• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello, I actually spent several years in Germany as a child and I got along better with the locals than I did with the other US military children. Have a beer on me.

Right now, however, I'm too afraid that I will come of as a faker because I'm too "normal" to actually be on the spectrum.
Quite a few are like that. I was good at academics and had a good intellect, so people thought I was normal. But I had no social maturity, and people neglected that I was not progressing into relationships like my peers. So, I never received any help. I guess I need to forgive those people for not providing the help I deserved. As a young teen, I could read, digest, and understand Bertrand Russel's "Why I Am Not a Christian," but I couldn't approach a girl I liked and ask her out.

Alright. Great you are at this forum. I really relate to #3 in your post. I used to fear #4, but age has mellowed me out much.

Please tell us your favorite foods and things to do. German restaurants are quite popular where l live.

Welcome to the forums!

This is a great place to learn and ask questions.
And there's no better time to start than now. :sunflower:

Wow, I'm absolutely overwhelmed how active this thread is! Thank you to everyone!

Welcome,

I did not even know anything about Asperger's syndrome when someone suggested to me that I might be on the spectrum. That was not until my 40s. I always knew I was not like everyone else, and so I just gravitated toward minimizing my stress levels and concentrated on never doing anything that might get me noticed in ways I did not want.

Each of us finds our own ways of dealing with life and I wish you all the best in your pursuit of happiness. The key is accepting yourself and finding your own path. Simple words but a goal that is difficult to achieve, nevertheless not an unreachable one.

May you find comfort and acceptance in your life.

Thank you for your kind words and wishes. <3
I'm really overwhelmed by the kindness from everyone here. I wasn't sure if I should register, but now I'm glad I did.

Hello. I’ve always liked some of the collectibles things made in Germany. I’ve always wanted a musical Black Forest cuckoo clock, one of those music boxes that look like a room in a German home that you can hang on a wall, and a Steinbach musical nutcracker or smoker. I have a couple music boxes in my collection that were made in Germany and would like some more for diversity. I also find some of the traditions very interesting.

I never expected that there would be so much interest in my home country, maybe we should create a thread dedicated to it, haha. :D What are some traditions you're interested in?

Welcome!

And I love your country <3, I'm learning german atm, it's a beautiful language.

Thank you, let me know if you have any questions!

Hi and welcome, I hope that you enjoy it here.

:watermelon::tropicaldrink::icecream::coffee::cherries::stew::custard::doughnut:

Thank you! :)

Hello, I actually spent several years in Germany as a child and I got along better with the locals than I did with the other US military children. Have a beer on me.

I'm happy to hear that you got along so well with the local Germans. If I'm honest, I actually hear a lot of bad things about our mentality. Many people call Germans cold, distanced, and too serious. Once, we had an exchange student from France living in our shared flat. After knowing me for only one day, she said to another French guy about me "Ohhh, she is just a typical German. Cold and distanced."
I find this really hurtful, so I'm happy to hear something positive.

Prost!

What is the most famous German song? I`m guessing this. :)

I guess, you're right! Nena was my childhood hero, but I also listened to a lot of songs from the former DDR because my family is from East Germany. The DDR had some amazing artists but, unfortunately, they are not appreciated anywhere in the West.

Quite a few are like that. I was good at academics and had a good intellect, so people thought I was normal. But I had no social maturity, and people neglected that I was not progressing into relationships like my peers. So, I never received any help. I guess I need to forgive those people for not providing the help I deserved. As a young teen, I could read, digest, and understand Bertrand Russel's "Why I Am Not a Christian," but I couldn't approach a girl I liked and ask her out.

Thank you for sharing. I'm just afraid that I might be wrong, that my self-diagnosis might not be correct, in which case I would be invading this space which is not for me.

Alright. Great you are at this forum. I really relate to #3 in your post. I used to fear #4, but age has mellowed me out much.

Please tell us your favorite foods and things to do. German restaurants are quite popular where l live.

Oh, really? I'm afraid I can't really contribute because I'm vegetarian, so I don't eat traditional German food. My grandma taught me a really good recipe for potato salad though (without mayonnaise, only oil and vinegar). And I love all cakes!
When I was a child and still ate meet, I liked Kassler (smoked pork chop) with sauerkraut. And Bauernfrühstück! It's an omelette filled with fried potatoes and onion. If you have a chance, please try it. :)

Welcome to the forums!

This is a great place to learn and ask questions.
And there's no better time to start than now. :sunflower:

Thank you!

Hello, i am from germany aswell.

Hallo! :D

but I also listened to a lot of songs from the former DDR because my family is from East Germany. The DDR had some amazing artists but, unfortunately, they are not appreciated anywhere in the West.
Which Ostrock bands did you listen to? I used to listen to a few even though I'm not from that part of the world. Like Silly, Karat, Puhdys, Stern-Combo Meißen, City, Karusell.

I find it interesting that I can accurately lip sync the original version of Nena’s 99 Luftballons and I don’t even speak German. Germany did have some great artists and songs in the 80s that came from the region.

Which Ostrock bands did you listen to? I used to listen to a few even though I'm not from that part of the world. Like Silly, Karat, Puhdys, Stern-Combo Meißen, City, Karusell.
You know more than me about Ostrock- And I live in a state that used to be part of the GDR.

Btw, Germans are baffled by all those American Rammstein enthusiasts. The band is not so popular among Germans.

New Threads

Top Bottom