• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you feel about having kids?

Back after I graduated college and got a house, I got married and had a kid because well that's what people are supposed to do. Her NT 12-pack-a-day family was hell to deal with from day zero, starting most of the family court BS I've had to fight off over the last 11 years but that's for another time.

Anyway, I didn't get into the whole cute spoiled thing, I raised her (what I could for the first 2 yrs till her mom left, then all my time after that) as what I thought was right, even if it wasn't the most fun or convenient. No spoiling and saying stuff's ok and cute for so long then trying to tear them from it when it's time to teach them right and wrong. (which I believe is what causes terrible 2s and mine had none). I believed in total consistency from day one. I treated her very well but always stayed within limits which she respected. I played music for her in the belly and crib. I taught her about all sorts of things around the house. I had no problem changing diapers or whatever, no worse than car grease. She loved me like crazy, called me dee-dee. She loved books and so I would read to her, but I would ad-lib to joke about inconsistencies in the words or pictures (we still do this today). She spoke clearly and full thoughtful sentences easily by age 2. She never really threw tantrums because she never learned how it was like to be spoiled to begin with.

Age 2 her mom left for her folks, has moved like 9 times since then 150-175 miles away range. I did most of the driving the first year and all of it for the last 10 so she's 13. I've never dumped out on her due to work, horrible storms, broke car, whatever and I pride myself on that. Most of the time I work an 8 hr day then immediately do the drive which during storms has been 10 hrs. Then take her back 1.5 days later. She's here 50% till school then 50% summers and breaks, and every other weekend during school. She would much rather be here and has told others but again another time.

At age 2 she happily walked 2 hours with me to trick or treat in the rain then lined up her candy by type on the floor. I've been honest with her about everything all the time even if it's above her age level. She knows what life is like. She hates money because of what it does to the world. She happily works with me on everything that's important, doesn't fuss. She has always been the rop reader in her class, every report card is nearly all A's. Amazing artist. Understands how things work. Thinks all the time, has her phases of collecting things, loves tradition (for example eating in the same seat, filling the drink the same way, saying the same things, every time we go to eat). She has so many of my traits she really is a mini me. She has a couple close friends who she really gets talking with but is terrified to play with others she doesn't know. She is very quiet and very sensitive to light, touch, sound. Unfortunately she got my acid problems too. She loves going places with me to get away from people and noise. Loved the junkyard since stroller years. Extremely patient, considerate. One of the smartest, best behaved kids you will find. She gets nothing but praise from teachers and caregivers. She does have some AS traits but the fact she can and loves to read and write fiction makes her a bit more NT, but still more AS I think. I make sure she has things she needs and appreciative things here and there but she feels zero desire to keep up with the joneses. Actually when we go into places and kids are out of control and parents are totally inconsistent, she points it out to me quietly and kinda laughs, then laughs more about it when we are on our way in the car.

Maybe sad but honestly I don't know what I would do if she wasn't so much like me. I don't so much feel like a parent as like a little team with her and it feels awesome. We are often thinking the same thing, finish each other's sentences. She's more like me than anyone I know. Not much to say except she's the best kid I could have ever hoped for, even better than I imagined.

And I've had several relationship prospects say "Oh you're such a great dad, I've got a son whose dad walked out and I want somebody to be that dad, and that's why he's so messed up, can you help me fix him?" Sorry, yes unfortunate for him but not my duty to be dad charity to the world, I've got enough on my plate. I couldn't even begin to do that anyway. Let alone I don't know if I could raise a typical NT kid from day one. Hard to say if my daughter turned out from genetics, or from how I raised her, or both.

I have found that though my relationships with people on the outside world can be awkward and sometimes awful, my kids still love me, and I am relaxed and happy around them. They do my soul good. They keep me human.

I think the essential straightforward sincerity of an aspie can make them a good dad.
As tlc shows above, it's often the "straights" that are blown about by their emotional demons, causing disaster in a family.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about what it'll be like to have a child or more of my mine own and I think my girlfriend is thinking the same thing. The both of us are worried about whether or not we'd be good parents and taking care of a baby is full time thing :/

This is an article I appreciated:

You Shouldn’t Need A Reason For Not Having Kids | Thought Catalog

It's not something that I encounter very often, but it really bothers me when people ask about things like this that aren't any of their damn business, no matter how well-intentioned the questions are.

I can't locate the article, but I read one a few days ago, but I also read a different article about how men who want to have children shouldn't delay it for too long due to the physical demands that raising children can make on an aging body. Considering that I already have back problems at age 34, that's probably another reason why I am going to just stick to cat and dog babies.

I'd really like children with my boyfriend. I've wanted to have children since I hit puberty haha. People say I am quite maternal which is good for the future I suppose.

I think I'd slightly prefer my child to be on the spectrum, but I'd accept & love them either way. Even if they aren't like me in most ways.

I have 2 grown children of 19 and 17. Pleased to say that they both test negative for AS

I kinda hate kids, but I'd like to have mine.

I suppose you'd get over their mess and loud noises. I have OCD and I let my dog lick my face sometimes. However, I don't like being kissed by a human. Weird, huh?

Well this is a hard one on the one hand as a auspie I dread the thought of all the chaos and crying, and having kids seems like madness, and I worry if I would have the patiance for it. On the other hand when I cute little kids running around I sometimes wish I had tried harder to find a wife earlier and think on all the lovely things I could teach or do with them. I have noticed on some level I can relate (talk), with kids better than NTs. And I wouldn't be quite as likely to get caught up in work and forget my family, hopefully. But finding the right woman and figuring out how to pay for it all is hard.

I know that this is an older thread, but I thought I'd share my slant on this.

I've never wanted a relationship, marriage or children to be honest. Though I was born female, my gender identity and expression is male. Vintage Mod male, that is. I'm better off living the life of a younger man, due to the level of my Gender Dysphoria and my mental/emotional maturity.

I'm trying this again, I didn't really answer the question.
---
Boyfriend and I had discussed children for some time. I knew that there was a possibility that I might not be in a position at some point to have them. When Boyfriend and i would discuss them though? He said that if he felt he was in a good position to, yes- he wanted to.
I knew that wasn't a put off, some way to simply end the conversation and veer away from the topic. We also kind of grew up, in a way together. So this might not make a whole lot of sense but I felt "we" would be ready together- that is how it has been with many things. Independent but very aware of each other's strengths and weaknesses. If I had children, I wanted them with him and I really felt he would be the best partner for me to have children with. We have been around babies and children together and done well with them. But I really only wanted them with HIM.
So, here is what I wrote before, the only part I wrote... because I am generally focused on how things turned out sometimes and not the "before"- but it is important to how things are now.
---

I absolutely positively want children. I've wanted them for sometime.
There is so much that I would never be able to provide for them.

I know deep in my heart that none of those things include a loving home, supportive attentive parents or compassionate guidance. There are a lot of other things I can't provide and won't be able to, however- including a healthy mother [which has nothing to do with atypical neurology in ANY form, and is not the only issue].

So I'm alternately pissed off and heartbroken and still mourning it about two years after this pretty honest assessment and realization [which I've discussed with some of my providers].
I'm just now starting to really talk about it.

Also, also: just ran across something where people are constantly asking a newly married couple when they are going to have children of their own. This scenario never before occurred to me. So when/if I get married [probably] I have that constant/recurring trauma to look forward to.

<sarcasm>Hooray!</sarcasm>

I have always said that I did not want children, from the age of six.
I thought that my baby might be like me, and as I was already wishing myself dead by then, I made a firm decision and stuck to it.
My diagnosis is very recent and I'm SO glad that I made that choice.

i live on ssi (nothing) every month so kinda giggling at the "kids are SOOOO expensive" statements.
its true, they cost money, but if i can do it on a disability income as a single parent with autism challenges... then yeah. seriously. its not impossible, people.

i also didnt have anyone when i got pregnant to be a husband or boyfriend to me and thats ok as i have never fallen for anyone or really care to. (i currently have a boyfriend, and i do love him, but sadly for him, my kid always will be number 1.)
it was just me couch surfing and got knocked up. another homeless autistic not getting help or proper care in this country US. this has certainly changed since, of course and i have a home now :)
im not really complaining here, just more or less saying if i could have a kid like this from a situation such as the way it happened, probably may not be as challenging for a more fiscally allinged person or couple.

Here is where i find it hard;

i have a limited social tank, so lots of interaction with anyone, including my kid, can be a lot. Lots of talking, when it has been happening all day can become just noise. i take time at night to stim, i actually make time for this when she has gone to bed.
say if the words all stopped making sense and just sounded like decibles of sounds. I am lucky to have an understanding child.
i am not guilty to enlist help. My parents love kidnapping my kid and doing all the public fun stuff with her that i have challenges with. they generally take her the weekends, so i do get weekends to regenerate.

i cannot speak for all parents, my situation being rare.

Things i love about having a kid.
Others say they dont find pleasure in the small steps they take. my sympathies for them, as i was very joyless as a human before i had an accidental child. i thought kids were a nuisance before hand. i still dont like kids, i like MY kid. i also like freshly born babies :)
Her sweet face and her hugs and kisses and her love have made me happier than when i was able to "do whatever i want", i was more generally joyless before.

i like being able to explain why and how things work and getting scientific. i have a deep love of science so sharing that with someone like my kid is a lot of fun. We do little science experiments, we talk about plants on our walks with the dog and i like talking about different bugs we see. etc.
i tell her about biology and food choices and how sonethibgs are good to eat while others should be eaten sometimes. we watch surgeries on youtube together. This helps since i am homeschooling too.

i tell her how all people are different and use myself as an example a,lot. Because i am different than other people, and i think for a nornal nt person to grow up having a parent that is different, gives them an understanding of this.
Its the garbage that people talk about all the time but never do. i got stuck living it.

i am honest to her about autism and inform her on what its like. i have shown her the video of "what its like to walk down the street when you have autism" or a sensory challenge, so she understands why i have challenges at the store, or when we walk sonetines. i want her to know i am human and not invincible just because i am a grown up.

It also set a healthy routine for me to follow. i have to have a routine for me and ny daughter. kids needs routines and so do autistic people. so we work out well. we are also involved with a gym and she is friends with my friends kid too.

i should say most people should not have children. Thats my opinion. i feel it takes a type of person to raise a child. most people would say i am unable to because i am autistic. id say blind ignorance. Lookj at how nts can mess thier kids up sometimes.

anyway those are my basics in reference to your post and i hope it was helpful and not just forum vomit.

I'm in the strange situation of feeling quite maternal and wanting to have children someday, while being completely aromantic-asexual with zero interest in relationships. Short of parthogenesis, then, it's not going to happen.

If I'm ever financially stable enough (unlikely!) I intend to adopt.

i love people that adopt <3

i live on ssi (nothing) every month so kinda giggling at the "kids are SOOOO expensive" statements.
its true, they cost money, but if i can do it on a disability income as a single parent with autism challenges... then yeah. seriously. its not impossible, people.
I'm not on SSI, but my income does leave much to be desired. I bet we could swap a lot of good tips! :)

I'm not on SSI, but my income does leave much to be desired. I bet we could swap a lot of good tips! :)
For sure! :)
I am probably not traditionally a good resource, my rent is subsidized and i live in disabled housing. Plus i have relatives that probably think i am more autistic than i am (bless their sweet hearts), so i do have that advantage, but ill tell you things i do to keep a good order of household.
i cant say its easy but its not difficult either. other than cleaning routines every night,
my planning meals for the week helps for saving on groceries, i do this on weekends when i am alone. We also recieve food assistance. i am getting a fishing license in a week also, to save cost on protein. My daughter eats a LOT and is very tall, the man that is her biological father is a Swede and she is fairly stereotypical also, i am very tiny with food sensitivities and dont eat a lot so it ballances out, but yes, planning out meals is the key to feeding us every month with a very fixed income. It takes work but its not hard. Mostly catagorize things into staples and inventory. It helps to coupon but i dont do this and im probably dumb for not doing it.
If you have a kid in diapers, it does help to have a diaper schedule so you can buy enough monthly and then plus diapers for the really bad days. Never enough,wipes either.
i am lucky to have lots of relatives that buy her new clothes all the time so i honestly havent had an issue with that yet. Shoes are different.

toys arent so much of an issue either, same situation as the clothes. i have been making a recent habit of goibg to the toys r us with her every once a month to pick something out. Shes a good little person so i like to treat her out of my disposable income fraction. Buying general things online is also helpful for me.
we also find a lot of free things to do, she really likes minecraft and my little ponies.
Since i dont work we play a lot and walk thw dog, whom i also dont feed cheap dog food to her either. Better to buy quality dog food than pay expensive vet bills. I need this dog for bloodsugar abnormalities so i need her to stay healthy, this and i just love the dog and want her to live for a long time happily. Everyone in my building loves my dog, this can be awkward and inconvenient at times but that is beside the point.
money gets very tight. But we are not unhappy in my household. Keeping the house clean is part of what i have to do as a functioning routine, the visual weight bothers me so much and its a lot for me to process when my house is not tidy. Things grab my attn and distract me heavily, so keepibg your stress down, however that may be, is a good way to keep from getting frustraited with your kid in the bad moments.
Having a calm household lighting strategy helps me too. i have lots of colored and xmas lights inside, some with illuminatibg fabric. Really not expensive to do of you plan for it.

i hope that was at least remotely helpful.

I'm not married and am too long in the tooth to consider starting a family. Still, if I weren't, I don't believe I would be a good parent. Besides not being raised right and learning the skills, my AS would create problems for me as a parent. My friends' kids have adopted me as an uncle, so that's good enough for me. I get the joy of buying gifts and spending time with them but without the issues on both sides of the fence.

I feel the same, and made the decision at fifteen, when it became more than clear to me that women were just good for getting married, making babies and keeping house; a career has to play second fiddle no matter how accomplished you are.

I'd never had a maternal bone in my body. I don't want to pass it on, either; it ends with me. None of my nieces or nephews have it, thank goodness, although quirks such as a love for astronomy and books persist. :D (much to my brother's consternation).

I told someone I would never have a family (emphasis mine) and a year later I was pregnant. Accidentally. I never looked back.

Being a parent--all that parent-to-parent and parent-to-teacher stuff--that was painful beyond description. But the child? An angel, and now a fine young man. I hated being a parent, but I loved, and love, being his mother. I don't know how much sense that makes.

New Threads

Top Bottom