• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How reclusive/sociable are you?

I tend to be a loner, too. Family forces socialization on me which is okay because they are my family, and I'm very selective about friends. I have to go out to dinner with some longtime friends three weeks from now and I already dread it.

I can relate so much to what some people have written in this thread, especially when it comes to the difference between being alone and being lonely. People around me always acted and spoke like being alone was not normal, that it was a something unhealthy. But I could never quite agree with that. I often don't understand when people say they feel lonely, I can't see how being on your own is a problem. Everyone acts as if having human connections is necessary to live a happy live, but I only see it as a necessity to live in society, not something that I internally crave. It feels like I have to maintain a social life because this is what is expected of me, it's the norm. I would spend time with friends at school, but going out with them in my free time felt too bothersome, it was like I'd have no time for me to breathe.

All I need are a few online and text interactions, because I somehow feel like those are easier to 'control'. It's really frustrating for me when I hear people say that online interactions are 'isolating' people, that people don't have 'real' interactions anymore and so on. I personnally see it as a way for people with social difficulties to actually have easier interactions. It can be really accommodating for some people and I don't see anything wrong with that. It also makes it easier to find people with whom I share common interests so that we have clear discussions subjects other than uninteresting small talk. Although I do enjoy a few persons' company, I really don't mind being on my own. I could spend days locked up at home without any social interactions and it would not bother me. I wouldn't get sad nor depressed, I only find it relaxing because it's a time where I just don't have to think about social interactions, I feel like I can actually 'recharge' if that makes any sense. I enjoy my own company, and it gives me time to indulge in activities that I enjoy without the fear of being interrupted nor having to worry about talking and figuring how to expressing my thoughts.

I do enjoy being around people without necessarily talking, I guess I enjoy their presence and observing them rather than my interactions with them. I'd also rather have individual friends rather that a large group of friends, because talking one on one is a lot easier. I can tell when the other is expecting me to talk, like when they ask me questions and so on. If there are more than two persons I can no longer take part in the conversation as I have no idea when to jump in or not. Having fewer friends also allows me to interact with them more often so that they won't feel like I abandonned them or stopped caring, which is simply not true. I'd rather focus on having one deep and meaningful relationship where I can get invested rather than having a bunch of acquaintances that I wouldn't be able to keep track of.

You are I are very much the same then. I also sought interaction and a busy social life because I was made to believe it was "normal." I'm pretty sure this is true for most of us on the spectrum who appear not to be on the spectrum.

That's kind of a "loaded question" to me. Yes, I live as a recluse. Yes, I do so completely alone.

Let's just say that I prefer routinely living alone as opposed to routinely occupying living space with another human being. While on select occasions I can experience loneliness, it never surpasses a relative feeling of contentment in not having to struggle in so many ways with the sharing of my personal space with others.

I've never been diagnosed with depression, but what you've said here describes me perfectly.

I'm very reclusive and fit the profile of loner. I see others mostly as fake and I'm dumbfounded by the small problems that others speak of as major catastrophes. Being around fake people, their petty problems and playing the social game is not my thing. Being alone is relaxing, peaceful and I prefer the company of my dog.

No public transportation/car= Hermit & reclusive (my current situation).
With transportation= Asocial[?] I get out way more, yet it will still be done alone.
Social, Work, or School Scenes= Can't relate to or connect with the people.

Last edited:
I am "Passively Social." I don't seek out new friends, social events, etc. When I am invited to something (e.g. lunch with friends or coworkers), I go along because I know that some social connection is good for me.

On a few rare occasions, I have found myself in a major funk, thought "I need to connect", and then did something to connect (called a friend, brought a treat to work, etc).

Everything I naturally like to do is a solitary activity - read, do math, program, build models.

New Threads

Top Bottom