• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to relax without being bored

Neko

I just spent the last 12 days in the hospital and all of the nurses told me I need to relax more in my life to keep my brain working optimally.

The problem is that relaxing is so boring. How do you handle this? I appreciate any ideas.

Boredom is a big part of life, Neko, it's something you have to get used to. I don't know the Neko backstory but uh the simple pleasures, a bit of sun on a cold day, nice food, clean bedding, yeah? I had a horrible need for constant stimulation as a young person, but it doesn't exist. you could be chasing a phantom.

Only thing I’ve found that works 99% of the time for that (to relax without boredom) is walking or running trails.
I don’t start to relax until an hour or so in.

I just spent the last 12 days in the hospital and all of the nurses told me I need to relax more in my life to keep my brain working optimally.

The problem is that relaxing is so boring. How do you handle this? I appreciate any ideas.

There are are few ways to interpret this. Remaining calm and relaxed is a state of mind,...not necessarily meant to interpreted as physical relaxation,...although it could be. When I am engaging in creative activities in my free time, both mental and physical,...that's relaxing to me.

If you are engaged in too much physical activity,...that can be draining. If you are engaged in too much mentally stressful activities and thoughts,...that can be draining. If whatever you are doing in your life causes you to have stress,...find time to do something that is pretty much opposite of that,...whatever that is for you.

Stress is a silent killer, for sure.

Interpret what was said as it pertains to your life.

Pack up and spend a week camping. The peace, quiet, and clean air should do you some good.

@Neko
"The problem is that relaxing is so boring."

It sounds like whatever it is you categorize as "relaxing"
is "boring" to you. Like you are assuming that what other
people say is relaxing should be pleasurable for you.

Find your own ways to relax.

You can relax just watching something interesitng in tv or computer, or reading something you enjoy?.

Thanks everyone.

I think the root of the problem is that I have it in my mind that relaxation = boring = bad. Ultimately I need to learn that relaxing in moderation is actually good for me.

Right now I struggle so much when my mind isn’t working. Being calm isn’t pleasurable to me, which I guess I need to figure out how to change.

They also put me back on benzodiazepines when I was at the hospital which complicates the matter further by inducing a “fake” tiredness during the day.

I got a lot of insight from these responses and I’ll do my best to work with them.

Thanks again everyone.

Thanks everyone.

I think the root of the problem is that I have it in my mind that relaxation = boring = bad. Ultimately I need to learn that relaxing in moderation is actually good for me.

Right now I struggle so much when my mind isn’t working. Being calm isn’t pleasurable to me, which I guess I need to figure out how to change.

They also put me back on benzodiazepines when I was at the hospital which complicates the matter further by inducing a “fake” tiredness during the day.

I got a lot of insight from these responses and I’ll do my best to work with them.

Thanks again everyone.

Be careful with benzos, i say its not reccommended you are on that stuff for more than 2 weeks, and medics gives them like candy, i actually have a bad history with them, see what happened to Jordan Peterson with benzos.

Be careful with benzos, i say its not reccommended you are on that stuff for more than 2 weeks, and medics gives them like candy, i actually have a bad history with them, see what happened to Jordan Peterson with benzos.

Thanks. As soon as I see my psychiatrist again I’m talking to him about not taking them any longer.

Thanks. As soon as I see my psychiatrist again I’m talking to him about not taking them any longer.

If they gave you clonazepam be careful, that stuff is too strong, and the body can get dependant on it a lot.
(and people should never cold turkey on any drug they have taken for a while).

I find crossword puzzles and jigsaw puzzles to be relaxing and mentally stimulating. The same goes for cooking and building something as in elementary carpentry.

I like to watch YouTube so I have some background noise, usually I put on nature sounds or lofi beats so it's not overwhelming or surprising. Then I like to take a nap or browse social media until the day is over lol. Sometimes I play a game casually!

Being bored is just a psychophysical response to a lack of stimulation. Being relaxed still takes stimulation, just at a low frequency. Activities considered relaxing still involve something happening. Whether it's reading or walking it's still constant stimulation. If you're just sitting in a room waiting for time to pass then there is no stimulation. People on the Spectrum have a lot of issues related to sensory overload, but less talked about are issues when senses cease. Most Autistic people I know, including me, get bored extremely easily without some sort of stimulation.

You define being calm as being uncomfortable. But being calm means being in a comfortable state of mind. So you're not uncomfortable being calm, you're just not calm to begin with. So I think you're confusing boredom and relaxation and putting them in the same category, when in reality they are separate things. If you want to relax without being bored, the goal is generally to find something low-energy to focus on that will last a long period of time. If there is no external stimulation, like in a hospital, I generally try to find internal stimulation. I can't speak for you, but I always try to meditate in these situations, and focus on my mind and shut off the outside world. If I can just think constantly, I have something to do and won't get bored, even if I'm not doing anything physical.

Or at least that's my interpretation.

What does relax mean? Look it up. We aren't ever not doing anything. Changing activities can be relaxing. Taking a vacation means that we go away from our job for a while and do something else then come back ready to apply ourselves anew. It gives our brain a change of scenery instead of grinding on the same path day in and day out.

Think leisure is a waste? That may not bode well for your mental health

TLDR
“ 'If leisure can be framed as having some kind of productive goal, that helps people who think leisure is wasteful get some of the same benefits,' said study co-author Rebecca Reczek, professor of marketing at Ohio State.

For those who believe leisure is wasteful, “it may be helpful to think about the productive ways that individual leisure activities can serve their long-term goals,”....

In other words, connect each leisure activity to something you want to accomplish..."

New Threads

Top Bottom