• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you grow up?

I also honestly just have no willpower whatsoever. I complain, I put things off, I've even faked being sick a few times because an hour or two of homework a day stressed me out so much. Random internet comments leave me pissed for hours. It feels like there's a wall in my head and once I break through it I'll be a better person, but every time I try it's too painful and I give up.

A lot of people here have said good things and I want to respond but I don't want to repeat what others have said LOL.
BTW, the fact that you are reaching out for feedback is GREAT! You are farther ahead than my 17 year old who I suspect is on the spectrum. He thinks he knows everything and yet lives his life like I'm always going to let him be 10 years old. He's supposed to be graduating grade 12 in June and yet can't complete grade 10 English. That one course is what is holding him back from joining the military. He's been bragging to everyone how he's going to join the Army but he's sabatoging himself. Not doing night school or summer school.
What DOES he do? He has a summer landscaping business that he loves but really...it's only about 2 months of work at best, and he loves playing video games.
I will write this in my own thread too because he's going to be 18 next month and I'm desperately looking for my own feedback about what to do.
So if you figure out how to get that motivation, post here. I guess if anything, my reply to you is just that you are not the only confused 17 year old out there. If you keep trying, there will be big changes in the next few years.

That one course is what is holding him back from joining the military. He's been bragging to everyone how he's going to join the Army but he's sabatoging himself.
If he can make it in the military, it is a great way to transition from dependency to independence.

If he can make it in the military, it is a great way to transition from dependency to independence.
I am not so convinced. At least in the finnish military the whole point is that you learn to be a cog in the machine. Sure, they teach you to be a cog that can survive, but a cog nevertheless. I hear people come out of there less independent, not more. It is said that they "institutionalize" themselves, becoming dependent on the machinery around them and turning incapable of making their own decisions. When you get used to taking orders, you lose the skill to give orders to yourself.

New Threads

Top Bottom