• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello + Emoji Help

Rodafina

Hopefully Human
Staff member
V.I.P Member
Hello. New member here, generally quite shy with introductions. I will say that the topics here are very interesting to me and the back-and-forth is compelling and enlightening! I am happy to be here.

I wonder if anyone out there could either explain or direct me to the explanation of the little karma emojis. I understand LIKE, AGREE, INFORMATIVE, and WINNER, but I am not sure that I actually understand what the other ones mean when you give them. I admit, I struggle interpreting things like emojis, so hopefully my newbie status will get me through this without too much ridicule!

Don't take this as gospel. It's definitely subjective. Just my quick ideas on it.

Friendly is used in a broad sense, when someone is being nice, or expressing genuine emotions even if sad. It's actually a little hard to explain here. :D But it definitely doesn't mean anything personnal, like 'I like/love you'

Useful, is something you think will be helpful in a practical sense. Like posting 'how to' video, or explaining a difficult concept.

Optimistic is meant in a positive sense, like when someone is looking on the bright side.

Creative is when someone has made or said something original/well done/clever.

upload_2022-7-3_13-18-28.png

Welcome, Rodafina! It's been a pleasure to read your posts and to have you, here!

Personally, I use the heart emoji, when:

* I feel empathy for another and wish to express that
*I witness/ am touched by a person's kindness towards another
*I see a sweet photo of an animal, or people, for that matter
*The person is simply being friendly

I use the Informative emoji, which is blue and contains the letter i, when:

*I've learned something new, or I find it of interest

I think Tom covered the others.

I hope you enjoy your experience, here! :tulip:

Last edited:
Welcome!

I tend to use "like" a lot since it's kind of generic in nature, with a lot of "friendly" sprinkled in, in a similar spirit to what Tom and Loren noted.

I really appreciate having them since I don't always post too much (I wouldn't be surprised if the welcome / introduction forum is where most of my posts are in), but it provides a way of interaction and participation.

OK, this is great. Thank you all who replied - I practiced my use of emojis to all of your comments!

I wonder if anyone out there could either explain or direct me to the explanation of the little karma emojis. I understand LIKE, AGREE, INFORMATIVE, and WINNER, but I am not sure that I actually understand what the other ones mean when you give them. I admit, I struggle interpreting things like emojis, so hopefully my newbie status will get me through this without too much ridicule!

welcome : )

for me "like" is the one when I like a post, but don´t have to tell something special.
agree is when I have the same opinion.
funny is when someone made a joke and I find it funny
I use winner rarely, only for very special posts, which I like.
I use informative for posts that are about facts, like statistics about something or when someone explains something.
I use friendly quite often. when it has to do with feelings. sometimes I want to say "I feel with you" or "I find you/your thread sympathetic" with that. this is my favorite "emoji."

Personally, I use the heart emoji, when:

* I feel empathy for another and wish to express that
*I witness/ am touched by a person's kindness towards another
*I see a sweet photo of an animal, or people, for that matter
*The person is simply being friendly

yes that too

useful is similar to informative for me, I only use it sometimes, because I mostly use the other emojis
I use optimistic also only rarely
creative too. for poems for example.

emojis I recieved and gave:

upload_2022-7-4_0-1-27.png

I have similar issue with useful and informative. They seem to mean the same. I would elect to replace useful with a new emoji. Just not sure what.

Welcome :)

I have similar issue with useful and informative. They seem to mean the same. I would elect to replace useful with a new emoji. Just not sure what.

Welcome :)
Thank you, and I agree with your suggestion to remove redundant emojis and add a new one. I am only very new here, but I keep finding myself wanting a way to say “Interesting.” with an emoji.

To me, that is about the highest casual compliment I can offer.

I think one of my ASD traits is really focusing on, even worrying about words, finding just the right one, and using them with optimal efficiency! It doesn’t always work out, though :rolleyes:

New Threads

Top Bottom