• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How Will You Spend Thanksgiving Day and Why?

We usually have a big gathering with family friends (something that has been done since my father was a small child), with several generations involved. The men all go out hunting and the women hang out inside or, in the case of my sister and her husband and I, we would go pet the horses. Older women cook and share recipes with each other. The end result is a huge dinner with about twenty people and several desert. Usually I don't like gendered traditions, but here I think older women get to pass on wisdom to younger women and the same with men.

This year we won't be able to go, because we moved to Missouri. But they'll be on my mind while we find something else to do. It's not so bad, regardless. We'll be able to go next year. :)

I'm going to my cousin's house for dinner. I will see my other cousins, their children, and aunts and uncles. I like going there but I don't like talking to people for such a long period of time, if that makes any sense.

I will be flying home on Thanksgiving morning and having dinner with my parents and grandma Thanksgiving night. Friday afternoon/evening and Saturday at lunch will be the challenging times, though, as I will have to deal with a lot more sensory overload (more extended family time...yay?). Then I will be flying back to school on Sunday.

Out of the entire Thanksgiving weekend, I dread Saturday's lunch the most because I will be sitting in a corner not socializing while 28 others have meaningless conversation, laugh obnoxiously, and ask me lots of questions about grad school and living on my own, none of which I want to answer.

I'm currently living in an apartment with my brother and my folks live far away, but I do think I will take a weekend off to visit them.

I'm spending Thanksgiving with my partner and my dad, and probably will want to do a lot of the cooking. Every year I make (the best) stuffing, sour cream mashed potatoes, and yam-stuffed oranges topped with pecans and maple syrup. My dad bought a big turkey from a farm. Yumm.

Luckily my family is very small, so I do not have to worry about sensory overload on Thanksgiving, just calorie overload :blush:

I'll probably sleep and take in a dinner at one of the two United Methodist churches here in town, since I'm persona non grata with my brothers.

For Thanksgiving, I will probably lock myself in my room to avoid all the people that come over and only come out to get me food and then retreat back into my room for some more quiet. I strongly dislike holidays that involve people. It is just too hard to socialize when everyone is talking at once. I don't mind socializing at times, but not when everyone is talking at once. I lose my thought process when that happens.

I live with a cat...The kids are grown and live else where..
I will spend Thanks Giving like I spend Christmas, New Years, Valentines, St. Patrick's, my birthday, Memorial day, July fourth, Labor day...etc .
Home alone, maybe ride my motorcycle , Christmas I will walk on the beach...maybe ride my bike on the board walk as I will be in Wildwood , NJ then for work....
Enjoy a quiet day being a non consumer, non conformist..

Last edited:
I live with my grandmother, so I have to take her to my uncle's girlfriend's house for the day.
If my dad, step mom, and sisters go to a restaurant I'll go with them so I don't have to eat more Turkey (They go to my step uncle's the day before).
Maybe I can get fajitas again.

Tomorrow my mom's side is having Thanksgiving early due to work schedules, so I'll be having proper Thanksgiving early.

It's at 2pm, so I'll get there at 2pm or later depending the condition of the roads (we are currently experiencing the first major winter storm tonight).
I'll stay for a few hours and my aunt and grandma (other grandma) try to "help" me with life by giving me "advice and direction".
I'll try not to let it get to me.

Then I will leave around 6 or 7pm, thankfully my sister and other have to drive back to Toledo OH (only ~1 hour away).
They always leave early...
My grandmother (other grandma) lives a few miles away and she will probably leave early to get home early (she doesn't like be out past dark).

Monday, I have to take my Grandmother to all the shoes stores at the mall so she can find the right pair of shoes.

Then on Tuesday, I have an appointment to sign my plan with MRS (State agency), then talk about the next steps with job placement and other things.

Wednesday I have to take the same grandmother to her hair appointment.

For Thanksgiving, I will probably lock myself in my room to avoid all the people that come over and only come out to get me food and then retreat back into my room for some more quiet. I strongly dislike holidays that involve people. It is just too hard to socialize when everyone is talking at once. I don't mind socializing at times, but not when everyone is talking at once. I lose my thought process when that happens.
I'm the same I'm never comfortable in social events

Like any other holiday, I basically ignore it other than accepting a day off if offered. I've had exactly one turkey dinner in the last two decades or so.

(I would like to go to the Macy's parade at some point, but wonder if there's an easy way to avoid TV cameras there.)

probably go over to relations 'cross the county to stuff myself on gourmet food the one time a year I have access to such. in case that doesn't happen [they decide to stay up in Bellevue] I have two frozen thanksgiving tv dinners in the freezer waiting to be nuked just so I can say I did the quasi-traditional thanksgiving day thing.

My son hosts a family dinner for Thanksgiving and Christmas. He also invites a few other friends. There will be a dozen or so persons there, half of them adults. I have serious hearing problems anyway and most of these friends speak Spanish most of the time. I speak English. Accents are just more difficult to understand. I have the usual Aspie difficulties in socializing. I am always uncomfortable with the situation; don't really either like or dislike turkey but would avoid if that were an option; dinner is nice; must be politically correct and attend. Then when it is winding down to a long evening of movies of choice on the giant TV screen and conversation I will try to make an "Irish Exit."

Love the term "Irish Exit." Look it up. Properly done it can be a lifesaver! Came across the term recently. Very glad to know that I am not the only one who prefers to do it. Even cold sober.

I have to work, cause over here there is no Thanksgiving. However when I was over in the US with my fiancee's family it.... wasn't really what I expected it to be. Some of his family went to 'the grandparents' for dinner at like 2pm (wth?) which they do every Sunday already. Then after dinner was done everybody left again. It was pretty boring. I'm thinking that once I move to the US I will either host it myself and make a decent party out of it, or just don't bother at all and focus my energy on Christmas. I'm going to seriously miss the Christmas parties I had here with my family. :(

In Spain we don't celebrate Thanksgiving. However, one year I would like to try in the future, if I move to a foreign non-european country.

Personally, I always spend Thanksgiving with my family, and in more recent years, my family has been limited to my mom, given that everyone else lives so far away now (My brother and his wife and kids are spending the holiday with his in-laws). Since my mom isn't real big on cooking, we always go out to eat, and usually go to a friend's house or (in the past) a family member's home, but we often go out to eat in a restaurant as well. Last year, mom and I went to Mount Hermon and had Thanksgiving dinner there, but this year we're going with a friend of my mom's to a restaurant, though I can't remember the name of it. If you can believe it, one year, Mom and I went to Black Angus for Thanksgiving, and nobody ordered turkey! Anyway, no travel plans, just going to try and enjoy the day off.

New Threads

Top Bottom