• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Holiday behavior???

Aspieistj

Is it OK if I cut my lawn on Memorial Day? I don't live on top of anyone because I am out in the country. However, two houses are close enough so that they would clearly hear the mower. If people are eating outside do you think NTs would find me rude for making noise? These same people shoot off fireworks on the 4th of July and terrify my dog. I live alone and will not be going out to visit anyone nor entertaining at my home. My neighbors are friendly but we don't invite each other to social gatherings.

Yes it is acceptable to mow your lawn provided you don't blow grass in their faces!

I generally would refrain from mowing the lawn if your neighbors had people outside on their lawn eating at that exact time. Otherwise, unless there's a law (or a parade), then I don't see any reason you can't mow your lawn during regular hours.

I would have to say that mowing the lawn while people are actually outside next door might be an issue.

When I was 10 (1954) we moved to a house on a street of all 50 by 100 foot lots. Houses were older and close to each other. My mother was really annoyed to learn that the neighbor to our right found it unacceptable for clothes to be on the line after 4 in the afternoon. My mother worked and dried the clothes whenever she had a chance and the weather permitted. The neighbor was British--maybe that mattered in those days over there. Otherwise, it was a neighborhood of people in the very lower middle class and being genteel wasn't high on the residents' priorities. Our house and yard were well kept and we were not noisy or otherwise rude. My problem now is that it is spring and I have 2 acres to keep mowed and trimmed. I worked outside today and will do so again tomorrow. On Memorial the lawn will need mowing and if the weather is nice I would love to take advantage of it. However, I like my neighbors and don't want to annoy them. Maybe someone else in the area will be mowing. I never entertain or go visiting so I am very odd in this neighborhood. I have told them I am an Aspie and live very much like a hermit. I don't know how much they understand AS. Hummmmm--if I don't mow, I wonder what on earth I will do? TV is always terrible on holidays because I never watch sports or parades.

I just realized it isn't really an issue any longer. We all live on land that was once a farm field for some farmer. Pieces of the old farms get sold occasionally and houses built. About 12 years ago a local Mennonite farmer moved here and bought an existing farm. Since then, any time he can afford to buy more land or get someone to rent him more, (he and I have an "agreement" that he grows hay on three of my five acres) he adds those fields. He works more hours than anyone else I know--often he is out before sunrise and frequently he is still on the land with his huge equipment until after midnight. He never works on Sunday and doesn't celebrate any of our national holidays. He is a nice man and greatly admired by the "English" folks around here. Mennonite kids attend their school only 150 days a year and are already out for the summer--their lives are all about work and church. Late last evening he arrived at a field right on top of all three of us in this cluster of houses. If he needs to plow or seed or whatever in this area on Monday, he WILL be out there. When I bought my 5 acres I was required to sign an agreement that I understood this is farm country and I have to accept the noise, sights and odors that are part of farming. Hey, we do need to eat and he has dairy cows and grows stuff for them as well as corn and soy beans for humans. So--if he is out making noise I guess I might as well run my garden tractor and mow if I wish. I HATE being an Aspie and never knowing all the damn NT rules I am not supposed to break!

The sound of lawn mowing and the smell of cut grass
are unofficial traditions here on the 3 high holy days of
the non-snow season. (Memorial Day, 4th of July, and
Labor Day.) Summer people come up & do their lawns.

Zoning where I live = Forest Residential.
A little farther down the road = Agricultural.
I have 5 acres, mostly trees.

Wild violets in yard; no grass to mow.

Basically yes it is OK. But best to be considerate of neighbors too. Since you don't know if they are having a outside meal or gathering I would do it between 10-12 am which is probably before any meal. But if you see them outside at that time wait till they aren't outside anymore.

Where I live, there's no etiquette for crappy pop music or country/bluegrass, so mowing the lawn is similarly unregulated/

Yeah, here's there's no etiquette for dogs shitting everywhere and nobody picking it up or kids playing in the streets unsupervised making cars turn around and find an alternate route, so I doubt anybody cares about when anybody would mow their grass either

I HATE being an Aspie and never knowing all the damn NT rules I am not supposed to break!
The thing that makes those rules more complicated is that they vary depending on where you live. As some of the posts here make clear. There's no NT rule (at least in most places) against mowing during most daylight hours. (But my Aspie ears hate it any time of day.

I didn't think about being offended or in pain from mowing.
I don't mind hearing other people mowing. They are so far
away and the mowing events are so infrequent that it doesn't
seem like a problem, to me.

I hear mowing during the summer possibly 6 times, at most.

New Threads

Top Bottom