• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello there!

mothgirl12

Hi. My name is Nico and I am 19 and female. I was diagnosed with ASD this past spring and have been looking into new resources since. It took me 18 years to even consider a neurodevelopmental condition of any kind, having always been considered a mental illness case, so it was a big relief to get my diagnosis and I definitely see a lot of things in a new light. My skills are all over the place and while I "highly gifted" in some testing categories I'm impaired and "below average" in others. So while I do consider autism a disability I also feel like it helped give me a lot of my strengths.

I love to read and I like YA novels and classics a bit too much. I hope to major in classics so I am trying to start learning Latin/familiarize myself a bit with Greek. I like writing too, but I wish I was as good at writing fiction as essays lol. I'm also a fan of chess, biology, history, and video games. I love talking to people especially online because I only talk to about 3 people regularly in real life.

Hi and welcome, yes I think that varying profile is fairly typical of Aspergers /ASD1. Is that Plato on your avatar?

I love to read, all sorts really, nonfiction mainly history, also I like YA series sometimes, and crime, and classics.
I'm quite interested in Stoic philosophy, only looked at it recently, it seems to be having a revival.

I hope you enjoy it here and find it useful and supportive.

:blossom::bee::seedling::herb::beetle::sunflower::ant::mapleleaf:

Hello Nico,

How we look at things matters a lot. Every human is a creative force. Autism does make doing some things very hard or not possible. However it is best to see it as a gift.

These "highly gifted" aspects of you want to appreciate what allows them to happen. It is best for you to Think in terms of energetic balance. When nature wants to evolve something it does so by enhancing an ability. That often requires that a lesser skill no longer functions as it previously did.

Linear thinking in our society is the norm. How fast you can think in linear ways is considered good. Those on the autistic spectrum think differently. They have enhanced multi-dimensional thought patterns. They have creative thought patterns more so than those who are strictly linear thinkers.

I say these things to you because the body is always listening to your self assessments. A good outlook on life will bring you many blessings. To foster this outlook it is best to use thoughts and terms in your reflective process which promote well being. There are books like "The biology of belief" and "Law of Attraction" which describe what I am talking about better than this short comment.

That is essentially why I encourage positive terms for word selections because it truly matters.

John

Welcome to the Forum Nico,

Having grown up in the same era as John, he is right about not looking at it as a disability. It is only one if you make it so.

I like to look at HFA as the next step in evolution, for it does seem to have genetic factors even though no one has discovered satisfactory explanations for that yet. I think that this neurological variant has a purpose, but the code hasn't gotten it quite right yet.

You seem passionate and have enough focus to make yourself a comfortable life. Find something you are truly excellent at; one that causes the least stress and provides you the most fun. That is the secret to a long life that has moments so pure and wonderful that they will stay with you forever.

I might seem like an optimist, but I am just expressing my view from a life lived.

Be well.

Very much welcome Nico.

I echo similar to yourself, accept I am quite a bit older, sadly, and was formally diagnosed a few year's ago.

Indeed, as you said: gifted in some areas and below avarage in others, but since my diagnosis, I am feeling a bit better in myself and have taken on a sort of sense of humour regarding my difficulites.

I have a much better control of obsessions now and in fact, a lot of my obsession are most beneficial for me.

Welcome.

Lots of wise advise above. I find there are cycles where I challenge myself with various adventures, & others in which I may feel bewilderment & need to retreat.

“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,
there is a field. I’ll meet you there.”
— Rumi

Hi. My name is Nico and I am 19 and female. I was diagnosed with ASD this past spring and have been looking into new resources since. It took me 18 years to even consider a neurodevelopmental condition of any kind, having always been considered a mental illness case, so it was a big relief to get my diagnosis and I definitely see a lot of things in a new light. My skills are all over the place and while I "highly gifted" in some testing categories I'm impaired and "below average" in others. So while I do consider autism a disability I also feel like it helped give me a lot of my strengths.

I love to read and I like YA novels and classics a bit too much. I hope to major in classics so I am trying to start learning Latin/familiarize myself a bit with Greek. I like writing too, but I wish I was as good at writing fiction as essays lol. I'm also a fan of chess, biology, history, and video games. I love talking to people especially online because I only talk to about 3 people regularly in real life.
I would have loved to have majored in classics! My parents had other plans. I think we may be kindred spirits with regards to your other interests, too - though I would be terrible at chess. Welcome :)

2894c38cf48b01ddb306649e3a7f3b6a.png

Welcome!

Some of your interests remind me of my younger self. I didn't end up taking Latin or classics as my local schools didn't offer them (or in the case of the latter, it was very limited), though I am exploring some of them now.

Do you play Civilization by any chance? As someone who loved history but also used to play chess, I really liked how it gives you a bit of each.

Hi and welcome, yes I think that varying profile is fairly typical of Aspergers /ASD1. Is that Plato on your avatar?

I love to read, all sorts really, nonfiction mainly history, also I like YA series sometimes, and crime, and classics.
I'm quite interested in Stoic philosophy, only looked at it recently, it seems to be having a revival.

I hope you enjoy it here and find it useful and supportive.

:blossom::bee::seedling::herb::beetle::sunflower::ant::mapleleaf:
Nice to meet you! It's Homer.

Welcome!

Some of your interests remind me of my younger self. I didn't end up taking Latin or classics as my local schools didn't offer them (or in the case of the latter, it was very limited), though I am exploring some of them now.

Do you play Civilization by any chance? As someone who loved history but also used to play chess, I really liked how it gives you a bit of each.
I just recently got it in a Steam sale actually! Was eyeing it for ages. Haven't played much but I like it a lot :)

I would have loved to have majored in classics! My parents had other plans. I think we may be kindred spirits with regards to your other interests, too - though I would be terrible at chess. Welcome :)
So nice to meet you! I am not very good at chess but I've been playing since I was a kid and really enjoy it anyway haha

Hello Nico,

How we look at things matters a lot. Every human is a creative force. Autism does make doing some things very hard or not possible. However it is best to see it as a gift.

These "highly gifted" aspects of you want to appreciate what allows them to happen. It is best for you to Think in terms of energetic balance. When nature wants to evolve something it does so by enhancing an ability. That often requires that a lesser skill no longer functions as it previously did.

Linear thinking in our society is the norm. How fast you can think in linear ways is considered good. Those on the autistic spectrum think differently. They have enhanced multi-dimensional thought patterns. They have creative thought patterns more so than those who are strictly linear thinkers.

I say these things to you because the body is always listening to your self assessments. A good outlook on life will bring you many blessings. To foster this outlook it is best to use thoughts and terms in your reflective process which promote well being. There are books like "The biology of belief" and "Law of Attraction" which describe what I am talking about better than this short comment.

That is essentially why I encourage positive terms for word selections because it truly matters.

John

Welcome to the Forum Nico,

Having grown up in the same era as John, he is right about not looking at it as a disability. It is only one if you make it so.

I like to look at HFA as the next step in evolution, for it does seem to have genetic factors even though no one has discovered satisfactory explanations for that yet. I think that this neurological variant has a purpose, but the code hasn't gotten it quite right yet.

You seem passionate and have enough focus to make yourself a comfortable life. Find something you are truly excellent at; one that causes the least stress and provides you the most fun. That is the secret to a long life that has moments so pure and wonderful that they will stay with you forever.

I might seem like an optimist, but I am just expressing my view from a life lived.

Be well.

Thank you so much for your kind words and advice John and Richelle, I would love to hear about both your experiences further if you've ever posted/will post about what it was/is like in for you and others of your generation, I know a lot has changed.

Very much welcome Nico.

I echo similar to yourself, accept I am quite a bit older, sadly, and was formally diagnosed a few year's ago.

Indeed, as you said: gifted in some areas and below avarage in others, but since my diagnosis, I am feeling a bit better in myself and have taken on a sort of sense of humour regarding my difficulites.

I have a much better control of obsessions now and in fact, a lot of my obsession are most beneficial for me.
Even my "late" diagnosis was hard for me, because I found the sort of... realizations regarding what was really happening in my childhood and how it was mishandled very hard and sad. At the same time though it was a relief and very life changing. I would be interested to hear more about your journey if you ever choose to share. I feel the same about "obsessions" too -- in check, I think the passion can be quite a strength. I read the Iliad in two days, for instance :tearsofjoy:

New Threads

Top Bottom