• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How much assistive technology do you use?

WolfSpirit

Not a dictionary. Or a search engine
So, given the questions I received on what AAC is, (assistive tech for communication) recently, it has lead me to wonder how prevalent the use of assistive technology is among the people on this site. And not just the hig tech stuff, but anything you use that helps you accomplish a task that the people around you don't seem to need.

For me, I use a variety of things, from my text to speech apps (a high tech form of AAC), to straws to drink from (helps with motor control, and not choking as often), to textured drinking glasses (helps me not drop them) - plastic, not glass, as they're not as heavy, and less breakable that way). To sunglasses and earplugs to help with sensory issues when I'm in flourescent lighting, or loud places. For that matter, I suppose my ipod and headphones qualify along those lines too. And also for emotional regulation. Email is another form of assistive tech, I suppose, given thst it allows me to 'talk to medical professionals I otherwise wouldn't be able to. (E.g. setting up my own appts, rather than having someone telephone them for me.) Oh, and there is the closed captioning on my tv. Helps greatly in comprehending dialogue etc. Lower wattage light bulbs is another example.

There is probably other stuff, but as it has all evolved over many years now, and is so common in my life I probably can't think of it all. I'm surprised I remembered this many.

Oh, and I forgot to include my ever present water bottle, to keep me from getting dehydrated. Essential in summer due to heat intolerance. I also keep one by my bed lately, so that if I'm too tired when reading in bed to roll over and sit up, I can still drink.

Last edited:
I quite like using closed captioning when it's available. I also like having my headphones.

Oh, and I forgot to add: stim toys and other sensory integration tools/toys count too! (E.g weighted blanket etc. Compression vests, etc.)

Closed captioning

Oral stim toys so I don't ruin things by chewing on them lol

I also use textured/plastic things to drink out of because I am really good at breaking glasses

Messaging apps so I can talk to my friends properly and carry out proper conversations (I can't really stay on topic or follow conversation that well verbally)

Lamps instead of overhead lighting since it's somewhat less light

Heavier/multiple blankets because I don't have an actual weighted blanket and they help me sleep

Closed captioning

Oral stim toys so I don't ruin things by chewing on them lol

I also use textured/plastic things to drink out of because I am really good at breaking glasses

Messaging apps so I can talk to my friends properly and carry out proper conversations (I can't really stay on topic or follow conversation that well verbally)

Lamps instead of overhead lighting since it's somewhat less light

Heavier/multiple blankets because I don't have an actual weighted blanket and they help me sleep

Yes! Lamps are a good thing! Much less draining than overhead lights!

Not really related to autism specifically, but I use a vertical mouse instead of a normal one so that my arm doesnt fall off.

AKA I have nerve/tendon issues that can flare up and cause a lot of pain (like, "oh god I cant freaking move" levels of pain). Vertical mice are designed to work with things such as RMI issues (not to mention they're good at PREVENTING such issues in the first place).

What else... uhhh... giant PC monitor because I'm freaking nearsighted.

Thermos full of water because I dry out really easily. Multiple humidifiers for the same reason.

Space heater because I cant freaking stand the cold one bit. Incidentally, this dries me out faster, what a vicious cycle.

I have a squashed disaster of a pillow that I have to hold onto when I sleep, or I wont fall asleep.

Caffeine prevents me from going insane. Eh? That doesnt count? Oh... moving on, then.

Magical talking map (phone) for in case I get lost or need help when out driving. A decent idea, as I have a tendency to go "ooh, what's down THAT road?" like 8 times in a row before realizing that I've just driven to freaking Narnia.

Virtual reality for... uh... I guess it's a form of stimming? The ability to put that thing on and be in space or something instead of this stupid house is a nice bit of sensory escape and relaxation. Unless I use it to play a horror game or something, that's a bit less relaxing. Also useful for exercise, provided I dont run into a table.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

I use A. Lot. Of. It.

1. Telephones. Cell phones feel weird against my ear--they get hot, like it's cooking--so I use a bakelite rotary phone which I wired up to the back of my internet modem. I used to use it on a copper phone line but now that I moved, I am using it with VoIP lines and will be converting the old phone to work with touchtone dialing. (There's a module that I will be putting inside it which should boost its functionality.) So my rotary phone is sensory-friendly. And hey, it's basically a fidget spinner you can talk on.

2. Clothing. My wardrobe is mostly wool--heavy, itchy but really warm, like a weighted blanket or something.

3. Blue light app on my laptop.

4. I also wear blue-light glasses every waking hour.

5. Vintage-style lightbulbs on low wattage that don't hurt my eyes.

6. Typewriters. I collect classic and antique typewriters and they are my No. 1 means to communicate (the picture in my avatar is actually part of one of my typewriters.) There's no screen on them & they are so VERY MUCH EASIER to use than talking or even writing on the computer.

7. I use old windup gramophones & Edison cylinder phonographs as they don't have the bass level high enough to be physically painful, and also can't reach treble levels that are going to cause a problem. Some of them sound very nice indeed. Just upgraded to a 1929 electronic record player/radio but it's not fully restored yet--Radio sounds nice. Maybe it will be nice to have a record player I don't have to start with a hand-crank.

8. Fountain pens are easier to write with but I think NT's know that too.

9. I have a very large and accurate clock nailed to a prominent wall of my room.

10. I wear hats a lot-- I have a green woolen newsboy cap, a brown Stetson fedora (not the neckbeard hat but the older 1920s kind with the large brim) and in summertime I wear a straw boater (the traditional English one that feels like it's made of plywood.) They're a must -- Light causes me problems but light can't get through hats.

I use earplugs for sleeping and going to the spermarket or outside in noisy places such as the subway. I also use earphones and music. To sleep, I have backout curtains, earplugs, melatonin, valerian root. use sunglasses on bright, sunny days (but so do NTs), but also for bright artificial lighting, particularly white LED lighting, to which I have a low tolerance. I use a rocking chair to work - the movement of rocking helps me keep calm and concentrate. I also adapt my environment to my needs - a special wooden divider next to the TV to help block the noise, I have the brightness turned down really low on my computer, laptop and phone. I often wear underwear inside out or with the labels cut out, and choose unscented or lightly scented detergents.

I wouldn’t be without my cute little reminder app my diary app my notebook app excuse me while I look at my phone to see all the apps that I wouldn’t be without because if I don’t mention them I feel sorry for them because I’ve left them out.My password manager app my clock app Abson supermarkets my security app and sorry to all your apps that I don’t always use but I appreciate you all.

I quite like using closed captioning when it's available. I also like having my headphones.

I love closed captioning and always use it when I can. I can't wear headphones, though, because my head is extremely sensitive to pressure.

I use Hue lightbulbs because I can have control over the exact amount and shade of lighting.

I like earplugs -- I'd live in them if I could. I wish my ears had an on/off switch. I think my work-from-home technology might count as "assistive" as well. Up to this point, I've been compelled to force myself to mask nonstop while at work and work according to how the rest of the world prefers to do things, and suddenly now I'm able to focus and structure my communications in a way that works for me as someone who doesn't socialize like that. It's wonderful.

I'm curious about noise-canceling headphones, but they all seem to be for playing music. All I want is lightweight headphones that would cancel external noise and give me SILENCE.

If things that keep my hands moving count, then I have tons -- crochet, knitting, and three musical instruments (piano, flute, harp). If I couldn't move my hands, I'd go out of my mind.

Hmm, I use more than I thought.

I use text-to-speech or just regular texting on my phone when I am incapable of speech.

I use closed captions when they’re available due to auditory processing issues.

Noise-cancelling headphones particularly when neighbors are doing yardwork or anything involving machinery (but not very often because I actually get bad anxiety when I can’t monitor my environment using my ears, like my brain is set up for hearing to be my primary sense instead of sight, for some reason covering my ears with my hands is okay but earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones tend to make me freak out and take them off pretty quickly).

I play games on my phone as a distraction to help avoid shutdowns when I’m in a restaurant or waiting in a public area.

Also plastic cups or small glass cups because I’m prone to dropping them if they’re too heavy and use straws to drink for sensory reasons.

ASMR videos on Youtube to help me relax.

I’m also heavily reliant on alarms I set on my phone to remind me to do things like walk the dog, have lunch, take my meds, etc.

I sleep with a weighted blanket, also a stuffed tiger shark and Komodo dragon because I feel better having something to hold, occasionally take the shark on particularly stressful outings as a comfort object.

Various little stim toys and small things I find sensorily pleasing.

Always wear a watch (except that right now I got a new one that gives my wrist a rash when I wear it, so it lives in my pocket until I can get something my skin will tolerate) because I get really antsy if I don’t know exactly what time it is.

I also have a service dog, but he’s a living thing, not technology.

Oddly, despite all my other sensory issues, I am not particularly sensitive to light, so I don’t use anything for that.

Probably other things, too, that I’m not thinking of right now or just don’t think of as counting (like most of the stuff I just mentioned, that I didn’t realize counted until reading this thread).

I love closed captioning and always use it when I can. I can't wear headphones, though, because my head is extremely sensitive to pressure.

I use Hue lightbulbs because I can have control over the exact amount and shade of lighting.

I cannot use earbuds. They've always hurt my ears. It makes it kinda hard to buy new earphones sometimes without spending a lot if money. I've had to experiment with different options. And now everybody wants you to buy wireless ones!! My music is too important to me to trust to battery operated headphones, never mind possibly unreliable bluetoith connections!! Give me your old fashioned wired headphones any day! (I've learned a remote on them could be useful, but also problematic, given apple's nonsense about using off brand headphones with their products!

Okay, rant mode: off. :p

Oh, forgot to ask, what are hue lightbulbs? They sound potentially beneficial (to me).

I like earplugs -- I'd live in them if I could. I wish my ears had an on/off switch. I think my work-from-home technology might count as "assistive" as well. Up to this point, I've been compelled to force myself to mask nonstop while at work and work according to how the rest of the world prefers to do things, and suddenly now I'm able to focus and structure my communications in a way that works for me as someone who doesn't socialize like that. It's wonderful.

I'm curious about noise-canceling headphones, but they all seem to be for playing music. All I want is lightweight headphones that would cancel external noise and give me SILENCE.

If things that keep my hands moving count, then I have tons -- crochet, knitting, and three musical instruments (piano, flute, harp). If I couldn't move my hands, I'd go out of my mind.

My brain has an on/off switch for my ears!! It tends to do it at random, inconvenient moments that interfere with my ability to understand speech, and used to cause all sorts of blame and condemnation from mom growing up because she thought it was intentional! I typically didn't realize I'd been in "off" mode until it switched back on! I'm told it has to do with the way my brain processes (or doesn't) words, and my brain being in perpetual "catch up mode".
As for you not having to mask, YAY!!! It is amazing the difference it makes, isn't it?!

I've heard noise cancelling headphone like you desire exist, but now that I think of it, maybe only for children. :(. What I would've given for a sensory deprivation tank growing up!!!

Last edited:
Hmm, I use more than I thought.

I use text-to-speech or just regular texting on my phone when I am incapable of speech.

I use closed captions when they’re available due to auditory processing issues.

Noise-cancelling headphones particularly when neighbors are doing yardwork or anything involving machinery (but not very often because I actually get bad anxiety when I can’t monitor my environment using my ears, like my brain is set up for hearing to be my primary sense instead of sight, for some reason covering my ears with my hands is okay but earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones tend to make me freak out and take them off pretty quickly).

I play games on my phone as a distraction to help avoid shutdowns when I’m in a restaurant or waiting in a public area.

Also plastic cups or small glass cups because I’m prone to dropping them if they’re too heavy and use straws to drink for sensory reasons.

ASMR videos on Youtube to help me relax.

I’m also heavily reliant on alarms I set on my phone to remind me to do things like walk the dog, have lunch, take my meds, etc.

I sleep with a weighted blanket, also a stuffed tiger shark and Komodo dragon because I feel better having something to hold, occasionally take the shark on particularly stressful outings as a comfort object.

Various little stim toys and small things I find sensorily pleasing.

Always wear a watch (except that right now I got a new one that gives my wrist a rash when I wear it, so it lives in my pocket until I can get something my skin will tolerate) because I get really antsy if I don’t know exactly what time it is.

I also have a service dog, but he’s a living thing, not technology.

Oddly, despite all my other sensory issues, I am not particularly sensitive to light, so I don’t use anything for that.

Probably other things, too, that I’m not thinking of right now or just don’t think of as counting (like most of the stuff I just mentioned, that I didn’t realize counted until reading this thread).

I can relate to so much of this!

For many years growing up and into adulthood, hearing seemed to be my primary sense also. eg. I listened for cars more than looked for them. I even had a friend comment on how I seemed to use my ears to process everything. Pretty funny given how bad my auditory processing is! But my music was my lifeline for many years, so... maybe there is a connection.

Okay, now that you're the second other person who has mentioned plastic cups, for th same reason as me, I have to laugh! I didn't realize, or may remember that it was that common! :D.

What is ASMR?

I don't tend to watch videos online since so many are noncaptioned voice overed. It just drives me crazy and exhausts me to try and comprehend them when I can't lipread!!

Alarms I am learning to use on my computer. Very handy! (Mostly to remember not to miss my tv shows as my new provider doesn't offer a "remind" function like my old one did. Also to sync my fitbit since it no longer does that automatically either.)

Stuffed animals and other such things, and (live) service animals definitely count! I've heard they can become like a "backup cerebellum" or other such essential extension of one's body. (A friend tried to convince me to get one years ago, but I kept saying I s needed a communication interface more. That hasn't changed.)

I can relate to so much of this!

For many years growing up and into adulthood, hearing seemed to be my primary sense also. eg. I listened for cars more than looked for them. I even had a friend comment on how I seemed to use my ears to process everything. Pretty funny given how bad my auditory processing is! But my music was my lifeline for many years, so... maybe there is a connection.

Okay, now that you're the second other person who has mentioned plastic cups, for th same reason as me, I have to laugh! I didn't realize, or may remember that it was that common! :D.

What is ASMR?

I don't tend to watch videos online since so many are noncaptioned voice overed. It just drives me crazy and exhausts me to try and comprehend them when I can't lipread!!

Alarms I am learning to use on my computer. Very handy! (Mostly to remember not to miss my tv shows as my new provider doesn't offer a "remind" function like my old one did. Also to sync my fitbit since it no longer does that automatically either.)

Stuffed animals and other such things, and (live) service animals definitely count! I've heard they can become like a "backup cerebellum" or other such essential extension of one's body. (A friend tried to convince me to get one years ago, but I kept saying I s needed a communication interface more. That hasn't changed.)

Yes, listening for cars instead of looking around at a crosswalk is something I do as well.

ASMR stands for autonomous sensory meridian response, essentially it’s something that happens for some people (but not everyone) where certain things such as specific sounds or motions will cause a tingling sensation, often in the top of the head and down the spine, or can be through the whole body (though for some reason mine seems to have recently moved to my left lego_O). Typically people find it to be a pleasant/relaxing sensation, and there are a ton of videos on Youtube that are designed to trigger this response in people. Different people have different triggers, common ones include tapping, whispering, and hand motions, some of mine are spraying noises, being brushed with a soft makeup brush, and certain music, particularly cello, specific vocal harmony, and anything chant-ey. Some videos have soft talking, some have deliberately indistinct or nonsense whispering (that’s a trigger for some people), and some have no speech at all. I like to watch them when I’m winding down for bed.

My service dog helps a lot with my anxiety and preventing shutdowns, just having him there is beneficial, so is petting him, and he has some pressure tasks that he’s trained to do (such as putting his head in my lap or putting his paws on my shoulders (he’s a standard poodle, so pretty big). I’m also training him to brace since I’ve developed a bit of an issue with balance/dizziness, that’s where he would stand firm so I can use him to steady myself. He’s a little out of practice right now since he hasn’t been out much due to COVID, most of what I’ve been out for is medical appointments where it wouldn’t be the best idea to bring him, ideally we would be to the point where he would be able to read me well enough to pick up on my anxiety/shutdowns and I wouldn’t even have to ask him to perform tasks.

Yes, listening for cars instead of looking around at a crosswalk is something I do as well.

ASMR stands for autonomous sensory meridian response, essentially it’s something that happens for some people (but not everyone) where certain things such as specific sounds or motions will cause a tingling sensation, often in the top of the head and down the spine, or can be through the whole body (though for some reason mine seems to have recently moved to my left lego_O). Typically people find it to be a pleasant/relaxing sensation, and there are a ton of videos on Youtube that are designed to trigger this response in people. Different people have different triggers, common ones include tapping, whispering, and hand motions, some of mine are spraying noises, being brushed with a soft makeup brush, and certain music, particularly cello, specific vocal harmony, and anything chant-ey. Some videos have soft talking, some have deliberately indistinct or nonsense whispering (that’s a trigger for some people), and some have no speech at all. I like to watch them when I’m winding down for bed.

My service dog helps a lot with my anxiety and preventing shutdowns, just having him there is beneficial, so is petting him, and he has some pressure tasks that he’s trained to do (such as putting his head in my lap or putting his paws on my shoulders (he’s a standard poodle, so pretty big). I’m also training him to brace since I’ve developed a bit of an issue with balance/dizziness, that’s where he would stand firm so I can use him to steady myself. He’s a little out of practice right now since he hasn’t been out much due to COVID, most of what I’ve been out for is medical appointments where it wouldn’t be the best idea to bring him, ideally we would be to the point where he would be able to read me well enough to pick up on my anxiety/shutdowns and I wouldn’t even have to ask him to perform tasks.

Hmm... my skin is creeping just at your description of the videos. Don't think I'll be investigating them any time soon! Glad they help you though.

Wow! Big dog! I can never remember if a standard poodle is the approx. Waist height ones, or the super huge ones. Either way, with the toy poodles being more common around here, or minutures, I don't see a lot of the bigger varieties. Keep forgetting they aren't the "original" size. I once has to interact (from behind a fence) with one of the suprr huge ones on a fairly regular basis when I worked outdoors. One of the neighbouring houses to where I worked had one. Super deep, scary bark!!

Okay, guessing you don't have one that big for a service dog due to practicality issues.

Meant to ask how long you've had it? (Him/her/them?) It doesn't sound like very long?

Hmm... my skin is creeping just at your description of the videos. Don't think I'll be investigating them any time soon! Glad they help you though.

Wow! Big dog! I can never remember if a standard poodle is the approx. Waist height ones, or the super huge ones. Either way, with the toy poodles being more common around here, or minutures, I don't see a lot of the bigger varieties. Keep forgetting they aren't the "original" size. I once has to interact (from behind a fence) with one of the suprr huge ones on a fairly regular basis when I worked outdoors. One of the neighbouring houses to where I worked had one. Super deep, scary bark!!

Okay, guessing you don't have one that big for a service dog due to practicality issues.

Meant to ask how long you've had it? (Him/her/them?) It doesn't sound like very long?

That’s okay, it’s not for everyone:)

Standard poodles are roughly waist high. People sometimes assume Merlin (my dog) is a labradoodle because they’re used to miniature/toy poodle, but he’s all poodle (they also tend to assume he’s a girl because he’s a poodle). His bark is on the deeper side, but not super deep, though he has a tendency to bark and growl when off duty because one of his previous trainers let his protective reactions get out of control, we’re still working on that and he’s slowly improving.

I’ve actually had Merlin for a few years, I just haven’t trained him to be constantly attentive to me because that isn’t something I need from him, other people do need that from their service dogs and do train for that.

New Threads

Top Bottom