• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do I stay on track?

Omega

Every man must walk his own path
V.I.P Member
One of my biggest problems is staying focused. Things I should be doing or thinking seem to get shifted to the back because I fall into the grip of a thought that just won't let go. I know that this affects almost every aspect of my life but I don't seem to be able to do anything about it. Does anyone have any advice?

One of my biggest problems is staying focused. Things I should be doing or thinking seem to get shifted to the back because I fall into the grip of a thought that just won't let go. I know that this affects almost every aspect of my life but I don't seem to be able to do anything about it. Does anyone have any advice?

What have you tried so far?
(I am not making a joke or smart-ass response.)

Can you give an example of a thought that won't let go?
And how you have dealt with that, so far?

I am sorry for being incomplete but I am new to this. For example, I'll have something I need to do by 10am, what I need to do is inconsequential. I get up, make coffee, and try to catch a weather report. While waiting for the weather I'll hear a report and the thought digs in. Next thing I know its noon.

I have tried writing these things down on paper but it seems that when I pick up the pen the thought goes away until I put the pen down. Forcing the issue does not help. The best results I've had are with meditation, but not long after the thoughts come back.

Last edited:
I am sorry for being incomplete but I am new to this. For example, I'll have something I need to do by 10am, what I need to do is inconsequential. I get up, make coffee, and try to catch a weather report. While waiting for the weather I'll hear a report and the thought digs in. Next thing I know its noon.

Two ways I deal with that:
small inexpensive alarm clocks, battery operated
or recorded music that ends before the time I need to do...whatever it is I needed to do.

In the late 70s I was diagnosed as hyperactive and was treated with Ritalin. When I finally got away from that my trust in doctors was shot, but my son has been diagnosed with AS in 2000 and we act just alike

Your case sounds fairly severe. I have concentration problems, but I don't think the tricks I use would help you. It sounds like you aren't interested in a pharmaceutical fix, but getting plenty of Omega 3 fatty acids and B9 (folic acid) in your diet could help.

There's a prescribed "medical food" in pill form, branded as Deplin, that boosts the body's natural level of L-methylfolate. That's what folic acid breaks down to once fully metabolized. Unlike the folic acid in regular food or commonly prescribed synthetic folic acids, Deplin starts out as L-methylfolate, so it delivers it to the body faster and in higher concentrations. It's frequently prescribed for depression because it eases associated foggy-headedness and fatigue, but my own doctor also prescribes it for problems with concentration from ADD/ADHD. I use it from time to time. It does help sharpen me up.

Being one of those AD(H)D folks I know plenty about distractions.

I rarely work with lists, unless... unless I really have to prioritize. But in that case I'll pretty much direct my way to get those things done first. In other words; I'd not check the weather until I've done said task. I know that if I get online I'll end up with 35 tabs open in my browser... and none of them are about what I had to do in the first place.

For someone who apparently has an overactive mind I'm quite focused and manage to get things done fairly well. However, to some I might seem a bit obsessed and pre-occupied with finish things one at a time.

Perhaps it's an idea to just not put to many things in succession of each other. Get up and make coffee... and leave it at that. Maybe go over your list, which you prioritized the things you need to do. And have the discipline to actually keep at that list. Put "the weather report" on it... but be disciplined enough to just keep it at the weather report and not wander off.

New Threads

Top Bottom