• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to divert an active imagination?

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
Someone in my contacts posted a video, which automatically plays as one scrolls down the page and what I saw, just churned my stomach inside out and now, cannot eat, which I need to do, as I am getting chronic sugar lows, despite not being diabetic.

My husband tried to divert my attention on to other things, because I freaked out basically. He found it funny ( not sure if it is a man thing), but I started to cry because my head was swirling around with the image I just saw.

Without going into too much detail, a video of an oriental woman eating live insects and now, all I can see is that blasted creature going into her mouth, so much so, that the thought of eating is repungent, because I see myself eating this thing!

I could cry with frustration!

How awful! I once had that happen but it wasn't from a picture, but a news story about a snake and a person in another country. Pictures tend to haunt me too; especially disturbing ones. They seem to get burned on the insides of my eyelids and stay there. One experiment I tried, was to make something different happen in the picture. With rich imagination, this is possible! Try to imagine the woman eating popcorn or smelling flowers and every time that awful image comes, change it to the more pleasant one. I hope that helps!

That happens to me sometimes, though less often now than it used to. The only thing that's helped is giving it time and letting it go away on its own.

How awful! I once had that happen but it wasn't from a picture, but a news story about a snake and a person in another country. Pictures tend to haunt me too; especially disturbing ones. They seem to get burned on the insides of my eyelids and stay there. One experiment I tried, was to make something different happen in the picture. With rich imagination, this is possible! Try to imagine the woman eating popcorn or smelling flowers and every time that awful image comes, change it to the more pleasant one. I hope that helps!

Funny you should say that, because I forced my imagination to put small squire pieces of brownies on sticks, instead of those disgusting creatures and can even see those ie the brownies going toward's her mouth, but horribly, switches to a squiggling creature; however saying that, I managed to eat my way through a pizza and that was because it was virtually burnt and for some reason, I could cope.

I think the nasty memory will fade soon enough.

I remember when I saw a close up of bed bugs ( which I honestly thought were not a reality) and I tell you, I could not sleep in the bed for a couple of nights lol

New Threads

Top Bottom