• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How many of you are unemployed?

i could work...but the NT's won't let me. coworkers sabotage me, or customers complain that I am unfriendly or weird. nothing I can do changes that. So, I'll take disability...they won't let me work, so it's on them. And oh yeah, I had a nice career as a vet lined up, til the NT's shot it down because I couldn't understand school politics.

I am on disability now.

I used to work in retail, I did it for about 10 years. I did different things there from being a clerk, merchandising, resets, and orderwriting. At one point I was told by my coworkers that I was a better manager than my manager. I did get very stressed out sometimes, but I worked hard and so they put up with my quirks, telling me to take extra breaks, to work in the back when I couldn't deal with the people, adjusting schedules to avoid people who got on my nerves, etc. But when I got into orderwriting, it involved emailing buyers and talking to managers and getting them to turn in reports. I was good at the rest of it, but that part was stressful for me, I didn't know why. By then I was living on my own and had to take the bus to and from work, this was a total of two hours everyday and so I decided to change to a location closer to me. It was like a culture shock there. The people were so different they didn't care about their jobs at all, and at the old store there were a few students who were from the local art college and some "geeky" people who were fun to talk to. The people there got my jokes and stuff. The new store there was none of that. I started to get anxiety cause I couldn't get anyone to follow through on any of the reports I needed them to do so I could do my job. But since they had been doing everything wrong at that store in regards to the reports, my coming there had given them a boost, so they changed me to another department, still orderwriting, but only for that department. But the manager of that department, was very intense. I always felt like she was yelling at me. She would tell me to lie to corporate about the numbers on my reports, then would later in the day act like she never told me that, and imply that if someone came in to check up on us, i was going to be in trouble. She would say sometimes, let me know if you need help and I will have so-and-so help you, then ten minutes later say she never said that, and yell at me saying, I can't just take my people what they are doing to help you, everytime you fall behind. I think over time she just broke me down. I had always felt depressed and anxious, and suicidal. But I found myself constantly whispering over and over that I wanted to die, so I asked to transfer to another department. At first it was great, but then the people that I had made friends with started seperating from me, and that felt bad, and I started to get paranoid. The job started feeling hard, the people I worked with started picking apart the way I did things, saying it took to long, but to me it made the most sense. The job started feeling harder and harder, and I had alot of time to myself to think, and the bad thoughts wouldn't stop, I started feeling like I couldn't go into work. I was honest with my boss, telling him that I couldn't come in because of the anxiety. And he was very sympathetic and told me it was ok. But my co-workers didn't appreciate it, and my ex-friends started harassing me. The boss gave me an easier job in the same department. I loved it at first, I liked organizing and merchandising, and I was very methodical about it. But after awhile that started to feel hard too. So he gave me an easier job, which for the most part involved me sitting in an office printing out tags for the shelf. It was nice cause I didn't have to deal with people and especially not my ex-friends. But even that started to feel hard. I couldn't understand why even with easier jobs it felt so hard. I felt as though I was running in water, no matter hard I tried, I didn't get very far. Then one morning I started hearing voices and it freaked me out. I went to the doctor and he said I had dissociative disorder. I ended up asking for the form for short term disability. I would have had 3 months with pay for how long I had worked there, and my doctor said he would sign it, but he wanted me to tell him when I felt safe to come back, he said I couldn't put myself back into a situation where I felt unsafe, but I couldn't give him a date, so he signed it, but told me to fill in the date myself. But the disability was denied because the handwriting didn't match and they wanted me back the following monday. I was freaking out, I called my boss and told him that I felt i couldn't come in. He told me to call him when I was ready. Then one day I got a call from his boss saying she needed to know when I was going to be back. I said I didn't know, and if she needed an answer right then, I would say that I just couldn't. So I don't know if I was fired or if I quit. I went back in one day to say goodbye to the people that I thought would care, and I cried so hard. I had worked so hard just to throw it all away. The first friend I made there, I had sent her a message explaining why so she didn't worry. She said I was lazy and that I came in every month with a new diagnosis and she was tired of my sad stories and she wished I would just get over it.

I do really good in interviews. Usually toward the beginning of the interview I say "sorry, I'm a little nervous" this explains any fidgeting or stuttering. I smile and I have a soft voice which makes me seem friendly. I have found for me, when starting a new job, I do great at it at first. People will say wow you are catching on to this faster than most do. But in the beginning you are expected to make mistakes cause you are still learning. After awhile I start feeling more pressure, it gets to a point where they start saying you should be getting this by now.

I have thought about trying to get a job, but then I think these people are counting on me to do what I say I can do, what if I can't, then I am letting them down. I have tried to take classes at the community college here, but I get real bad anxiety. I can't explain why my reasoning behind it, but I just feel like I can't be there, or I can't go. I did manage to finish a poetry class, but every other class I didn't finish.

I'm unemployed and I likely won't be searching for work until I finish college--if I finish.

I've only ever had one job and that lasted for three months. I was fifteen and my then-boyfriend got me hired at Dunkin' Donuts, where he worked. I never would have been brave enough to get a job on my own at some random store. I only worked three days per week, but it was stressful for me. I didn't like dealing with customers and my voice sounded really weird over the drive-through microphone. I quit that job shortly after that boy and I broke up and I told my employers our breakup was the reason I quit. But, I mostly quit so I wouldn't have to deal with the stress. :p

Pella, I too moved jobs, and ended up in a place where my boss tried to pin stuff on me over reports that were made up and not backed up by figures. not good. She was unfortunate that I had backed myself up with evidence of the wrongdoings of the other people involved. Still, it was me that was made redundant cos of I'll health.

my only hope is being self employed. I never will work for/with other people again. Im not willing to go through it all over again. I lost everything when I lost my job cos of stress. I'd worked very hard to get there, and now all that time and effort has been wasted. I even have a MA which is utterly useless to me now.

If self employment doesn't work, I doubt I will ever work again....

i could work...but the NT's won't let me. coworkers sabotage me, or customers complain that I am unfriendly or weird. nothing I can do changes that. So, I'll take disability...they won't let me work, so it's on them. And oh yeah, I had a nice career as a vet lined up, til the NT's shot it down because I couldn't understand school politics.

That's one way to put it, heh.

I can relate to this. I don't really see myself as a problem in terms of being "useful" it's just that me, as a person, is weird (and by some strange standard) not friendly. I should add in that it's not only that there's a bunch of traits that make me a bit of an outcast (for lack of a better word)... add in personal interests, motivations, outlook on life, goals and what have you.

I still feel there's a big difference between doing your job physically and all the things around it going on mentally and/or socially. The latter, has, in my opinion, only little to do with actual productive employment.

And this is totally aside from if there's sensory issues I might or might not have.

I'm unemployed, and as I'm still in education my parents aren't trying to push me into getting a job. But I have applied for a few jobs, all to no avail. I'd like to have a part-time job to earn my own money, as well as gaining more experience (I did a work placement a while back), because the longer I go without having a job the more difficult I'll find it to get one. Time goes by so quickly and I don't want to get left behind.

pella, i just read through your whole post, i commend you for carrying on regardless of how hard you found it, but it does not sound as strange as you might think when you say ''I don't know why but I just felt like I couldn't be there or go back there''. see to me that reminds me of when i had a new job as a retail baker, I'd had 17 jobs in three years and although training went great and I knew roughly what to do, when it came to finally getting up and cycling to work, I couldn't do it, I just could not get myself to go in, not in a lazy way but more so like my brain knew before I'd begun that I wasn't going to be able to cope there. I wonder if for you you feel like you become more exhausted the more social interaction you have to do at work, maybe this adds to your difficulties, I think you said you had to go into the back of the stock room, was this to recover mentally from all the talking/ thinking how to interact? Just in my other jobs I noticed how being a night worker stacking shelves I lasted ten months as I was consistently alone, but being on the counter in mcdonalds, it really wore my mind out as if I had to think so much harder than everyone else on the tills. I refer back to the feeling of ''I can't go back there'' and your lack of reasoning, and I'm not saying I'm right, but that sounds like anxiety over riding you, or maybe depression, both could severely affect your ability to actually go into the workplace if it played out so far, everyone has their limits

pella, i just read through your whole post, i commend you for carrying on regardless of how hard you found it, but it does not sound as strange as you might think when you say ''I don't know why but I just felt like I couldn't be there or go back there''. see to me that reminds me of when i had a new job as a retail baker, I'd had 17 jobs in three years and although training went great and I knew roughly what to do, when it came to finally getting up and cycling to work, I couldn't do it, I just could not get myself to go in, not in a lazy way but more so like my brain knew before I'd begun that I wasn't going to be able to cope there. I wonder if for you you feel like you become more exhausted the more social interaction you have to do at work, maybe this adds to your difficulties, I think you said you had to go into the back of the stock room, was this to recover mentally from all the talking/ thinking how to interact? Just in my other jobs I noticed how being a night worker stacking shelves I lasted ten months as I was consistently alone, but being on the counter in mcdonalds, it really wore my mind out as if I had to think so much harder than everyone else on the tills. I refer back to the feeling of ''I can't go back there'' and your lack of reasoning, and I'm not saying I'm right, but that sounds like anxiety over riding you, or maybe depression, both could severely affect your ability to actually go into the workplace if it played out so far, everyone has their limits

The depression and anxiety have always been an issue. When managers told me i could work in the back it was usually because I got frustrated over a situation, or was overwhelmed because we had a rush of people. I did prefer merchandising and organizing to helping customers, At the time I thought it was more being able to see the progress. But when I didn't have to wait on customers so much it started to feel hard again. I was being harrassed by my ex-friends and I think that contributed to it being worse for me. Just everything felt like pressure.

I am willing to move to another place that accepts my autism diagnosis. Singapore has no room for my ambitions, skills and my conditions...

I just quit my job as an educator. I was only able to do it for one semester. In many ways it was a lot of fun but the social aspects really got me. It got to the point that when I would eat lunch with other teachers, they would not say a word to me. It was difficult dealing with parents and other students, so much so that they hated me. So in some ways it was good that I quit. I was teaching at a private school and I do not have state teaching credentials. My education is working in academic libraries. I am worried that I will not be able to find a job because of my aspi issues. I worry that I will not be able to get along with others or be able to do the job the way they want me to. I wonder if I will ever find a job that I can do. Any thoughts of what I should do.

Now, this I can definitely relate to, having been unemployed for over 5 years. My problem, as I've seen time and time again, is that when I start a job, I usually do well...so well, in fact, that I get compliments and kudos from the supervisor(s). These make me arrogant (thinking I can't be fired), and then, I get lazy (not putting forth 100%, or being sloppy in my work), and then, I get stupid (doing things that bend, if not outright break rules), which inevitably leads me to get fired. My problem now, having had several jobs, and having been fired from almost all of them, is that prospective employers, when they contact past employers and ask if they would hire me again, are invariably told "No," and then, I can imagine what happens to my letter/resume/application (torn in half and tossed in the circular file.)

This thread reads like the story of my life tbh.

I'm not employed atm after leaving a job because I was basically forced out by a manager bullying me. Long story. It has taken me about six months to get to the point where I can get a job again even though I'm still afraid because this is not the first time I have suffered through a situation like this.

The best job I ever had was working for a boss in my home country. He was a hard military man but he had a good heart and he knew how to keep his employees happy. And he seemed to like me. But any way another story.

I seem to struggle with things that other people would normally find easy. But I excel at things other people find hard. I find it hard to interact with colleagues and I have been targeted before by other people because of my social anxieties and fears.

Right now I need to get a job to help make ends meet. I desperately want to have my own business. I want to work for myself. but I just don't know how to get a business working. Even that I seem to be failing in. I have a lot of good ideas but they all need money.

I also have a massive amount of student loan debt because I was expected to go to university and study. And now that I am away from people who expect that of me I realize I didn't really want that life. I wanted something else. So now I have to live with the fact that I have largely wasted my 20s living up to other people's standards and not my own. I'm in a right pickle.

But you know I will work it out ... some how. I kind of know what I would love to do ... I want to be a councillor because I love to help people but I can't get a student loan in the country I live in until I get permanent residency and its too expensive to pay up front for me and my husband. But I think things will work out. I just have to have faith because if I don't I have nothing.

Other than a sporadic "allowance" for typing up emails for my dad's business once in a while, I am 25 years old and I am STILL looking for a job. I blame it on the fact that I was too busy in high school to get my drivers license. I didn't get it until I was 20, when the economy was REALLY taking a nose-dive. I feel like it hexed me. Now everywhere I apply I'm shot down because I'm "inexperienced". I hate how that works...

I really want my own income BADLY now. My living situation is that I am still living with my parents (and some of the fights with my dad I have to deal with get so ridiculous sometimes that I'm convinced I could handle retail easily... not going to talk about it. It just makes me angry and frustrated.), and I am graduating from college this semester.

I'm hoping this is the year I'm finally employed. I am getting married this year and I need money to afford that life (and to live it comfortably).

I don't have a job and I have never had one.
I've had "adapted practical placements" but none of them have worked out.
I've tried study at college and university, but that haven't worked either.
It's just too much to do on to little time and also several things at once and I can't handle that at all.
But I do have what's called "daily activity" which I have the right too through a certain law here in Sweden called LSS.
(about the LSS law in english)

But I do have what's called "daily activity" which I have the right too through a certain law here in Sweden called LSS.
(about the LSS law in english)

I find it interesting they mention autism specifically as one of the criteria to be eligible for that. And looking at what's being done for disabled people here... you clearly have a lot more specific rights over there in Sweden.

Over here, in the Netherlands, it's all dumbed down to statistics to where management will decline any application, even if you are impaired. A diagnosis alone isn't enough anymore to them.

Hope that LSS thing works out for you at least.

Is there anything with that LSS regulation you actually have issues with personally? Like, that it limits what you can do in terms of working towards a viable future for yourself (in terms of employment or education) or something like that?

I find it interesting they mention autism specifically as one of the criteria to be eligible for that. And looking at what's being done for disabled people here... you clearly have a lot more specific rights over there in Sweden.

Over here, in the Netherlands, it's all dumbed down to statistics to where management will decline any application, even if you are impaired. A diagnosis alone isn't enough anymore to them.

Hope that LSS thing works out for you at least.

Is there anything with that LSS regulation you actually have issues with personally? Like, that it limits what you can do in terms of working towards a viable future for yourself (in terms of employment or education) or something like that?
No no issues really, but the social workers who take care of it all judge the law fairly personal, so you won't always got what you need.
It sound really good on paper, but isn't usually so irl. I've been fairly lucky on that point, but I know so many others who have not.

I'm currently on Social Security disability due to mental defect (I was diagnosed bipolar, in addition to having diabetes, and lower back problems). I had major harm done to me by taking antidepressants. My brothers(except maybe my youngest brother and his wife, who have a son and a daughter who are low functioning autistic), although the 2 middle brothers consider them to be mentally retarded, err, excuse me, intellectually challenged. Even my youngest brother thinks I'm a lazy bum, at times. The only people that seem to get it with my problems with depression are the members of my church and church choir. Almost all of them can read me like a book, and likewise, most of the time. I'm probably the nicest, most emphatic, and most sensitive person you'll ever meet. Just don't get me angry. However, since I was a spendthrift as a kid, I'll probably end up working until I drop dead. Besides, I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I had nothing to do.

I am unemployed and has been that way for a while. I go to the interview but I don't get hired. I wonder if it does with having gaps in my resume. When I do get a job, sadly I don't last long. My symptoms are what gets in the way. I find for myself when there is too much stress (ex: cashier, lineup of people) I get really nervous. I am unable to handle it. places with lots of people or smells greatly affect me. Also I am slow, takes time to understand, and employers don't understand this.

New Threads

Top Bottom