• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to insert a SIM card on a dumb phone?

Greatshield17

Claritas Prayer Group#9435
The SIM card for my dumb phone arrived, how and where do I insert it? (I’m scared of damaging the card or phone)

17B143AC-A953-46CB-94F9-3E1BC8C4350D.jpeg

Its ex. First prolly should write down the special numbers on the barcode sticker. It's supposed to be kept secret I think, the numbers, but you likely need them to activate the phone.

The little chip thingie pops out of the credit card thingie, sometimes you have to deburr the edges

It goes in this metal part that hinges up, then locks back down. The battery often ships seperate

Yours has a slot for an sd card, that's like for extra memory, not sure if you have to have one to make it work, maybe.

The little plastic chip[sim] has metal on one side, typically. It usually will only fit one way. I own very many sharp things, so I would put it on a cutting mat, and use an exacto to cut the sim out, I think. Don't scratch up the metal strips, it may be perforated, the border of the sim, cant tell

No I don't think so. It looks like that is for the sd card which is for memory, see the little letters by it? I think that it goes in the upper right, notice how the socket has a corner that's chamfered? The card does too. It's so you cant put it in backwards. I think some phones have more than one sim socket, it looks like yours will take two. If you still have the box?
It may say dual sim or sim type "*" and type "**" compliant or something. You might ask @Misery I think he is pretty technical literate person.
It's usually pretty easy to install the SIM card, it's made to only fit one way, in just one place. As long as you DO NOT
1) scratch the metal off, or
2) break it in half trying to get it out of the credit card thing or
3) zap it, like from when you wear dress shoes on a carpet then touch the fridge? (That's called ESD for electrostatic discharge )
Then you cant really hurt it. See it's not energized yet. The battery typically goes in on top, then you put the case back on last

Last edited:
No I don't think so. It looks like that is for the sd card which is for memory, see the little letters by it? I think that it goes in the upper right, notice how the socket has a corner that's chamfered? The card does too. It's so you cant put it in backwards. I think some phones have more than one sim socket, it looks like yours will take two. If you still have the box?
It may say dual sim or sim type "*" and type "**" compliant or something. You might ask @Misery I think he is pretty technical literate person.
It's usually pretty easy to install the SIM card, it's made to only fit one way, in just one place. As long as you DO NOT
1) scratch the metal off, or
2) break it in half trying to get it out of the credit card thing or
3) zap it, like from when you wear dress shoes on a carpet then touch the fridge? (That's called ESD for electrostatic discharge )
Then you cant really hurt it. See it's not energized yet. The battery typically goes in on top, then you put the case back on last

Well, my usual advice for this stuff is "just yell at it until it works" but... well maybe that's Windows, right, this is a phone.

What you posted is generally correct though. But I'll try to add some detail anyway.

That photo, the only conceivable place it would fit is in that weird-looking socket in the bottom right with "3G / GSM" written on it, and that metal strip just to the right of that (looks like it should slide under that part).

And honestly I highly doubt the phone will go bonkers or anything even if it was put in the wrong spot. Unless it was designed by complete idiots. Dont worry too much about that part.

What you need to be careful of is:

1, the card is likely fragile. Is it seriously made of the same thin crap stock that the "credit card" it's stuck to is part of? They really make them like that? Yeah... it's fragile. Well, all cards of this type are at least somewhat fragile but this one looks a bit worse. Try to push it into the slot too hard and it may just snap. Push it the wrong way taking it out of the big card and it may ALSO just snap. Probably dont scratch either, or drop it, or.... anything. That seriously looks like it was made very cheaply. Cheap = easily broken.

2. Even if the CARD doesnt snap, something else could (though the phone will be made of far tougher stuff than the card). When it comes to something like this, if you're trying to insert a thing and you find you're meeting with a lot of resistance, take a step back and reexamine it, because you're probably doing something wrong or missing some aspect. Theoretically things like this should slide/pop in easy enough when done right (unless the people that designed it are morons). So you shouldnt need to push hard at any point.

3. Also yes, as the post above mine said, a zap will fry it. "Ground" yourself before doing anything with it (put your hand on metal that is somehow connected to the ground or connected to an object that has a route to the ground. Usually a doorknob or a metal table is enough. Gets rid of static). And also try not to do things like this in a room with like, super dry air. Static gets extra bad in places like that. My basement is like that, always super dry, and static shocks are very frequent.

Honestly I know some of this sounds like a giant mess but as long as you take it slow and pay attention it really shouldnt be hard.

And after all of that, if you're still concerned or at all confused, I'd highly recommend going onto Youtube and looking for a tutorial video, so you can just outright watch someone doing it. Even if their model of phone is different from yours, the concepts are still the same.

The SIM card for my dumb phone arrived, how and where do I insert it? (I’m scared of damaging the card or phone)

View attachment 67908
Ah, Freedom Mobile - a fellow Canadian, then. If you're in Western Canada, you can go to a London Drugs and get assistance with inserting your SIM card correctly from someone in the mobile phone area. I used to work at London Drugs in the photo/electronic area (which includes mobile phones), and someone in that department will be able to help.

Well, I tried @Skittlebisquit ’s advice of going for the slot in the upper-righthand corner, turns out, that’s slot no. 2, I tried switching to slot no. 1, which included having to insert the chip back into the larger, detachable part of the card (which, judging from a YouTube video I saw, can be done) however I had difficulty doing that and on top of that, I saw that the card had markings on it from being in slot no. 2, so I figured it would be safer to keep it in slot no. 2.

Now I just need to figure out how to activate my card, the problem is, I can’t find the phone number for this phone, and I need it in order to activate my card; I’ll look into this more after dinner.

Ah, Freedom Mobile - a fellow Canadian, then. If you're in Western Canada, you can go to a London Drugs and get assistance with inserting your SIM card correctly from someone in the mobile phone area. I used to work at London Drugs in the photo/electronic area (which includes mobile phones), and someone in that department will be able to help.
Unfortunately, the nearest London Drugs near me is about, 4 hours away.

Unfortunately, the nearest London Drugs near me is about, 4 hours away.

Well I guess that's not an option, then. I wish I could help more, but inserting a SIM card correctly is something I'd have to do in person because it's not something I can describe very well.

Does the user manual say what size SIM card your phone takes? It looks like your SIM card can be used as a standard size, or smaller (either a micro SIM card or nano SIM card). If you can determine the SIM card size, and if you look in the user manual, it should say where the SIM card can be inserted. Perhaps try watching a YouTube video about inserting the card in a phone.

Edit: Maybe this video might be helpful.
Edit #2: I didn't notice you posted you got the card into slot 2, so you can ignore this post.

It may not have a phone number until you activate it. I think that's whY you need the IMEI(it's on that barcode sticker) I think there is a another number on it like digital serial number or something like that.
You should be able to read them both from the pic, without having to open it back up

It may not have a phone number until you activate it. I think that's whY you need the IMEI(it's on that barcode sticker) I think there is a another number on it like digital serial number or something like that.
You should be able to read them both from the pic, without having to open it back up
No, it says I need to input my phone number in order to activate it. I’m not sure what to do.

Maybe you just have to play with it, like it's tucked away in a sub menu? Probably under phone info?

I was just searching around on the Freedom Mobile website, and they have a feature to check whether a Freedom Mobile SIM card is compatible with a phone. I typed in your IMEI 2 number (351970110113353), and it says it's not compatible with your phone.

On the photo above, it looks like slot 1 has its own SIM card.

Based on the photo, both slots look empty. Anyway, both IMEI numbers are incompatible with Freedom Mobile. Unfortunately, it looks like you'll have to either get a different phone that is compatible with the Freedom Mobile SIM card, or find a carrier that is compatible with your current phone.

Based on the photo, both slots look empty. Anyway, both IMEI numbers are incompatible with Freedom Mobile. Unfortunately, it looks like you'll have to either get a different phone that is compatible with the Freedom Mobile SIM card, or find a carrier that is compatible with your current phone.
I meant IMEI - 1, I’m going to check Shaw and see if the numbers are compatible; I need to see what cell compatible cell services are available in my area.

New Threads

Top Bottom