• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How often do you use profanity IRL?

The worst I would say is "****", which I would normally use out of frustration or surprise. I try not to swear around my family, especially not around my nan, but I do swear a lot whenever I'm ranting to myself about something, which I find therapeutic.

I did once drop the C-bomb in front of my mum... I was 9 at the time and I'd not long come across the word, so didn't know what it meant. A boy who lived on the same street as me had been calling me names, and I told my mum,
"I don't like Jason, he's a stupid c***", and she told me off.
I don't use that word now, in fact I'm not even comfortable with other people using it.

I think I use too much profanity IRL, only in familiar settings. I feel comfortable with them. You won't know who I am, really, until out of the blue when we are really, really close friends (which amount to 0 for now, but 1 or 2 in the past)... You hear all the expletives from me.

But here, I am more subdued, and for nice people I don't really say bad things (including Mom, Dad and hi-bye scholmates)

I feel restrained not saying vulgar, but well, life wants me to control my thoughts, let alone my speech? But well, let it be for now.

In real life I swear about as often as the characters in Napoleon Dynamite. Which is to say, pretty much never. When I do attempt to use profanity, people tell me I shouldn't because it's "out of character" for me. I swear a little more often in my writing and Internet posts, however.

How often do you use profanity in your real-world interactions with people? In my case, not that often. I'm usually pretty careful about keeping my speech pretty G-rated around people until I know for sure that they wouldn't have a problem with me using a little bit of profanity (probably a pretty good policy). That's probably something that got drilled into me at a certain point; I can vaguely remember a few times when I was a kid that I got in trouble for using new words that I picked up without really knowing what they meant (at that age, I think I found the idea of certain words being "bad" or "off-limits" for some reason to be a little strange).

Also, I somehow just never got entirely comfortable with casually using profanity. I can use it in writing with no problem, but actually using it in my speech is another matter. "****" is usually about the strongest cuss word I use in everyday situations; I might drop the occasional "f-bomb" but usually not unless I'm fairly angry about something (or at least really surprised).

I think the reason I thought about this subject in the first place is because I was thinking about a few times that I've used profanity when people seemed a little shocked by that; not so much by the profanity but because I was using it. I wonder if maybe people were a little surprised by that because I seemed a little too "prim and proper" for that or something or because it sounded slightly unnatural coming out of me. I can't help but wonder if there's something a little bit AS-related going on there (I thought this topic would be kind of appropriate to bring up since it falls under the general heading of "social skills").

The one situation where I'm entirely at ease letting loose with a little bit of profanity is when I accidentally hurt myself (often by stubbing my toe). I think there's actually some scientific evidence that doing that provides a little bit of pain relief.

Profanity Bleeps Physical Pain: Scientific American Podcast

When around other people I avoid using even mild profanity as I find it easier to follow a rule of not using it at all than having different rules for different situations.

I'm I'm by myself and stub my toe, a mild swear word might slip out but even with that I'm trying to condition mself to use a non-swear word instead.

I'd prefer not to hear alot of profanity but don't feel offended by other people doing so.

I feel quite on edge hearing people who are being physically threatening, verbally aggressive and shouting, using profanity.

If I hear someone with an irish accent swearing, it doesn't seem as profane, somehow, as a more gutteral accent.

I don't generally use it a lot, but if I'm frustrated I let a few fly. It helps me manage my frustration, and so serves a function and is justified. I rarely use it in day to day interactions, unless I think it's called for and is therefore appropiate: in that case, I don't hesitate to use it. There's a right time and place for it.

I may swear a bit when I'm mad, or when I think it might have a good comedic effect. (My mother and husband both got a kick out of it when I was changing a dirty diaper and yelled out "you can't get this $H!& off!") And then sometimes it's just a better situational fit than the alternatives. But for the most part, I prefer more creative things. I've recently discovered that "hoochie mama" is in my vocabulary when I step outside into below-freezing temperatures.

I curse in my head. Sometimes, I curse aloud, but a lot of times, it feels weird when I do so, like out of character even though I curse a lot in my head. I do curse aloud when I'm frustrated. For instance, on the train, it was my stop, but instead of letting me get off, a bunch of people (and I mean a lot!) came onto the train, to the point where I wasn't going to be able to get out, and I would have to wait until the next stop then catch a train in the opposite direction. I ended up saying very loudly, "Son of a c**t, man!" Hahaha, people then let me off the train. So, it worked.

Have you ever heard the phrase "swear like a longshoreman?"

Well I come from a long line of longshoremen.

When I was 21 and had little self-control over my language,I had to do a presentation outlining a cleaning and reassembly of a complicated probe for a quadrupole mass spectrometer at our facility in front of an international based audience of about 30 people who all had purchased one of our machines.
During a question and answer session,confusion on my part let an F bomb slip during one of my answers. It was well taken by the group and even made them laugh about it. I love the use of creative combinations of vulgar language when talking to my friends and have been known to make new words up based on the usual profanity choices.
DILLIGAF? :p

Maybe everybody but me knew what that was.
http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meaning-definition-of/dilligaf

I don't think of mere vulgarity as 'swearing' or 'cursing.'
Vulgarity is mostly biological terms and insults regarding ancestry.
Swearing involves oath taking.
Cursing is negative wishes.
Generally these involve deities.
I don't bother doing that.

But I have lived in the country a long time now.
Unless the situation requires delicacy (maybe children are around)
I say ****, not poop.

And if I am angry/feeling threatened, I use a few repetitious
biological impossibilities. I am not proud or ashamed. It seems not
different from other animals: a dog barking at what it doesn't understand;
a cat hissing and acting scary when it's afraid.

Maybe everybody but me knew what that was.
http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meaning-definition-of/dilligaf

I don't think of mere vulgarity as 'swearing' or 'cursing.'
Vulgarity is mostly biological terms and insults regarding ancestry.
Swearing involves oath taking.
Cursing is negative wishes.
Generally these involve deities.
I don't bother doing that.

But I have lived in the country a long time now.
Unless the situation requires delicacy (maybe children are around)
I say ****, not poop.

And if I am angry/feeling threatened, I use a few repetitious
biological impossibilities. I am not proud or ashamed. It seems not
different from other animals: a dog barking at what it doesn't understand;
a cat hissing and acting scary when it's afraid.
DILLIGAF is an often used motorcycle club patch ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DILLIGAF-Bi...ers-/350997703798?hash=item51b917ec76&vxp=mtr

I allow myself to say nasty words when I am alone and can't be heard. I was a teacher and a nurse so I am quite proper when in public.

Sometimes a well placed epithet lessens the anxiety of a situation, my Father swore often and colorfully. I've carried on the tradition of doing so on occasion.

I use it, not overly much but, I have no problem saying things like "Well damn." or "**** this ****." when it fits the situation or conversation.

I don't like to, especially in front of the kids, but when I'm really cross...If they've done something bad or nasty I'll call it crap, if they're lying I'll call it bollocks but I wouldn't use an S, F or C. I'm more sweary when alone in the car as I can't be heard. If people make me cross I consider them to be Arsehats, but would obviously never say it to them!

I frequently speak in a stereotypical mobster voice, and when this happens my language is as crude as it is in the mob films.

When I'm acting normally I don't swear hardly ever, except when I get angry, and then it's every other word.

I don't know - I guess I do swear a lot. My dad swore a lot and my coworkers and friends in the past have all sworn a lot too, so I just picked it up.

New Threads

Top Bottom