• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How was your day? /or week?

Tony Ramirez

Single. True friend's.
V.I.P Member
I know this question is asked whenever I go out to my life group or Church events. I have trouble asking this because I am unemployed so I don't do much during the day. I get up at noon, eat lunch and don't do much. The only things I can think of is that I play with my cats. Listen to music. Do things on the computer basically posting on message boards. Sometimes watch TV. If the weather is good I take a walk. That is not much of a conversation so I usually say I walk.

I'm also unemployed... Just finished two days of a resume workshop, trying to line up more workshop, trying to line up something different than just more manual labour work...

Pretty good here. Had a few doctor appointments (two for spouse, one for me), did some exercise, paid some bills, made some tasty food from scratch.

I stopped working last year and rather than get a part time job I decided to do some writing, and am at the planning stage of a writing project. I'm enjoying it, and have found some great resources to help me with it. Most days I spend a few hours on this, writing and planning and researching.

I also like to walk, read, swim, snack, shop, watch films and police series, and like Hermionie Granger my go to place is the library. To be fair, I m older than her, so she's like me... I am usually also planning a trip somewhere, and researching that too.

Unless there's some cultural difference between the US and the UK that I'm not aware of, I think this question is asking you how your day was rather than what you did during the day, so you can just answer with "fine" or "not bad," you don't have to give them details about what you did. And that's pretty much the end of the interaction. If you answer with "not so good" they might ask you why, though.

I also hate that question and the 'how are you'. Always answer with "Fine". "What have you been up to?" "Not much". Same questions, same answers. A few people have gone a little further and would say, "I bet you spent a lot of time with your grandkids." Answer, "Not really."
It's frustrating. I would love to have a little deeper relationship, but how can I expect it to go any deeper if I don't give answers that they can go further with? I complain about the lack of deep conversation going past the 'how are you' and weather talk and I know I don't help things, but what I don't know is how to change that. I know the 'how are you' statement is not a real question, it's a greeting. You return the greeting by saying "Fine. Then it's over. Then I stand there, like "That's it???"
Sometimes the reason I post some things I've done is to, hopefully, give someone something to start a conversation with, but it doesn't. For example, I post a picture of the macramé curtains I made my daughter. Friends may comment on the post, but I always hope when they see me they might say something like, "Oh, those curtains were really cute." Then I'd come back with, "Thanks, I enjoy doing macramé, along with other crafts." And the conversation would continue. But it doesn't happen.
One lady from church has goats and posts a lot bout her goats, and I have actually tried to start a conversation with her by mentioning the goats (it's the only thing I know about her). But it doesn't work. I know I'm just not doing something right. If it were one or two people I'd say it was them but when it's everyone I know it's me.

My week just went sideways... I just heard in an e-mail that a member of our church passed away suddenly overnight, collapsed at home and never woke up, he was fairly young, in his 60's and had not retired yet... I knew him quite well and I'm rather stunned right now

Last edited:
Everyone I socialize with asked that question. I find it difficult to answer when I don't have much too do during the day.

I did however tell this girl I know that I see my therapist which she said I am thinking of finding a therapist which made a brief conversation.

My week has been OK, although work stress is getting to me. I've been told I'm not allowed to do anymore overtime after racking up 24 hours last month.

I explained I was doing it due to my work load to stay as caught up as I can (still not caught up even with the overtime). They advised to not do any for 2 weeks and then review how much overtime can be accommodated.

End of week 1 and I'm drowning at this point. Stressed out, too much to do and making frequent little mistakes because there's so much to do in a short space of time.

My concentration can be fleeting at work. A call or request can come in at any moment and you have to drop everything and then at some point later pick up where you left off. They say check and double check your work. Even when I do this I have mistakes happening.

It's hard to hyper focus on work and a subject matter I have no passion for. Then begins a vicious circle I've encountered in every job

Make a mistake > get told off > fear of making mistakes > more mistakes > more telling off > more fear

It's a tough one because I am a very good and hard worker and I make these stupid mistakes which cause problems. Nothing that can't be undone, but still - they happen and I can't seem to not do them. In trying to focus, I burn out, and then a mistake slips in and then I regain focus.

The processes are repetitive and mind numbing. I really don't flourish in an office environment.

Ed

New Threads

Top Bottom