• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Help

Amee

I got my diagnosis 9 months ago and I know quite little about what help there is. I am currently in the progress of switching schools, to a school with classes specifically for people with asperger's, and tomorrow I have a meeting with them to discuss what I need etc, but I don't know what to tell them, and I don't know what I can ask of them?

I suppose I couldn't have hurt to talk to a psychologist who diagnosed you to ask what exactly the difficulties are for you based on his/her expertise.

As I've found; my own vision on what my struggles are might not reflect what society or school would expect from me. Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to bring your diagnosis and all the documents you have around.

Usually when I'm posed with the question along the lines of "what do you need?" I counter them by asking "what do you offer?" which kinda helps mapping out the possibilities a bit better (so I don't go asking things they can't offer).

A brainstorm of things that may or may not, depending on your individual needs, be beneficial.

-Clear written, instructions about what is expected of your regarding home work, including when, where, and what form it is to be handed in.
- If you have lectures, a dictaphone to record them or someone to take notes and type them up for you.
- A quiet place/area that you have access to should you need it.
- they may be able to make adjustments to accomadate sensory issues such as light and noise sensitivity.
- Being informed of any changes to the expected class schedule

You could ask them to help in any way that you think would be beneficial, they can always say no if it's not possible or work on finding an alternative.

Are there any steps you taken in you home environment to help with sensory issues or any other issues? If yes, telling the school about them at the meeting could help them identity areas that they could help you with.

When I was at Uni, students with dyslexia were given laptops to assist them and one to one sessions with a teacher to help with writing dissertations.

Heartfelt congratulations on going forth with classes suited to your needs. As they offer classes for those with ASD, they may ask you specifically if you need each of the various services which they can provide. You can then consider if perhaps each accommodation suggested might help you.

Good for you for furthering your education! May you soon find yourself in a wonderfully positive learning environment.

Hi,
I don't have any concrete suggestions, except for you remember its always a process, and this the first meeting. Its more their job to figure out what's needed (they are the 'experts') and you just to tell them in plain words your concerns. Hope the meeting is productive.

I would also join a club that you find interesting. People with Aspergers usually thrive in academic environments. But then fail to have a career outside a university. Teachers and parents focus on getting NT students to focus on Academics but for Aspies learning to talk to other people is as Important as a 4.0 GPA.

Vinca definitely nailed it here. Every one of her suggestions is spot-on and it would be helpful to bring in that list to your meeting. So glad you were able to find a program suitable to your Aspie needs!

wyv

I hate to quarrel with anyone but Vinca has a presumption that school counselors will be competent. Amee, you might have to navigate this whole thing without the benefit of competent bureaucracy.

In my experience, getting into the best class was pretty much all up to you.

You shouldn't feel as though you need to know exactly what you need at the first meeting. Since you'll have classes with other aspies, you could see what their suggestions are. They will probably be the most helpful of anyone there. Take it one day at a time, see what works for you, and make adjustments as you go.

New Threads

Top Bottom