• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi

Walking Oxymoron

*Sorry but I had to edit.

I am here now because I can finally see that I definitely have all the traits plus a few extra that I have no idea what they are. For instance, as a kid I had a severe fear that if I turned around and didn't turn back around then the whole world would change (people, places, and situations). This made getting into bed quite difficult as I'd have to get back up, turn around and then lay back down. I know it sounds crazy and I realized how irrational it was by the time I was 10, so I forced myself to stop doing it which wasn't easy. Then here years later, 2 weeks ago actually, I realized that I didn't actually stop it, it only changed form because I can't roll 360 in bed with out having to roll back! Only I never let myself wonder why until now and for all these years only thought about it in terms of contemplating what way would be most comfortable to move.

That might be too much information so I'll go ahead and end this introductory post. I'm not really sure if this is even the right place. But I guess its a good place to start.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process!

I too had seizures, however they mainly happened while i was in Utero and only once some time after I was born, and it caused some hemorrhaging in/around my brain which then turned into scar tissue, and I too have somewhat clumsy motor skills and have some learning disabilities as well (mainly more advanced math like Long division and often times regular division and fractions; never did learn about calculus or algebra despite lightly touching base on the latter on a single work sheet in Grade 11 or 12 when I was doing work in the Resource room).

Hi Walking Oxymoron :)

welcome to af.png

I also as a kid had seizures, strange behaviors, an abnormal EEG reading, high IQ scores and gifted classes, all resulting in social isolation which resulted in social retardation by time I started working when I was seventeen, with alcohol being the first way I learned to socialize, also on a superficial level! So much in common! And now we're both here!

Mind.
Blown.

I am here now because I can finally see that I definitely have all the traits plus a few extra that I have no idea what they are. For instance, as a kid I had a severe fear that if I turned around and didn't turn back around then the whole world would change (people, places, and situations). This made getting into bed quite difficult as I'd have to get back up, turn around and then lay back down. I know it sounds crazy and I realized how irrational it was by the time I was 10, so I forced myself to stop doing it which wasn't easy. Then here 30+ years later, 2 weeks ago actually, I realized that I didn't actually stop it, it only changed form because I can't roll 360 in bed with out having to roll back!
Hello, and welcome! This sounds like it could be a symptom of OCD.

Hi - love the screen name you've chosen.

Sounds like you've a difficult time of it but you're coming to some realisations that might help you make sense of things. It may be very helpful to you to seek diagnosis - for peace of mind/closure if nothing else.
As @Progster said above - the habit of turning around you have did bring OCD to mind immediately so may be worth investigating too.

Welcome to the Forum. I hope you find a lot of people here to talk to :)

Hi everyone and thanks for the welcome.

Isadoorian: "I too had seizures, however they mainly happened while i was in Utero and only once some time after I was born, and it caused some hemorrhaging in/around my brain which then turned into scar tissue, and I too have somewhat clumsy motor skills and have some learning disabilities as well."

Hi Isadoorian. It's really nice to find people who I have something in common with. I'm curious if or how you endeavored to improve motor skills.

Fino: "I also as a kid had seizures, strange behaviors, an abnormal EEG reading, high IQ scores and gifted classes, all resulting in social isolation which resulted in social retardation by time I started working when I was seventeen, with alcohol being the first way I learned to socialize, also on a superficial level! So much in common! And now we're both here!

Mind.
Blown."

Wow, Fino! I'm entirely amazed that I'm not the only one! I wasn't really expecting someone to have such similar experiences. This is awesome.

Autistamatic: "As @Progster said above - the habit of turning around you have did bring OCD to mind immediately so may be worth investigating too."

That is interesting. I haven't considered that.

Last edited:
Welcome! I don’t like turning around or rolling over either. It makes me feel uneven. It’s an OCD thing for me.

Hi Isadoorian. It's really nice to find people who I have something in common with. I'm curious if or how you endeavored to improve motor skills. As for myself, my coordination improved drastically as I learned to play various musical instruments and draw/paint. However, I still sometimes have to wrestle with my fingers to get them to do something they aren't accustomed to doing. What's odd is that after a couple decades of practicing music I still get twitchy and hit a wrong note or seven and can't make it through an entire song without having to improv around my error and sometimes still can't cover it up. Its kind of frustrating sometimes. Also, I couldn't tie my shoes in a bow until I was out high school (I used to just tie a knot and cut the laces short) and even now I can only do it using two bows instead of one.

My coordination just improved over time when in school; though when I was much much younger, I was accidentally given a bit too much medicine and it paralyzed me, though only temporarily and I went to Physiotherapy.... prior to that I was Ambidexterous and after I was trained on my left side for so long that I became a lefty afterwards

Hi Walking Oxymoron,

Welcome to the forums! I enjoyed reading your introduction. I always did the spinning thing as well. If I spun around 4 times clockwise, I would spin around 4 times counterclockwise to counteract it, or I felt the world would change like you mentioned, that I'd be in some other reality or something along those lines.

There's some interesting things you mentioned on your EEG. I'm just confused how they came up with the idea that you got brain damage in the frontal lobe before birth. I really want to understand the reasoning behind that. There's some studies out there mentioning that people with ASD have enlarged gyrification in the frontal lobe, but the frontal lobe isn't associated with motor skills (which is why I'm really confused). Most people with Autism experience motor skill impairment, likely due to the large relation with ASD and the cerebellum.

But all my curiosity diverted from the purpose of this thread. I really do hope you enjoy this forum, and that it helps you understanding your ASD and how it affects your life. :)

WittyAspie: "I don’t like turning around or rolling over either. It makes me feel uneven. It’s an OCD thing for me."

TPG: "I always did the spinning thing as well. If I spun around 4 times clockwise, I would spin around 4 times counterclockwise to counteract it, or I felt the world would change like you mentioned, that I'd be in some other reality or something along those lines."

Hi WittyAspie and TPG. Its beginning to seem like the turning around thing isn't so terribly uncommon. I find it curious how different people such as ourselves can arrive at the same or similar unusual idea independently.

Isadoorian: "My coordination just improved over time when in school; though when I was much much younger, I was accidentally given a bit too much medicine and it paralyzed me, though only temporarily and I went to Physiotherapy.... prior to that I was Ambidexterous and after I was trained on my left side for so long that I became a lefty afterwards"

Its interesting that it improved on its own. My coordination didn't improve at all until I began to work on precise control of my fingers. Then the ability seemed to naturally extend to my limbs but to a lesser degree.

TPG: "There's some interesting things you mentioned on your EEG. I'm just confused how they came up with the idea that you got brain damage in the frontal lobe before birth. I really want to understand the reasoning behind that. There's some studies out there mentioning that people with ASD have enlarged gyrification in the frontal lobe, but the frontal lobe isn't associated with motor skills (which is why I'm really confused). Most people with Autism experience motor skill impairment, likely due to the large relation with ASD and the cerebellum".

I had to look that up just now because I don't know anything about it other than what I had been told back then. I have actually refused to even consider the topic until this last week. To be honest, I don't have enough knowledge to really know what to think of it.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom