• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hypervigilance

Loren

V.I.P Member
I wonder if anyone else on the forum might experience hypervigilance, and possibly have some words of wisdom, or, suggestions as to how to eradicate it. It has, somewhat, taken over my mind/ controls how I perceive situations, which has, at times, been inaccurate, and, therefor, has put a strain on interpersonal communication and has damaged a couple friendships/relationships.

It becomes extreme if ptsd is triggered, but, in the moment, I seem to be unable to decipher between an actual threat, and my thoughts simply being irrational, or over-protective.

I also have social anxiety, so, perhaps, this makes it more intense. My hope is that I can reestablish peace of mind, and some of the naivety, or mental freedom I used to experience.

Thank you for listening, and for any input/ words of wisdom, or, for sharing your own experience with hypervigilance.

Hi Loren.

No words of wisdom or suggestions, sadly, because I am "accused" of being inaccurate yet, as far as I am concerned, I fully believe I am accurate, so I have to control myself to not state that.

I also suffer social anxiety, but on the extreme level. I can just about walk to our bins and the post box but both have to be done before 8 am, so that I can feel safe from meeting anyone.

I can walk around a supermarket on my own, but cannot go into the shop on my own and the cash area either.

I wonder if anyone else on the forum might experience hypervigilance, and possibly have some words of wisdom, or, suggestions as to how to eradicate it.
I would suggest a Mantra. Repeating a phrase or sentence you find meaningful over and over internally, slowly, and mindfully. Having that go through your mind in situations where you feel like this.

Last edited:
I tend to think that way as well. And yes, it's exhausting at times.

My main mechanism to keep it in check is to occasionally remind myself of the context of situations, and whether it's worth it to ruminate over for any length of time.

There is great meaning in the phrase, "Don't sweat the small stuff". Yet in my life it seems there's always something "big" worth stewing over. :oops:

It's a struggle. Guilty as charged. Where often my best way of dealing with things is to compartmentalize my life to increments of 24 hours and not any further. Quite literally taking "one day at a time".

Last edited:
Well no one's mentioned Mindfulness yet, so that and or self hypnosis recordings are things I have found calming and pleasant. Eventually these 2 practices have helped me and I find both comforting and pleasant. Try really simple mindfulness practice outdoors, noticing nature.

And listening to calming self hypnosis recordings with earphones comfortably at home. There's room to shape these practices to your own personal needs, just what feels right for you.

Browse some mindfulness books in a library or bookshop or on amazon to get a feel of what suits you. Listen to some self hypnosis recordings you can Google, I used to buy CDs by Glenn Harold I liked his voice, but that's part of what to find out, what is soothing for you?

I am also hypervigilant. It's a two-edged sword. It has both saved my life and ruined it in ways. I don't feel that it should be eradicated as it can be a great self-defense mechanism. The best thing to do is to learn to control it as best as possible. I do this through exposure "therapy" (I don't go to therapy), but I force myself to go into uncomfortable situations and while in those situations I focus on relaxing as much as possible or focusing on good aspects of the situation. For example: I'm a teacher, people make me very nervous, especially the new students I get. I focus my hypervigilance on getting to know the new students and learning what makes them tick. After a few classes, I am no longer so uptight and worried about them and in many cases enjoy their company. I've met a quite a few students that are not only students but also teachers and friends. You always have to remember that there are other people who are similar. Find relatable things and try not to look for the things you can't relate to and so on.

Another good thing to do is to train in some form of martial art, learn to protect yourself if necessary. If you do this you'll feel more confident and less worried about people doing you physical harm. It's the mental harm that some always seem to be capable of inflicting.

In this day and age it's not very hard to be on edge and to let your fears overcome you.

I hope this helps and I truly feel for you.

Last edited:
I agree with tom about the martial arts but would expand that discipline to include many of the less violent styles. Exercise of any type is most helpful. A bicycle is a great blessing in an urban area, the speed of it is " just right".
Hobbies also can provide a distraction, i enjoy making... things. Also writing. For those wounds which lie too deep, writing fiction surrounding a character, can ease the issue ....

I can't thank you all, enough, for taking the time to share your helpful words of support and suggestions, and sharing your experiences with me. I wish to respond to each one of your posts, yet, only had time to briefly thank you, as I am working, presently, but, hope to return, later, or, tomorrow. Thank you so much, once again. :tulip:

I agree with tom about the martial arts but would expand that discipline to include many of the less violent styles. Exercise of any type is most helpful. A bicycle is a great blessing in an urban area, the speed of it is " just right".
Hobbies also can provide a distraction, i enjoy making... things. Also writing. For those wounds which lie too deep, writing fiction surrounding a character, can ease the issue ....

Very good point. I'm a big fan of Tai Chi as well. It can bring you peace in both the body and mind. Yoga is good as well, though I don't know if it's considered a martial art.

Often when I drop my son off at the bus I see people practicing Tai Chi and just watching it brings me a sense of peace.

My main mechanism to keep it in check is to occasionally remind myself of the context of situations, and whether it's worth it to ruminate over for any length of time.

There is great meaning in the phrase, "Don't sweat the small stuff". Yet in my life it seems there's always something "big" worth stewing over. :oops:

It's a struggle. Guilty as charged. Where often my best way of dealing with things is to compartmentalize my life to increments of 24 hours and not any further. Quite literally taking "one day at a time".

I can relate with a lot of what you said - especially with always having something "big" to ruminate over. I describe it as there always seems to be something in the back of my mind that I am not totally aware of but know it is there. Almost in the subconscious. Sometimes a single issue can stay there for years that I continue to go back to and debate. Often times it is a big life decision that I can't solve or decide what to do.

But compartmentalizing is great advice although often time difficult for me to do in practice. I try to also take one day at a time, but that can also be difficult. If I look too far ahead, I can get overwhelmed because of having too many options to consider.

You could pretend to be someone else. Pick someone you know who is calm and collected and imagine being them.

Hi Loren.

No words of wisdom or suggestions, sadly, because I am "accused" of being inaccurate yet, as far as I am concerned, I fully believe I am accurate, so I have to control myself to not state that.

I also suffer social anxiety, but on the extreme level. I can just about walk to our bins and the post box but both have to be done before 8 am, so that I can feel safe from meeting anyone.

I can walk around a supermarket on my own, but cannot go into the shop on my own and the cash area either.
I empathize with you, as I began to experience the same difficulties, as the result of social anxiety, however, I am doing better, now, after working with a trauma therapist. I had always had social anxiety, but, it hadn't hindered my life so drastically, as it had, after a particular experience I had. I am grateful I don't have quite the level of fear I once had, and understand how hard it can be to have to face people, with so much looming uncertainty. I hope that, perhaps, your anxiety will diminish, eventually.

Last edited:
I would suggest a Mantra. Repeating a phrase or sentence you find meaningful over and over internally, slowly, and mindfully. Having that go through your mind in situations where you feel like this.
Thank you very much for your helpful suggestion. I actually, began reciting a mantra, after reading your post, earlier, today, and will continue.

edit: I am wondering if, perhaps, you have read any of Thich Nhat Hanh's books.

Many thanks, again.

Last edited:

Thank you, Judge. It can, indeed, be exhausting. I'm sorry that you've had to contend with similar situations, and truly appreciate you sharing what has been of help to you.

Have been on my own really since I was very young. Even as a child I was hypervigilant. Continually looking for threats in order to protect myself, the fact that I had to do that says something about my early years and the community I grew up in.

Hear and see extremely well, am able to hear people talking outside at this very moment, across the street. It makes me somewhat anxious and it subverts my concentration.

The thing is though, as much as it can be taxing to live with it's protected me my entire life. It's added to my life and to others in many ways, I saved a small child once who hit her head on a rock and then fell into the water unconscious. No one noticed but me. I prevented a dog from being hit by a car, and another from being attacked by a wolf. I stopped someone from stepping in front of a bus. Think my hypervigilance has been both helpful and an anxiety provoking aspect of my life.

It's not easy to live with, and I wish we could turn it on and off like a radio. At times I've been able to step back from a situation and consider it objectively, but that's usually after the situation is over. I see no real solutions to this, and if you discover any please let me know.
Thank you, Mia.

I agree that there are positive aspects of being hyper-aware, and, have had similar experiences to yours.

But, I have begun to think the same - that, perhaps, there isn't a way to stop it. I am, generally, a hopeful, positive person, however, this has proven to be something I have, virtually, no control over, as it has been a part of me, for several years, at this juncture. I am grateful for all of the suggestions throughout this thread, and, hopeful that some, or, perhaps, all will prove to be of help, not only to me, but, to you and others, as well.

I'd recommend reading Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving.

I'm reading it at the moment and it does specifically mention about hypervigilance being one of numerous manifestations of the inner-critic. It has numerous exercises and tools to help reel in the inner and outer critics, which; through practice should help reduce such behaviours, along with anxieties and depression.

Ed

Well no one's mentioned Mindfulness yet, so that and or self hypnosis recordings are things I have found calming and pleasant. Eventually these 2 practices have helped me and I find both comforting and pleasant. Try really simple mindfulness practice outdoors, noticing nature.

And listening to calming self hypnosis recordings with earphones comfortably at home. There's room to shape these practices to your own personal needs, just what feels right for you.

Browse some mindfulness books in a library or bookshop or on amazon to get a feel of what suits you. Listen to some self hypnosis recordings you can Google, I used to buy CDs by Glenn Harold I liked his voice, but that's part of what to find out, what is soothing for you?
Thank you for sharing all of this with me. I appreciate it more than you can know. I practice mindfulness, but, I think I have done so, for most of my life, yet, had not been aware that there was a term for it. Thank you, Thinx.

I had intended to respond to all, but, will return, tomorrow, as I am off to sleep. I just thought I'd mention it, as I value all of your input.

I'm not sure hyper vigilance is ever eradicated. Doesn't necessarily follow that it can't be accepted and managed.

Whatever perception you approach a situation with, the opposite could also be true.

When next in a situation anxiety & hyper vigilance are triggered,
listen to what you are telling yourself in those moments.
Then question what you are telling yourself.
Offer yourself alternative explanation/reasoning. (remembering the opposite of what you're telling yourself in those moments could also be true)

Being afraid is okay.
Fear itself ISN'T a 'disorder'.
it's perfectly normal and a handy survival mechanism.

I guess it comes down to what we're telling ourselves once it's triggered.

New Threads

Top Bottom