• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hyperacusis- I think its driving me a little crazy

Chance

"all who wander are not lost" - Tolkien
V.I.P Member
ASD is to me a mass of stuff not even experts can agree on...
I sometimes think they have made the "spectrum" so wide that no one can really make heads or tales of much of it.

Its obvious the standards of diagnosis are a nightmare and a lot of it seems to be more about a money train than to help those in serious need.

As for my ASD - I'm good. I function okay on my own, even excel in a few areas, and I don't need or want outside help. My hearing has always been my "Achilles heel" so to speak and at times it seems worse and it actually scares me.

Its not that I cant hear... I actually wish I was deaf sometimes...

Not many people even understand it, or me for having it. People simply cant comprehend that it can hurt to hear...

I found this video and its really close to what is like. So, if a person says it hurts to hear... This might help explain some of what they cant really explain.

Yes I get that,I flinch at sounds ,have the tv on mute ,but ptsd and stress can do it,probably not your whole life if you're neurotypical

Yes I get that,I flinch at sounds ,have the tv on mute ,but ptsd and stress can do it,probably not your whole life if you're neurotypical

I use to pull my ears and cry when I was little and no one understood why...

ASD is to me a mass of stuff not even experts can agree on...
I sometimes think they have made the "spectrum" so wide that no one can really make heads or tales of much of it.

Its obvious the standards of diagnosis are a nightmare and a lot of it seems to be more about a money train than to help those in serious need.

As for my ASD - I'm good. I function okay on my own, even excel in a few areas, and I don't need or want outside help. My hearing has always been my "Achilles heel" so to speak and at times it seems worse and it actually scares me.

Its not that I cant hear... I actually wish I was deaf sometimes...

Not many people even understand it, or me for having it. People simply cant comprehend that it can hurt to hear...

I found this video and its really close to what is like. So, if a person says it hurts to hear... This might help explain some of what they cant really explain.

Don't ever want to be deaf ,my right ear is blocked and it's terrifying not knowing what people are saying,what's happening around you,I feel sorry for deaf people but maybe they're calm because it has become normal.

I think this is my biggest problem right now... I cant get away from all the noises... My head phones won't drown it out, my own heart beat is actually pissing me off. I just get tired of it. The meds just knock me out and thats just awful. I just won't take them. Instead I will take a Benadryl... Same effect, lots less side effects.

I changed insurance and we are checking to see if I can get some help. I had a thing going with noise cancelling hearing aids but this was super expensive,far away, and no guarantee it would even help. Now there is more help out there...its just affording it. Its like buying a house... not cheap.

Don't ever want to be deaf ,my right ear is blocked and it's terrifying not knowing what people are saying,what's happening around you,I feel sorry for deaf people but maybe they're calm because it has become normal.

I can feel noise as much as I hear it... Some noises don't bug me too bad especially low rumbles... High pitched, or screeching sounds... like a sweet baby crying - drives me nuts and I try very hard to not show it.

I can feel noise as much as I hear it... Some noises don't bug me too bad especially low rumbles... High pitched, or screeching sounds... like a sweet baby crying - drives me nuts and I try very hard to not show it.
Yes but going from hearing to not hearing it's a big change and you wouldn't like it I can tell you

Yes but going from hearing to not hearing it's a big change and you wouldn't like it I can tell you

I know... I'm just being a jerk right now... I have basically been one all day and I don't want to be...

Manipulated is prolly an understatement... I fear my own stupid shadow half the time...
Its not stuff I even want to dig up, it does no good... its just stuff that needs to stay where it is.

Whats crazy is sometimes when you are trying your hardest to overcome something... I swear it will throw you to the ground, kick you, just to remind you of who you are... Its not easy sometimes.

Manipulated is prolly an understatement... I fear my own stupid shadow half the time...
Its not stuff I even want to dig up, it does no good... its just stuff that needs to stay where it is.

Whats crazy is sometimes when you are trying your hardest to overcome something... I swear it will throw you to the ground, kick you, just to remind you of who you are... Its not easy sometimes.
No just you perceiving anxiety, The human mind doesn't changes as quickly as that , Just keep doing it bit by bit minute by minute or hour by hour day by day .
If it's a panic attack find somewhere safe and just go with it don't try and control it

May I ask what type of reaction do you have when you stop your antidepressant for instance I had terrible anxiety attacks when I stopped mine after a couple of days do you get that or do you feel calm

samee thing here, although i don't really understand it, i generally don't have issues with noise that i've created myself as long as the volume is not too high - radio, tv, video games, podcasts, etc

i understand the concept of feeling noise as you do, sometimes it feels like listening to nice new music kind of 'excites' my ear drums, a baby - child or high pitched voice feels unpleasant/sharp

noise that comes in externally winds me up very quickly, i think mainly because i have no control, i can't turn it off. if someone starts talking under my window, i can't really get angry at them, although on the inside i'm losing it, i start mumbling and sometimes i do shout out of my window

i also mainly can't stand 'people' noise, being stuck in a space with a loud group of people or even a space with just one person speaking loudly on the phone

so while i don't think mine is as bad as yours, i think i understand

my solution, living with in ear headphones, wired inside, wireless outside - some of the in ear bluetooth headphones block out a lot of noise without having to crank the volume to uncomfortable level

I stuffed cotton in my ears during my early teens and hoped no one would see it with long hair over my ears.

The noise problem has been bothering me a lot lately again
and I think it is anxiety driven.
I have tinnitus. The high pitched ringing that won't stop.
It gets better when I can be alone and try to relax in quite.
I'm also hearing my heartbeat in my ears which feels awful.
It's almost like a pain that I can't explain in my eardrums.
But it is not a physical problem. ENT can't find any reason except anxiety and stress.
The more external noise I have to hear increases the ringing too.

I stuffed cotton in my ears during my early teens and hoped no one would see it with long hair over my ears.

The noise problem has been bothering me a lot lately again
and I think it is anxiety driven.
I have tinnitus. The high pitched ringing that won't stop.
It gets better when I can be alone and try to relax in quite.
I'm also hearing my heartbeat in my ears which feels awful.
It's almost like a pain that I can't explain in my eardrums.
But it is not a physical problem. ENT can't find any reason except anxiety and stress.
The more external noise I have to hear increases the ringing too.
have you had your magnesium levels checked lack of magnesium causes tinnitus
Have you had your vitamin b levels checked that would help

May I ask what type of reaction do you have when you stop your antidepressant for instance I had terrible anxiety attacks when I stopped mine after a couple of days do you get that or do you feel calm

Most of the time it triggers lots of anxiety because I go from zombie back to the living... sometimes I think I need to just get over myself and it would be okay,,, but I think and worry so much about every little thing... it’s stupid and I know it but can’t stop it until I can find something to derail it with.

Fridge knows how to make me do that. I don’t know how he knows but it works... like last evening he sent me off accidentally on this song search and for a while everything calmed down my brain got focused on something trivial but also useful : )

Most of the time it triggers lots of anxiety because I go from zombie back to the living... sometimes I think I need to just get over myself and it would be okay,,, but I think and worry so much about every little thing... it’s stupid and I know it but can’t stop it until I can find something to derail it with.

Fridge knows how to make me do that. I don’t know how he knows but it works... like last evening he sent me off accidentally on this song search and for a while everything calmed down my brain got focused on something trivial but also useful : )
You've got to be careful about coming off antidepressants especially the one you're taking as I think it's addictive ,so if you come off them quickly you're going to feel a sudden rush of blood pressure that's why you get anxiety

High pitched, or screeching sounds... like a sweet baby crying - drives me nuts and I try very hard to not show it.

I'm exactly the same with these sorts of noises. Also very large lorries passing on the road induces anxiety and I usually cover my ears. Any sirens from emergency services makes me cover my ears if they're close to me as it actually hurts my ears. I also dislike fireworks as they make me jump.

New Threads

Top Bottom