• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do things like with caffine affect aspies.

Wolfnox

V.I.P Member
So i just wanted to know if any studies have been made on this. I believe that caffine and allergies do affect the condition. Though i have nothing more then personal experience to go on. Would like to find out if its true.

I think you're talking about things that are really relative to one's individual metabolism, regardless of their neurological profile.

In my own case I can only say that caffeine is not my friend. Something best avoided in large amounts that get me hooked where the withdrawal can be ugly. I love things like coffee and coke, but try not to drink a great deal of either to avoid getting hooked on caffeine.

As for allergies, I've had them my whole life. I know my NT brother would say the exact same thing. Though I'd say his allergies in growing up were more severe than mine.

I agree with @Judge, not sure really if things like allergies or caffeine are something that correlates? Isn't it down to genetics and predispositions?

I'm lucky enough not to have any allergies and can have caffeine at any time of day without effect on energy or sleep. Withdrawal still happens if I stop having it, but that's to be expected.

With the allergy part. I mean like sinus pressure and congestion. Seems to cause pressure in the brain. Forcing weird mood swings and a difficulty with clear thinking.

No known correlation I've ever come across.
Personally no amount of caffeine can keep me awake when I finally do get tired. Even now I drink about 10 teas/coffees in an average day, though of late I've switched to rooibos in the evenings instead of Earl Grey. No addiction either. I stopped caffeine altogether a few years back to see if it had any effect and after 3 months, no change. I also did the same as a teenager due to severe migraines, but caffeine isn't one of my triggers.

I've had tons of caffiene and have also gone without it for long periods. Without I felt smoother and not as energetic but either way has never changed how I felt autism-wise.

My allergy issues are almost exclusive to whatever immediate environment I'm in. Hay fever, aggravated by pollen, ragweed and dust all vary depending on where I am. In my apartment I have learned to keep the windows shut about 90% of the time. Even then, living in the desert it's impossible to keep the dust completely out year-round.

With air conditioning and a ceiling fan, keeping the air cool still comes at a price for me. Having to take small amounts of Loratidine every night. And constantly dusting inside my apartment.

I'm not sure if there is any correlation. My own experiences seem to be close enough to any other person I've ever talked to about these issues, most of them being outside the spectrum. I do have to say that allergies are annoying, especially when a simple allergy to tree pollen cuts out of your diet your favourite fruits because of similarity in proteins, and caffeine withdrawal sucks, but so can say many other people.

ADHD is a frequent co-morbid of ASD, and it does respond well to stimulants; but it's debatable whether caffeine is strong enough to make a difference. Typically the medical prescriptions like Adderall or Ritalin are much, much stronger than the caffeine doses in coffee, cola or tea. Of course, you can always use extreme amounts of caffeine since it is not regulated. It will definitely give you bad side effects if you do - stomach acidity and irregular heartbeats being two.

The only caffine I have now is in my daily cappucino. It really didn't affect me much but different strokes for different folks.

I average two to four cups of coffee per day

A coffee in the morning "definitely" helps me to wake up since I am not a morning person

I can also have a coffee in the evening and sleep just fine

I drink two cups of coffee a day, both around the same time I take Adderall. Before Adderall, I did as GadAbout mentioned and took caffeine capsules. :)

ADHD is a frequent co-morbid of ASD, and it does respond well to stimulants; but it's debatable whether caffeine is strong enough to make a difference. Typically the medical prescriptions like Adderall or Ritalin are much, much stronger than the caffeine doses in coffee, cola or tea. Of course, you can always use extreme amounts of caffeine since it is not regulated. It will definitely give you bad side effects if you do - stomach acidity and irregular heartbeats being two.
One can also use extreme amounts of Adderal which is of course methamphetamines put in a nice looking orange pill, given to one by a doctor, so that makes it okie dokie. About a million housewives...cleaned their houses every day (and night if you've got a clue as to what it does) Good old Methamphetamines. Gotta love em. And methamphetamines are "good" for children with ADHD because?

If you don't know what a Kamikaze is, not only should you not be prescribing methamphetamines. You should not take them yourself or give them to your children. There has got to be a better way. Meth kills. The end.

I've had problems with environmental allergies all my life.
Dust and mold in particular.
Caffiene does nothing one way or the other.
It doesn't wake me up, make me hyper nor keep me from sleeping.
I enjoy a large coffee around 10 pm most every night.
Tea through the day. Plus a lot of just plain cold water to stay hydrated.
Had to stop most caffiene after liver surgery for two years.
That was the only time it bothered me. My first coffee made me sick.
Gradually got back to drinking it just fine.
Never had withdrawel when I did have to stop.

Everyone seems to have a different reaction.

Affects me dreadfully. I get major palpulations, but I like coffee, so I have mine very weak and I mean: half a teaspoon, with honey and that is great for me. I get the taste of coffee without the side effects.

To be honest, energy drinks work better than coffee in 'wake-me-up' department... but then, they're trash and you should really avoid them.

Sometimes I drink yerba instead since it doesn't dehydrate you as much. I'm not the greatest fan, however, it's too bitter, even mixed with flowers and fruits, and somehow I always end up with leaves in my mouth.

Caffeine wakes me up in the morning, and helps me concentrate. Helps clear away brain fog.

Caffeine affects me differently depending on my mood and state of mind during consumption. If I'm angry and I start drinking alcohol, I will get more angry, or depressed (so now if I ever do drink I make sure I'm in the right mood to avoid hells like that).

Caffeine can make me irritable, especially if my o.c.d/tics are flaring up and I'm drinking tea. Yes just tea does me, I don't drink coffee anymore I just way more prefer tea. I often have about 4 - 6 cups a day, sometimes more which is a bit silly but I really enjoy tea, as long as i've got something to do or things to keep me distracted.

Like the above poster said it "helps clear away brain fog", I find it takes me a long time to wake up naturally without tea/caffeine, so it's usually the first thing I'm sipping in the morn.

It gives me motivation to do things as it releases dopamine or something and stuff.

And methamphetamines aren't so smart long-term. Well, some people seem to tolerate withdrawals better than others apparently, some get none... but I'd expect most would suffer some issues post-quitting. I used to do lots of amphetamines and you can tell they sure degrade your brain in ways, I gave myself some loooong comedowns playing with that stuff.

Stick to tea kids. Absorb them anti-oxidants and all the other healthy stuffs.

New Threads

Top Bottom