• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you react to people who are different or slow?

pamelaperejil

Non-player character
How do you treat people who are different or slower than you, for whatever reason?

I tend to see "differentness" as something positive, even aspirational. I think it's foolish to expect everyone to think alike, act alike. Oddness is often thought provoking and always entertaining, though I do give considerable weight to who is a good person. Ultimately, if I think they're just a #######5 person, mere novelty alone won't be enough to outshine the fact. But novelty is always a draw. It strikes me as creative, brave.

Unfortunately, being a good person and being odd/nonconformist rarely go together. Throw in intelligence (and/or taste) and you've got yourself a unicorn.

I also tend to look down on forced conformity/cliquish behavior/circle jerkery. To me, it's seems weak minded and senselessly elitist. That's not just sour grapes. I really don't like being around people who act that way, even when I'm not on the receiving end of it. I think some of the "bratty" or "attention seeking" behavior that's been imputed to me is simply this: unconcern for social mores and unconcern for the good opinion of people who I don't regard highly myself. I think the term "attention whore" gets thrown out far more often against me than it is deserved.

But then, at work I'm intolerant of people who are slow or can't keep up (mentally or physically). I value people at work largely by their productivity. But also, in part, by how much effort they make. Their attitude and work ethic. I pretty much reject anyone who is not like me. I see them as a burden.

What does "#######5" mean?
Something negative or unpleasant, apparently.

I just don't know the meaning of "#######5."

No.
Cursing and vulgarity aren't allowed.

There are probably inoffensive words equally expressive though.
:)

"Good and "odd" can certainly belong in the same sentence, otherwise, all people with autism would be bad people!

I like personality and quirkiness myself, but in certain forms, only in small doses. I find bubbly, terribly gregarious people difficult at times, as I'm an introvert and can't cope with a lot of loud behaviour, or people who are in your face the whole time.

I try to embrace non-conformist attitudes and behavior, within limits. I am obviously human, so certain behaviors will grate on my nerves and I may not find myself understanding someone's quirks no matter how hard I try.

I can get impatient when people are slow. I take care to hide it, especially when I’m working. I’m not proud of it, but I generally avoid spending prolonged periods of time with slow people because of this.
As for people who are different: depends on what makes them different. I don’t like people who are loud, obnoxious or rude. I don’t like people who interrupt others. I care a great deal about proper manners. So if someone is different in that they lack those, I want to have as little as possible to do with them.

People who are slow, whether it be from a physical or mental reason, doesn't bother me.
I may feel a little sorry for them, although I would never show that.
It could be embarrasing for them or they could be just the opposite and crave pity.
I just try to be helpful if they need it and that makes me feel good.

Different can be a personality I like or not.
I don't like loud, cussing and obnoxious types. They think they can rule others and make themselves
feel overpowering. Doesn't make me feel good, nor does it most people.
Wonder if it even makes themselves feel good. Or are they just mean, angry people who explode?

Also don't like those who try to push their beliefs on you. Religion, political views and such.
Discussion, but, don't try to make me change my beliefs either.

I do get frustrated when people don't see what I can see, or I explain something over and over, and they still don't get it, or when they make the same mistake again and again. I don't like that I get frustrated, but can't help it. And who's really to blame?

I must ask myself, is it their fault that they don't understand, or my fault that I don't make myself clear and fail to communicate?

It's ironic really, as I often don't understand when other people explain to me, and then I become the object of their frustration. What goes around, comes around.

As for people who are different from me, well, that's ok, it's to be expected, but if we are totally incompatible and don't get on, then I just avoid them and don't get involved with them. Let them do their thing, and I'll do mine.

New Threads

Top Bottom