• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How many of you are unemployed?

Mr Faramoose

I wish to know this, because I've talked to a lot of people in real life about work, and most of them say they have hard or bad days but asides from this, they are perfectly able to work. However, it seems, and I'm not making a general assumption, but a lot of people on the spectrum or with autistic traits seem to have difficulty maintaining employment. What reasons are behind this interest me, is it actually gaining the job, problem with the interview? Finding the motivation to work? Being able to cope with other people for hours a day or are there other reasons? Perhaps you have anxiety about working or being stuck in one place, difficulty understanding what others seem to grasp easily or an associated problem somehow related to being on the spectrum.

I'm unemployed, but luckily I'm old enough to collect social security. I worked a night shift by myself for 25 years. I was a COBOL programmer. Jobs like that were easy to get and easy to keep because nobody else wanted them. That kind of job is pretty much obsolete now and so is COBOL. My social security would have been more if I had worked until I was 65 or 70, now I've got to figure out how to live on a little bit of money.

I'm among the ones that are unemployed. Therapists think it's for the better of it, especially in my rather volatile state I'm usually in. Mind you, I can manage it fine the way I live now. Though some people might think I live like a savage, lol.

Therapists could obviously see if I get support, but financially I'm in the grey area that's not covered in any way like that. I'd pretty much have to get myself in debt to even see if it might work for me.

The one time I had a job I ended up being more at a therapist, but apparently the company I worked for thought it was "fine" but still decided to fire me (I blame "good economy" and them being short on people among the reasons). Irregardless of circumstances why I held a job I'm therefore not eligible for disability benefits (though that's a recent law that changed; looking at past laws, there's a few I would've fallen under otherwise... and actually have more funds to get stuff sorted out).

Why is it a problem for me?

• Ongoing depressions on and off (since I've been diagnosed with minor traits of mood swings in a rather apparent sense; I'm not bipolar, cyclothymic, dysthymic or anything, but let's keep it at "I'm not that far off"), and those swings get more severe if I'm not keeping myself in line by pursuing things that keep my "happy".
  • Having no real "concept" of day and night in terms that my biorhythm is way off. I'm a night person as such, but I don't limit my sleeping patterns to 24 hour schedules. Sometimes I don't sleep for a few days, others I sleep 12+ hours.
  • A number of sensory factors required for me to be a productive member of any department. I can't deal with loud noises or bright lights. During day I wear shades and I never leave the house with my ipod. So we're talking major adjustments to just keep me "sane".
  • I don't own a car (nor a license) and traffic in general is too stressful for me. In the past I found that even taking a bus or train on a daily basis was a lot of stress for me due to crowds as well as the "staticness" a busride brings I guess. When I attended university and had to go by train I always had my laptop around... my mind will wander to dark places if I'm not busy all the time. Though that's a comorbid thing with ADHD. But not having means to go somewhere limits employment a bit. I tried driving lessons... some people just can't manage that.
  • Similarly I can't focus on a single task too much... ADHD and concentration don't go hand in hand... unless it's something of interest, which in general aren't things to get employed in.
  • Social interaction never worked for me. Mind you, I CAN talk talk to people, I'm not afraid that much, but even my "spare time" social group is really, really small and I sometimes feel that this is too much already. So yeah... having to deal with people doesn't work for me.
  • I'm terrible at verbal communication. I always have pen and paper around, and usually take notes (or am prepared about what I need to say). Smalltalk for such reasons doesn't work, and any jobs that require talking don't work either (callcenter jobs are out). I'm not really talking scripts thought, but I really need to have my information ready... (and hope people will stay with that and not go on tangents). Otherwise my talking sounds like incoherent rambling with little care for grammar. I think it's that my mind is more busy thinking WHAT to say, than actually how to say it.
  • The times I have been at interviews people told me early on that I wasn't fit because I came across as "too smart"... I even got fired (and had this on documentation) once for being "overqualified"... and I don't even have a degree. I've been let go in order to "motivate" me to get a degree of sorts.
  • How silly it might sound, I do have a problem with "appearance". Compared to back then when I actively had to look for jobs, I look relatively neutral now. But I usually tend to get more into bodymodifications, mohawks and stuff like that. It's something I am willing to budge on a bit... but a bit usually isn't enough, lol. The reason I mention it, is because this actually got me at a therapist once for a minor "identity disorder" thing going.

That's a handful of problems I encounter when we're talking employment.

Needless to say that I went the same route in education and have no formal training in any way. I'm a drop out of way too much courses... but at least I can say that I tried. But not having a degree in anything, therefore looking like I'm "dumb" on paper and coming across as weird and dare I say "smart" in person usually is a supervisors nightmare for them to fit me in the department with other co-workers who have the same thing going on, on paper.

However... I'm not going to state that "I'm not fit to work"... that's the wrong expression I feel... "I'm not capable to work any job that's available" since there's probably companies that might work somehow in terms of employment.

I've been self-employed since I was 19. The idea of having to go out and get a job is terrifying to me. I doubt I'd interview well. Things like figuring out how to dress for the interview (or the job, for that matter) would be hard for me. Being around people all day wouldn't be fun and I'm not especially good at taking directions. I am very motivated to work and I think I'm good at what I do, but if I had to work for someone else I doubt I'd be have as successful.

I've been self-employed since I was 19. The idea of having to go out and get a job is terrifying to me. I doubt I'd interview well. Things like figuring out how to dress for the interview (or the job, for that matter) would be hard for me. Being around people all day wouldn't be fun and I'm not especially good at taking directions. I am very motivated to work and I think I'm good at what I do, but if I had to work for someone else I doubt I'd be have as successful.

Can you share what you do? I've been thinking a bit of getting self-employed as well (mostly for reasons you mentioned)... don't really know how that works out for me, so I'm curious what you do, as well as how you obtained the skills you need for it.

I run a small online media business (is that suitably vague enough? :D) and before that I taught martial arts. Both of my businesses grew out of my special interests so that's how I acquired the core skills. The rest of the skills required for running a business (bookkeeping, PR, etc.) I picked up by reading, studying other businesses and taking a few college-level courses. Mostly I made a lot up as I went along and learned some stuff the hard way, but I also tend to be good at looking at something (an ad, an accounting system, a sample tax form) and modeling it, so being self-taught works pretty well for me.

I am actually employed. I however have tried to get another job in my field but interviewing is very hard for me. I tend to over talk or give too short of answers and get very overly excited about answers that I am sure I have the right proper answer to. I like working. I like having a set schedule. I like knowing for the most part day to day what is expected of me and what I am supposed to do each shift. While I enjoy my time off and my vacations I don't think I would do well unemployed.

I am currently unemployed. I was working for a total of about a year and 5 months. First i worked at Jiffy Lube for 5 months and then i saw an opportunity to be able to do more then just oil changes so i gave my notice and worked at the Honda dealership for a year and 2 days before i was let go "because i wasn't productive enough" according to what they said. I was in college classes at that time and the boss had asked me to quit school and work for him full time and i refused. after that he constantly played mind games with me until he finally let me go. for me it's trouble with interviews it seems and being able to "sell myself" that keeps me from getting another job as well as lack of transportation.

I have been unemployed since July 4th after being fired from a job I had for 6yrs. I am working on trying to find a new one and get disability.
This was my 12th job and I was working non-stop since 14 (28yrs). I have just about lost all faith in the working world due to the non-stop
discrimination against those of us with disabilities.:banghead:

Better start collecting our unemployment benefits, and start doing what we love.

Like maybe compiling statistics for the Florida Gators college football team, and write articles on interesting phenomenon, based on our statistics :p

The sad part is that most of us can work just not to NT standards! That's why I wish I could work with animals they never complain and
often appreciate it!:D

Hi, I'm new to this site, but I can tell you I am long-term unemployed after being laid off due to stress at work. I always moved jobs regularly and never got on with any of my "colleagues" (that title is meaningless to me!).

I was self employed for many years, as I found it suited me best. On reflection, it was a mistake trying to work with others! I never found getting interviews a problem as I am very (very) good at filling in application forms, but once I started getting stressed with people at work I found my mask slipping and I stopped getting offered new jobs even though I always got the interviews. Perhaps they picked up on the real me?? Or maybe I couldn't pretend to be like them!

I've had therapy for a couple of years now, getting over depression and anxiety. All through this, I thought that it was "them not me" that needed the help!! I agree with the view that we struggle because we compete in the NT world. I'd like to see the average person try and compete in my world when it comes to my areas of interest! I suppose that's what makes it hard for us, being in the minority? even worse when we don't know why...

I wonder if being diagnosed early on would help people better nowadays? I've only just found why I am like I am (I'm 39). I could perhaps have succeeded so much more if I wasn't fighting my own ignorance all the way....

I don't see that being an Aspie is a disadvantage - as long as you are aware of it! I certainly don't think it's a reason not to succeed in getting 'jobs'. Rather, it helps you as you can make more informed choices early on, and hopefully avoid the problems people older like myself have gotten into.

More and more I read on this forum, I keep wondering, not what's wrong with us... but what's wrong with the rest.

I'm all for getting people employed, but with people mentioning social problems for example, I feel that's it seriously lacking in support for people to get employed. It's starting to get silly.

There is no "act normal"... I'm not asking someone in a wheelchair to run a marathon either.

/mini-rant

I think being diagnosed early (around 3rd grade) would have been awesome unlike waiting till 39yrs old. I would have avoided retail
jobs all together! and would probably be in my dream field working with animals (dolphins,orca,alligators/crocs,etc) by now.
The most difficult thing about finding work here in Gainesville is 90% of the jobs are all retail Ugh!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not just unemployed...I'm chronically unemployed!! Haven't worked in over 5 years. I'm actually in therapy for some of the issues that led to me getting fired, and I thought of something one day while I was watching a video of the space shuttle Columbia disaster on YouTube--how first, NASA got arrogant, then they got careless, then they got stupid, and then the Columbia burned up on reentry. And as crazy as it may sound, that's what happens to me when I'm working:

First I get arrogant (because I get positive feedback from employers), then I get careless (sloppy with performance, which begins declining), and then I get stupid, (bending, if not outright breaking rules) which, along with the decrease in performance, leads to termination.

Anybody else have this problem (Or a similar one)?

My problem is every employer expects NT standards from me and that is not going to happen.
The 2 worst are expectations are of speed in tasks and social tasks.
My fastest speed is usually at or below my peers average pace and the social part is obvious ie talking to customers etc.:banghead:

To make matters worse I not only have to deal with the AS but also Schizo affective bipolar disorder.

Last edited:
My problem is every employer expects NT standards from me and that is not going to happen.
The 2 worst are expectations are of speed in tasks and social tasks.
My fastest speed is usually at or below my peers average pace and the social part is obvious ie talking to customers etc.:banghead:

I can relate, Nolan1971. Both to the expectations of speed in tasks and social tasks--unfortunately for me, many of my previous jobs have involved interacting with people--either face-to-face or over the phone, and I had troubles handling either one. (Which, along with the progression of arrogant, careless, and stupid, led to my getting terminated from every single job.) Yeah, my fastest speed is usually below my peers' average pace...unless we're talking about typing...there, I can outperform most people. (70-80 wpm with minimal errors.)

If it was not for the speed & social skills I could easily out perform my peers in actual hands on tasks. ( Accuracy, creativity, cleanliness)
Just knowing that makes it even harder to swallow!
:stomp:

Left to my own devices I constantly got more tasks done without being told to do them than anyone I worked with.
I was the go to guy when the manager had special tasks to get done cleaning & repairing things that went
beyond my normal job duties.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom