• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi there

Normie999

I don't have Asperger's, and am not autistic, but I have people in my life who are. I had "lurked" on this site a while back, and today I got an email from this Forum, so I decided to come back on and sign up for the discussions.

My main reason for originally checking out this site was, probably like for many other "normies", to try to understand the Aspie people in my life. "Not taking things personally" has sometimes been very hard for me, especially since the Aspies have been in my life for a number of years, so we have history together. This makes it harder to stay objective when their Aspie quirks get in the way of what I consider comfortable relating.

On the other hand, I'm quite quirky myself in a lot of ways, so I appreciate the "differentness" that many Aspies exhibit. It gives me the latitude to not have to fit into any molds myself.

On a more emotional level, though, I am not a "distant" person once I know someone; the lack of both the continuity and the gradual closeness that people usually experience over a period of years are the biggest problem areas I have with the Aspies in my life. I sometimes feel with the Aspies that we are just "beginning" to know each other, although there would have already been a close familiarity with others who are not Aspies given the same longevity of acquaintanceship, time-wise.

It is a cold, alienating feeling, that feels like a rejection of me personally. I am also someone who places high value on bonding, closeness, personal attention and attentiveness to others, so, some of the "typical" characteristics of autistic behavior are the antithesis of what I would seek in my relationships.

Since the people in my life are not ones I can easily walk away from, for a number of reasons, I am left with trying to intellectually develop an objective view of Aspergers and autism. Over the past few years, I have learned a lot through research, so I understand some of the basic clinical descriptions of these conditions. I just thought that it would help me emotionally to connect with people, like yourselves, who are willing to put yourselves "out there" to the world.

Thanks, and see you soon!

Welcome :)

Haha, 'normie' is a new one. We usually say neurotypical, or NT for short. Feel free to ask questions, and share more experiences; everyone's quite friendly and helpful here.

Hi Normie and welcome,
As an NT, my wife can relate to the feelings you talk about. To feel what I feel for her, and be unable to express it, in a way she needs, is heart breaking. We communicate a little better these days but there is no doubt it has taken its toll on both of us.
Cheers
Turk

New Threads

Top Bottom