• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you advocate for yourself?

Think the first couple of minutes dealing with customers, l am already assessing,addressing if they are going into idiot land, or they are thieves. Given the dynamics of groups of people working together in tandom to hit retail, younger people can stress me out, because we had a huge group come in, and one broke something ,distraction, the bulk of them were cashing out, but there were two of them near high-price items, which l was watching, and l got them to leave by addressing the two directly.

Establishing boundaries is a good first step in standing up for yourself. for details on the subject, there are a number of books published. (Sorry, brain not entirely engaged on such a complicated subject). Umm.. Faith Harper is a good author for well, many things, it seems. Trying to remember what I read recently that I really liked about establishing boundaries. Hmmm.. it might've been in the book by Karen Anderson about difficult mother-daughter relationships. (the journal, not the other book.) Applies to all relationships really.

The other aspects of self-advocacy are many, and involve negotiation sometimes.

If you always agree to other people's demands, they will feel they have the right to 'walk all over you', and they will. Then they won't respect you. It does make it harder to get people to respect your rights and needs then. Nobody likes conflict, but it seems to be a part of the human condition.

Sorry I'm not more help. Maybe later.

New Threads

Top Bottom