• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi.

Captain Caveman

V.I.P Member
I am diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Dissorder. (None of your descriptions on the site match my diagnosis as the ones on this site are considered out of date, but I suppose the closest is either high functioning autism or asperges syndrome as I have a slightly higher than average IQ though in other ways I am further on the spectrum than I imagined the assessment results would be).
I thought I would try this site as someone suggested it. Thank you.

welcome_to_af.png

I am diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Dissorder. (None of your descriptions on the site match my diagnosis as the ones on this site are considered out of date, but I suppose the closest is either high functioning autism or asperges syndrome as I have a slightly higher than average IQ though in other ways I am further on the spectrum than I imagined the assessment results would be).

Just curious what you are referring to as out of date. In the USA Aspergers actually is no longer a diagnosis. But the term still used by many people. High Functioning Autism have never been a diagnosis and isn't a official medical technical term. It's just a descriptive term people use informally. Not sure where you are from but here it is currently all ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) and sub divided into ASD -1 thru 3.

"Doctors used to consider Asperger's and autism as separate conditions. But the 2013 edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5), the standard book that mental health experts use, changed how the condition is classified.

Today, Asperger's syndrome is technically no longer a diagnosis on its own. It's part of the broader category of autism spectrum disorder (ASD). This group of related disorders shares some symptoms. Even so, lots of people still use the term Asperger's."

I like your handle. All my life, I have considered civilization to be a thin veneer over the instincts that drove our evolution before agriculture.

Welcome! This is a friendly place.

Don't get stuck on semantics. It varies somewhat by country, but in most countries there is currently one and only diagnosis: autistic spectrum disorder (ASD) as defined by the DSM-5. The diagnosis has three levels, 1, 2, and 3 that are about the level of support needed. Intelligence is not part of the diagnosis criteria. Since 2013 in the US, ASD1 is the closer to Asperger's. Asperger's doesn't exist in the US but it's used in other countries. There were multiple reasons for the change, some that don't have anything to do with clinical considerations.

There is no official "high functioning autism" definition anywhere but it's used by some doctors in some countries, although the definition is vague.

A person with ASD can have a very high IQ but still needs a lot of support functioning in social situations. Many people, including myself, find the high functioning classification level misleading.

Hello all. Thank you for the welcome.

What I was referring to was that this sites mandatory options that one has to fill in does not give the modern diognostic terms as an option as it is out of date, so I just have to pick one that I assume might be close to it. I was diagnosed with the official term "Autism Spectrum Dissorder" though they refer to it as "Autism Spectrum Condition", neither were provided as an option to select when I just joined this site.

Grr! Had so many goes at trying to write this and either the keyboard vanishes off the screen and does not return or the site says "There is a problem" and has a "Refresh" or "Cancel" option so I click "Refresh" and all I type vanishes! So far it is a battle! :D

Last edited:
Hello all. Thank you for the welcome.

What I was referring to was that this sites mandatory options that one has to fill in does not give the modern diognostic terms as an option as it is out of date, so I just have to pick one that I assume might be close to it. I was diagnosed with the official term "Autism Spectrum Dissorder" though they refer to it as "Autism Spectrum Condition", neither were provided as an option to select when I just joined this site.

Grr! Had so many goes at trying to write this and either the keyboard vanishes off the screen and does not return or the site says "There is a problem" and has a "Refresh" or "Cancel" option so I click "Refresh" and all I type vanishes! So far it is a battle! :D
And just before I finally replied I clicked "Cancel" by mistake thinking it was the "Send" button! What am I doing? :D
Oh. I'm quoting myself now! :D I will get the hang of it I hope! :D

What I was referring to was that this sites mandatory options that one has to fill in does not give the modern diognostic terms as an option as it is out of date, so I just have to pick one that I assume might be close to it. (I was diagnosed with the official term "Autism Spectrum Dissorder" though they refer to it as "Autism Spectrum Condition", neither were provided as an option to select when I just joined this site.

Well part of the reason is that ASD(Autism Spectrum Disorder) is a umbrella lable to describe our overall neurodiversity. The labels of HFA(High Funtioning Autism), Classic Autism, Autism with Comorbidities, etc. Are all individual descriptors for the more specific varieties of Autism there are, under the umbrella of ASD.

Welcome btw~

Was trying to quote what Mark_101 said. I was not given a level 1 or 2 or 3 as I don't think they do that here so I don't have a clue what I am.

I do have a list of things like
(AQ- 10) =
(AQ) =
(EQ) =
(PHQ-9) =
(GAD7) =

I did not include my results. Just showed the letters in brackets of what the assessment covered. Did not say level 1, 2 or 3.

Well part of the reason is that ASD(Autism Spectrum Disorder) is a umbrella lable to describe our overall neurodiversity. The labels of HFA(High Funtioning Autism), Classic Autism, Autism with Comorbidities, etc. Are all individual descriptors for the more specific varieties of Autism there are, under the umbrella of ASD.

Welcome btw~

Thanks for the welcome. Is all classed as ASD today so one is not given any other area apart from the numerical results to what I listed above which I did not include for personal reasons except to say they were far more on the spectrum than I expected as I thought I would be just within the spectrum boundaries. Turn out I am way into the spectrum boundaries! Feels embarissing but it does explain a lot!

Was trying to quote what Mark_101 said. I was not given a level 1 or 2 or 3 as I don't think they do that here so I don't have a clue what I am.

I do have a list of things like
(AQ- 10) =
(AQ) =
(EQ) =
(PHQ-9) =
(GAD7) =

I did not include my results. Just showed the letters in brackets of what the assessment covered. Did not say level 1, 2 or 3.
Thanks for the welcome. Is all classed as ASD today so one is not given any other area apart from the numerical results to what I listed above which I did not include for personal reasons except to say they were far more on the spectrum than I expected as I thought I would be just within the spectrum boundaries. Turn out I am way into the spectrum boundaries! Feels embarissing but it does explain a lot!

Well it will be helpful if you at least state what level you are. To break it down though:

Level 1 Autism - You are able to function with minimal help for executive functioning and socail issues. Aspergers and High Functioning Autism fall into this category.

Level 2 Autism - You need moderate help due to moderate executive function issues and socail struggles. Most middle of the road Autistic descriptors fall here. Such as Autism with Comorbidities.

Level 3 Autism - You need constant help due to severe executive functioning and socail struggles. Classic Autism and other severe autistic descriptors fall under this category. Certain comorbidities can put you at this level, depending on what they are.

Well it will be helpful if you at least state what level you are. To break it down though:

Level 1 Autism - You are able to function with minimal help for executive functioning and socail issues. Aspergers and High Functioning Autism fall into

Level 1 Autism - You are able to function with minimal help for executive functioning and socail issues. Aspergers and High Functioning Autism fall into this category.

Level 2 Autism - You need moderate help due to moderate executive function issues and socail struggles. Most middle of the road Autistic descriptors fall here. Such as Autism with Comorbidities.

Level 3 Autism - You need constant help due to severe executive functioning and socail struggles. Classic Autism and other severe autistic descriptors fall under this category. Certain comorbidities can put you at this level, depending on what they are.

this category.

I think I am level 1 but in social things I can be level 2, though most of my working life has revolved around dealing with people relating to one hobby or the other. I tended to work in the areas of one of my hobbies. Think only one job I did was outside one of my two hobbies and that didn't deal so much with people.
Why I say level 2 is I don't find it so easy to make and keep friends. I think it is like my Mum says that I should talk to people and not at them! (How one does that is puzzling! Hard to tell the difference!)
I am however above average intelligence which hides a lot of things.. This is a blessing. But can put one in positions that people assume I know things which "Everybody knows!" but somehow I don't.

Last edited:
Hello, and Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends while here, and enjoy your stay here in the process!

New Threads

Top Bottom