.
it's perfectly normal and a handy survival mechanism.

I guess it comes down to what we're telling ourselves once it's triggered.
Thank you, Gracey. I will definitely heed your suggestions, and think they could be of great help.

Doesn't help, living in a different country with a different language and my social anxiety is so much worse here. However, I was giving meds a couple of year's ago and sense that they corrected something in my brain, as suddenly, when I popped out, I felt less surreal and when cars went passed, I was able to ignore them. I do not feel like a child ie vunerable anymore, but at the same time, has not taken away every fear, as I cannot venture out that far.

To be honest, this covid situation has improved my anxiety levels drastically.
I'm so glad you've found a source of relief for those difficulties.

Indeed, I too, have found things have become more peaceful, as the result of the world shutting down.

Last edited:
Id recommend seeing your therapist and getting an anxiety prescription medicine for sleep,you need help as your body is damaged, sleep has amazing restorative properties

Id recommend seeing your therapist and getting an anxiety prescription medicine for sleep,you need help as your body is damaged, sleep has amazing restorative properties
Thanks, Streetwise. I appreciate your input. Somehow, I'm unable to tolerate medication, but, I take an amino acid called L-Theanine and utilize CBD oil, both of which have helped to minimize anxiety to a large extent, although, not the hypervigilance. With regard to sleep, I have been taking magnesium glycinate in combination with CBD oil, which seems to be helping.

Thanks, Streetwise. I appreciate your input. Somehow, I'm unable to tolerate medication, but, I take an amino acid called L-Theanine and utilize CBD oil, both of which have helped to minimize anxiety to a large extent, although, not the hypervigilance. With regard to sleep, I have been taking magnesium glycinate in combination with CBD oil, which seems to be helping.
Have you told your therapist you're taking these supplements as it makes your illness more official as opposed to being diagnosed hypochondria

New Threads

Top Bottom