• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi from Manchester

Katrina 15

Hello i’m Kat, i’m 57 years old and have recently realised that i am autistic and always have been, an absolute lightbulb moment! I feel quite lost and lonely with the realisation so i am sure a group like this will be beneficial to me.

Warm welcome Kat. I do hope you will feel as welcome & at home as i have since the first day i came in here.

And Kat nothing has changed dear the only thing that have changed is you now have a potential answer to why you have /had certain problems in life.

Thank you and to be honest i do feel relief that i am not a horrible person as i have always thought! So much now makes sense, just wish i had known earlier in my life

welcome to af.png

Welcome Kat, I think you will quickly discover that you are not alone, if you poke about and explore.

Be at ease for you will not be judged.

Hi and welcome! I know Manchester well. (UK). You aren't alone now that you are here, for sure. Tons of us in the same boat. I'm similar to you maybe as one of the undiagnosed, now 64 and self diagnosed after plenty research. Think women were even more likely to go under the radar, and still are. But although it is quite defining in some ways, I also think of my experience of high autistic traits or Aspergers/ASD1 as you might think of say, getting news of having dyslexia late in life. It doesn't define me. Yet is such a useful key.

Like dyslexia, it was always there. As an academic, I have seen so many people who come to higher degree training later in life, when they know from their expertise at work that they really are not somehow "thick" like they were told or assummed at school in the 60s 70s 80s, and they have had or get a dyslexia assessment and finally understand they really never were 'unacademic', there's an explanation and they can have help if needed, while many also have some strategies by then, without even having known why they needed them. One lady told me she just always works twice as long and hard. What a star.

Like them, we who were missed in earlier times, who perhaps continue to be missed for diagnosis or help, still can have strategies, and actually finding out what the issue is, and how we can best strategise around our experience, is so helpful I think. ASD1 comes with a mix, many do feel they have some talents or abilities that balance the often difficult areas, of which social relating is often a very significant area that hampers many of us some extent. There's strategies and ideas we can learn and try.

Best wishes on your journey!

:hatchingchick::hatchedchick::herb::hatchingchick::hatchedchick::herb::hatchingchick::hatchedchick::herb:

Hi Kat, welcome! :)
Hope you enjoy it here! And has others have said, you’re definitely not alone :)
- Luca

Welcome. Many of my most favorite bands hail from Manchester! And you're at the age where you could have seen greats play live (Joy Division, New Order, Smiths).

Hello and welcome!

I'm a late in life diagnosed. Officially found out in my mid fifties.
Sixty-four now.
Learned a lot right here on the forum. Great place to be a part of. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom