• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi - I'm Chris

long_term_sufferer

Hi everyone, I am Chris, based in the UK. Afer taking the online test, I have confirmed what I already knew, I suffer with Aspergers.
Why have I joined here? To gain more insight into my condition from fellow sufferers, and to seek guidance as to how to live with this. I am 42 years old, and have know I was "different" from a very early age. I have the typical traits of a Aspie sufferer in that I have obsessions, emotional intolerances, and various others which I will not go into right now.

Aspergers is currently destroying my life and I have no handle on it, and need some form of guidance, advice etc to learn how to deal with it, because its totally in control of my life like a parasitical disease which I cannot shake. It has cost me jobs, numerous relationships and I am very down now to the point I am depressed about my whole life. I see no future, I see no way out.

We're very happy to have you here, Chris, and hope that we will all be able to help you in some way. Let me start to assist you by saying that Asperger's doesn't always have to be full of suffering. You are different, that is all, but other people can rarely handle different, just like it's often hard for us to handle them. That's the only stupid reason why Asperger's too often becomes a burden. You just need to find the place where you'd be accepted, understood and appreciated for your talents.

Hope that wasn't too sappy - anyway, welcome.

Hi Chris,

Welcome to AC!

From what you describe it has a severe impact on your life, which clearly isn't good. Have you considered talking to therapists about your issues? As far as I know people in the UK aren't as screwed over with healthcare as some other countries.

Hope you can get some advice and help on this forum as well.

Hi Chris welcome to AC! First of all AS doesn't have to control you're life there are ways to cope and be strong and be productive. I think that King_Oni has a good point and that is getting in to see a therapist who can work with you on coping skills but choose someone who knows about Autism and Aspergers. Welcome to AC! I hope you love it here too.

Hi, many thanks for all the warm welcomes and words of encouragement. That means a lot to me as I have been alienated due to AS. I was looking into Cognitive Behavioral Therapy but not sure if its the right way to go. During my life, I have just bumbled my way through it, never telling anyone of my AS or indeed, how it affects me. I really need help before this destroys me. Its cost me numerous jobs because of my attention span, and when things go wrong, I just walk away.

Hi Chris, welcome to AC :) Have you considered going for a formal diagnosis? It may open up a few paths to support (depending on what area you live in). I'd recommend getting in touch with the national autistic society(Tel; 0808 800 4104) who can help you find assessment centres, support /aspie social groups etc. In the meantime feel free to share your problems here and ask us for advice on things as I'm sure between all of us we can offer you some sound advice and understand where you're coming from.

New Threads

Top Bottom