• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

how do deal with my "normal complex?"

Personally, I'm drawn to people who are a bit different.
When I was a small child, I was aware that I was different, but I didn't become aware that if was a 'problem' intil I reached my teens and started to wonder why it was that I couldn't fit in, find friends easily. Then the masking started, followed by anxiety and depression.
Now I no longer feel the need to fit in, I'm perfectly ok to be "strangely strange but oddly normal."

Personally, I'm drawn to people who are a bit different.
When I was a small child, I was aware that I was different, but I didn't become aware that if was a 'problem' intil I reached my teens and started to wonder why it was that I couldn't fit in, find friends easily. Then the masking started, followed by anxiety and depression.
Now I no longer feel the need to fit in, I'm perfectly ok to be "strangely strange but oddly normal."

Isn't it funny how everything seems to change then? You hit your teens and it's like everyone learned this language you don't understand.

I had the same girlfriend for 3 years in high school, and I still feel I was pretty out of place. But, that's just being different, I guess.

Isn't it funny how everything seems to change then? You hit your teens and it's like everyone learned this language you don't understand.
Yes, this is true. I've noticed in one or two of the students I teach, that a couple of them have shown austistic traits to the extent that I thought they might be on the spectrum. Then they reach their teens, and they change, they seem to get a much more social brain. I feel that for me, this never happened; I'm stuck at 12 or 13 years old and all my social skills as an adult were reached through observing and trail and error, rather than an innate ability through having a 'social brain'. In other words, I learned to mask, but for them, it was natural/intuitive, not masking.

Masking is tough. But, our masks could be worse...

Halloween Michael Myers Mask

New Threads

Top Bottom