• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi

Cinnamon115

Hi everybody. Ummm... I don't know where to begin. I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was in second grade and Asperger's sometime after that. I've been taking medication for my ADHD since I was 9, and I'm currently in my first year of college, it's been stressful so far. I like to sew, play video games, and read. The main reason I came to this website was to find other people like me, and also hear some happy things. I've noticed that the world in general likes to focus only on the sad things, not the good. Like how news places only report depressing news. So I'm hoping that here I will be able to here people talk about the positive, good things in their lives. There has to be some good left in the world, right? Oh, and I'm also a girl.

Hi Cinnamon,
There is happiness everywhere and good in everything, we just don't always see it. There is also little money to be made when we are all content.
Be the happiness you want to see in the world. Smile at everyone, do random kind things or just do random things. You will begin to see differently.
Also staying away from the TV and the radio helps.
Good Luck

Happiness is a warm puppy. But many puppies is Madness... Aaaaahhhhahaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

But welcome!

Thanks everyone! Something else I'm hoping to find here is some advice. I'm having a stressful time at college this semester, it's very hard keeping up with the 6-7 papers I have to write each week. It's gotten to the point where I can't do the things I enjoy. I can't sew without getting a lot of pain in my hands and wrists, for example, because my hands are so sore from typing all the time. Does anyone have some advice?

Welcome to AC.
If your hands get sore typing, check your sitting position. Elbow should be 90 degrees or more, and wrist should be straight. For more info, google ergonomic computer setup.
You might also like to try out a small free application called Workrave which may help - though you will probably find the default break reminders occur so often its irritating. But you are young to be getting OOS/RSI, so good to deal with it now!

Thanks everyone! Something else I'm hoping to find here is some advice. I'm having a stressful time at college this semester, it's very hard keeping up with the 6-7 papers I have to write each week. It's gotten to the point where I can't do the things I enjoy. I can't sew without getting a lot of pain in my hands and wrists, for example, because my hands are so sore from typing all the time. Does anyone have some advice?

Yes... stop typing and sewing immediately and see a doctor if it's really bad. See if your school can accommodate you if you get a note from a doctor that says you can't type. Maybe the school has a disabilities department that can help you find alternate ways to write papers until your hands heal.

If you ever feel any pain or numbness, stop using your hands immediately. If you keep pushing then to hard, the injuries can become permanent.

I have this problem. I was a musician and can no longer play. I can't work a a programmer either, though I'm now learning how to code by voice. This has led to other health problems and severely affected my ability to earn income.

Try the program mentioned: Dragon Naturally Speaking. If you can't get that, Windows has built in speech recognition. Also, go see a doctor for advice if possible, because the problem can become very serious if you keep working when you feel pain or numbness.

No one told me how serious the problem can be, so I didn't stop, and now it's probably permanent for me. If you catch it early, your hands can heal completely. Feel free to send me a message if you have questions about it.

Welcome
This is REALLY POSITIVE site. Everyone seems to want to help each other. I have not detected any anger or criticism since I have been here. only positive support. I am sure you will find it a good place to visit.
Re typing issue -Can you really get your thoughts in order before you type so that you only type what has to be typed ie don't ramble on and then edit it all - get it right in your head first and then only type what it is you want to say. A bit simplistic I know. The ergonomics may help too. Sewing can be hard on the hands too so maybe look at how you are doing that and the ergonomics around sewing
Cheers
julia

Hi everybody. Ummm... I don't know where to begin. I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was in second grade and Asperger's sometime after that. I've been taking medication for my ADHD since I was 9, and I'm currently in my first year of college, it's been stressful so far. I like to sew, play video games, and read. The main reason I came to this website was to find other people like me, and also hear some happy things. I've noticed that the world in general likes to focus only on the sad things, not the good. Like how news places only report depressing news. So I'm hoping that here I will be able to here people talk about the positive, good things in their lives. There has to be some good left in the world, right? Oh, and I'm also a girl.

Hi! I am new to this group, too. I also am ADHD. Back when I was a kid and where I lived there was no or very little knowledge about girls and ADHD and I think no information on Aspergers and what it looked like or even what it was. I think I was just seen as a very emotional and confused kid that cried a lot in most situations. Other kids looked at me as being well different. It got worse as I got older. I did persevered and made it through college and got a degree. I worked in my chosen field for a while until it got to much to handle.

Welcome aboard, I hope you enjoy the community here :)
Best wishes

image.jpg

Oi, college did a number on me back in the day. I wish I had some good advice for you. But welcome. I hope you find your stay helpful.

New Threads

Top Bottom