• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi I'm new

I can annoy everyone in the room by playing chess. I brood a great deal. There is a grid i know. Numbers and letters as i recall i have a board. Would you like a chess game? I can do it. Today i can do
Anything
(Except laundry, dishes, cleaning, yardwork, car repair, .....

Of course not, nobody wants to do laundry
Chess would be fun but i'm on European time, so it's getting late here :sleeping:

There are those out there, who claim those here, came from far away.
Those people like doing laundry

Last edited:
It's strange how many professionals believe you can not be on the spectrum if you have empathy.

Hello, so I'm not even sure about my self-diagnosis but have been wondering about autism for years. I had a therapist (supposedly good) tell me, "Oh no, lol, if you were autistic you'd have zero empathy". I now realize that this was not quite accurate. Anyway, I might have a few traits.

Among things I've heard a million times: "You're way too literal", "You're so black and white" - also I have this idea that in a previous life I probably was a machine in a factory, and/or a bloodhound. All I do is observe, investigate, and seek to establish patterns - that's the only way I know how to think. And well, it works. I feel like a car going full speed and having to pull the breaks sometimes to look at something more closely - even when I let go, it's part of a pattern I've designed. I have zero imagination for "complete fiction" but can re-arrange reality in a million ways. I do have empathy, prolonged eye contact leaves me exhausted, confused and generally ashamed. And well, there's more, but hey. We'll see .
Anyway, hi, and looking forward to meeting you guys.
Self-diagnosis is still valid! I think it's great that you're looking inwards and willing to contemplate your autism. Self-acceptance of the fact is the first and most enlightening--and freeing--step. Your therapist was outright wrong to say that to you.

Hello, so I'm not even sure about my self-diagnosis but have been wondering about autism for years. I had a therapist (supposedly good) tell me, "Oh no, lol, if you were autistic you'd have zero empathy". I now realize that this was not quite accurate. Anyway, I might have a few traits.
It sounds to me like that therapist didn't understand Autism and just relied stereotypes they heard.

There are unofficial self-diagnostic tests you can take (The Autism Spectrum Quotient test is one). But if you feel like you belong here, you probably belong. I think this site offers a lot of good resources and discussions regardless of whether you're officially diagnosed or not.

Welcome, @sasha_whos_there. I hope you find this forum as welcoming and helpful as I have.

There are unofficial self-diagnostic tests you can take (The Autism Spectrum Quotient test is one).
Thanks! I just tried this one and the result was on the lower end (37, 33-50 being the range). Not sure what that means exactly but not surprised.
Self-acceptance of the fact is the first and most enlightening--and freeing--step.
Definitely agree. I've only started taking this seriously for a few days (somehow it kind of "hit" me) and I actually feel happier :grinning: though it hasn't really computed yet. I suppose i'm not supposed to feel happier, since autism is supposed to be a problem - but I've carried this my whole life, with people telling me I had to work at becoming different, and I can't.
In addition, I'm kind of happy with the whole "looking for patterns" thing, and even with the being "too literal, too black/white" business - there's actually something fun about that. But maybe I'm crazy?

I agree that it's sad how therapists with a great reputation can so self-assuredly invalidate a patient. I don't know if that's laziness or an inability to accept that they might have things to learn...

welcome to af.png

Thanks! I just tried this one and the result was on the lower end (37, 33-50 being the range). Not sure what that means exactly but not surprised.

Definitely agree. I've only started taking this seriously for a few days (somehow it kind of "hit" me) and I actually feel happier :grinning: though it hasn't really computed yet. I suppose i'm not supposed to feel happier, since autism is supposed to be a problem - but I've carried this my whole life, with people telling me I had to work at becoming different, and I can't.
In addition, I'm kind of happy with the whole "looking for patterns" thing, and even with the being "too literal, too black/white" business - there's actually something fun about that. But maybe I'm crazy?

I agree that it's sad how therapists with a great reputation can so self-assuredly invalidate a patient. I don't know if that's laziness or an inability to accept that they might have things to learn...
I too feel happier now that I know that I have the autism. I remember when I got my results I was sad because I was thinking of all the ways my life could've been better, had I know when I was younger, but...

I feel on the part of your therapist, it's a bit lazy paired with inability. it's really really awful how autism just sometimes isn't taken so seriously by professionals at times.

New Threads

Top Bottom