• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi, I'm One of Those Crazy Old Cat Ladies

TempeFan

Wow! Most forums related to a medical condition that I have sampled are just a bunch of people soliciting pity, ranting and raving and moaning and complaining about how much their diagnosis sucks. This one has honest thoughts and intelligent insights, with people asking meaningful questions and coming up with practical answers. I don't have much time for conversating online as the internet is intermittant at best out here in the middle of nowhere and I'm not yet sure that the forum life is the life for me but I think this is a good one.

Hi, I'm one of those crazy old cat ladies who smiles at the T-shirt that says, "The more I see of people, the more I love my cats!" (or dog or bird or ferret or snake or spouse, etc.) About 98% of the people who have crossed my path over the last half a century have lied, cheated , stole, maimed and/or darn near killed me. The other 2% made it all worthwhile. I'd really like to meet more of those 2 percenters. I've done some amazing things over the years, met some memorable people, learned some valuable lessons, found some fun and survived a lot of pain - all in a way that was not normal. Now that some guy whose name began Dr. and ended -M.D. has written Asperger's Syndrome on my medical chart, my past is all starting to make sense to me - kinda. Some people have 30, 40, 50 years of experience and some have one year of experience 20, 30, 40 times over. I'm the first one. Now I am trying to figure out what to do with it all.

Wow! Most forums related to a medical condition that I have sampled are just a bunch of people soliciting pity, ranting and raving and moaning and complaining about how much their diagnosis sucks. This one has honest thoughts and intelligent insights, with people asking meaningful questions and coming up with practical answers.

I think the main reason we are different here is because Asperger's Syndrome is not a sickness or a medical condition. It's just a different way are minds are wired. Granted, it does wreak utter havoc in social interaction. but other then that. It's not really a problem from a medical standpoint.

I think most on here have pride in who they are and have struggles but no complaints about the autism/aspergers itself - it's mostly dealing with others, as you said you do. I'm still learning and this is a great place for feedback. And the diagnosis does seem to be a blessing in finally understanding why and who we are.

Hi TempeFan

welcome to af.png

Wow! Most forums related to a medical condition that I have sampled are just a bunch of people soliciting pity, ranting and raving and moaning and complaining about how much their diagnosis sucks. This one has honest thoughts and intelligent insights, with people asking meaningful questions and coming up with practical answers. I don't have much time for conversating online as the internet is intermittant at best out here in the middle of nowhere and I'm not yet sure that the forum life is the life for me but I think this is a good one.

Hi, I'm one of those crazy old cat ladies who smiles at the T-shirt that says, "The more I see of people, the more I love my cats!" (or dog or bird or ferret or snake or spouse, etc.) About 98% of the people who have crossed my path over the last half a century have lied, cheated , stole, maimed and/or darn near killed me. The other 2% made it all worthwhile. I'd really like to meet more of those 2 percenters. I've done some amazing things over the years, met some memorable people, learned some valuable lessons, found some fun and survived a lot of pain - all in a way that was not normal. Now that some guy whose name began Dr. and ended -M.D. has written Asperger's Syndrome on my medical chart, my past is all starting to make sense to me - kinda. Some people have 30, 40, 50 years of experience and some have one year of experience 20, 30, 40 times over. I'm the first one. Now I am trying to figure out what to do with it all.
Crazy cat dude here! Love it!

I think the main reason we are different here is because Asperger's Syndrome is not a sickness or a medical condition. It's just a different way are minds are wired. Granted, it does wreak utter havoc in social interaction. but other then that. It's not really a problem from a medical standpoint.
My understanding of Autism Spectrum Disorder is that it is primarily a neurological condition and is a medical condition but it is not really treatable or curable. Instead, we have to find ways of adapting to it and working around it? I love the Marine Corps expression: adapt, improvise, and overcome. This has been the story of my life.

You can’t fool me, I see a fourth kitty hidden under the covers! You have proven to be a true cat lady!

Welcome! I’m an aspiring crazy cat lady. I just have two cats and no other pets, but I do have plans to move into the country (and eat a lot peaches) in a few years, so I can add some more animals to my collection ;)

226B2158-21DA-439C-9D95-A12594C8033A.jpeg

Last edited:
My understanding of Autism Spectrum Disorder is that it is primarily a neurological condition and is a medical condition but it is not really treatable or curable.

My understanding is that we are not sick or injured, just different. It's a disability because if you have it, you are not able to do what the majority of people can do. Being minus a leg prevents one from walking without a prosthesis. Asperger's doesn't prevent the sufferer from doing anything. Other people do, by limiting who is allowed to participate in social activities and in the workplace. Like Rudolf the Reindeer with the red nose. "All of the other reindeer used to laugh and call him names. They never let poor Rudolf join in............" He has a special ability to light the way but was shunned until someone realized he could be used as a lightbulb.

Are we deficient because we are born with out the lie chromosome or the hate gene or are the others missing some brain bits where reasoning, tolerance and common sense should be? It's society that is infected with a terrible disease that desperately needs a cure.

Thanks for all your portraits of your feline and faux feline family members. You made me say "AAAAWWW!" I do so love cute cuddly animals. All 4 of my siblings were all labradors and I do miss my pony. I have plans to go horseback riding again someday.

You can’t fool me, I see a fourth kitty hidden under the covers! You have proven to be a true cat lady!

Actually, that 4th lump is my extra foot warmer. It gets cold up here in the mountains when the kitties are off on their nocturnal forays.

I love tuxedo cats, too, and have a big, fat, lazy old one named Domino. She is limping right now after she got into a fight last night with my other cat, Snuffles. They are insanely jealous of each other.

New Threads

Top Bottom