• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello.. anybody else having work issues?

Cherryblossom

I am new to the site, hello!

I was diagnosed with aspergers one year ago this month and still getting used to the idea. Did anybody else feel both relieved and unsure if it was in fact correct? I have researched and researched to ensure it is suitable and accurate for my circumstances. Sometimes I accept. Sometimes I get confused if it may in fact be more of emotional immaturity. Then I remember how I’ve always felt exhausted after interacting with non succinct conversations. This drives me mad. To the point is so much more efficient.

Anyway. Work has been an issue for me as of late, my manager does not seem to understand how the sensory issues impact on my stress and anxiety levels and the idea of a laptop under reasonable ajustments was rejected. Screens around the desk were “unlikely”. Anybody else had such issues with anything similar? How did you deal with it?

Not sure if other people also experiences this but I don’t tend to like leaving my house alone because I like to be where life is predictable at home. Does anybody else struggle with this?

Anyway nice to meet you all.

Hello and warm welkome Cherry Blossom dear

I can only speek for my self but even tho i AM diagnosed with Multiple NPD diagnosis (latest ASD ) i cant help doubting my self and i have done a TON of Online ASD tests (as well as ALL my other NPD diagnosis ) and yes im WAY over the you have Autism on ALL of them (incl the DSM 5 Autism test ) And mostly Severe on the other diagnosis. So yeah im the same

Last edited:
Hi Cherryblossom

welcome to af.png

Cherryblossom. Hello and yes. I don't have to work anymore (61 and officially retired), but always had problems at work and hated it. I don't like leaving home, my comfort zone. And yes, my home is where I can control all my surroundings.

Hi @Cherryblossom and welcome to the community :)
I've plenty of experience of what you are talking about and I'm UK too. PM me if you want to discuss it further. I might be able to point you in the direction of some help.

Hi everybody thank you for the welcome and for sharing your views on these matters.

The mi6 response made me giggle, exactly the point. It would be more efficient.

They went to the extent of stating the computer system we use on our desktops computers could not be placed on a laptop. I knew this was false and contacted the IT department to clarify my view and took a name and contact details. However the issue seems to be that it would come out of the departments funding. What are your experiences of reasonable ajustments in office settings and /or funding? X

Knowing who and what you are allows you a choice of action, as opposed to not knowing and having to wander and stumble through a lifetime of confusion in interacting with others. In other words, self-awareness is an advantage far more than as a liability.

Though there no guarantees. I didn't begin to figure it all out until I was 55! :eek:

That said, I'm reminded of a very old saying. "Better to light one candle than curse the darkness."

Welcome to AF, Cherryblossom.

Last edited:
I can say i finally got my final piece of my who am i and why am i like this etc... ? Puzzle this past year actually = 2018 (still 47 )

I just look it this in relatively simple terms. That I'm grateful to have figured it out before I died. :)

Otherwise I just surmised that I was an introvert and had little else to draw upon. Having no clue that I had such a different thought process from the vast majority of others. Only discovering Aspergers Syndrome literally by accident.

Welcome Cherryblossom! I actually quit my job about a month ago because I couldn’t handle it anymore. I don’t know if it was the working environment, my AS, or a combination of the two; but I wasn’t the only person who quit around that same time.

I hope you can get reasonable accomodations and remain employed. I remember the name feeling of uncertainty following my diagnosis. It answered a lot of questions, but sometimes I wondered if it was true. Next month will make 3 years since my diagnosis. I don’t question it anymore, though I do wonder about comorbid conditions.

Sometimes people don't want to understand you because they feel like it's a sign of weakness. It's more of a management problem than a work problem. It sounds like you can do the work. Your boss is for whatever reason wanting to have a power struggle with you.

I'm sorry you're having to put up with a queen bee like that. It gets better, not all management situations will be this bad.

Sometimes people don't want to understand you because they feel like it's a sign of weakness. It's more of a management problem than a work problem. It sounds like you can do the work. Your boss is for whatever reason wanting to have a power struggle with you.

I'm sorry you're having to put up with a queen bee like that. It gets better, not all management situations will be this bad.

I agree. I literally think it comes down to funding and possibly lack of awareness also. This same person told me I needed to learn to ignore the noise.

I didn’t realise they could reject reasonable adjustments (including screens - health and safety hazard. Not sure why manufacturers would produce office screens if that is the case) under the Equality Act. Problem is because I get obsessed with facts I dislike it when somebody suggests something to the contrary... especially when it’s obviously not the case like the above.

What jobs do you guys find to be more suitable for our sensory issues /the way we think?

My favorite job was many years ago, but I was unaware of my Aspergers. I just knew I had balance and satisfaction in daily life. I was a receiving clerk for a large retail corporation. My job hours were 9-5, M-F, and I worked alone. I had to confirm product deliveries from various sources (lots of boxes). I was strong, so I could lift anything easily. Chit-chat with delivery people was always short, and I got to know them a bit through daily and weekly contact. My job was to scan the products in the boxes into store inventory accurately. I enjoyed working quickly, becoming adept at confirming amounts and product variations. I had my evenings to myself to shop, watch TV, or go anywhere I wanted. My weekends were free, allowing me to socialize and visit my parents an hour away to spend time with them and do chores as needed. This was balance. My job helped me indulge my hyper-focus skills, remain physically active, and work without mental interruptions. My phone rang once a month, if at all. I was always organized and could handle special needs from the selling floor and from the invoicing office. The game was making sure everything was completed before 5pm. I always managed to do it. At the end of the day, I had pride in my work and no BS to have to take home with me. No weekend work meant I could have a life and lots of personal down-time to reflect.

What made this all work for me is something I only understand now. Regularity, predictability, same work environment, in charge of my own area, and focus on the job at hand all worked together. It wasn't just the job. It was also the environment and the fact that I was solely responsible for the success or failure of the operation. It had a good combination of mental and physical activity without any interruptions to my concentration.

In Junior High, my counselor told me that my aptitude test suggested that I should be an accountant or a librarian. I rejected that idea because I felt they would be boring and I was such a bad math student. How wrong I was to ignore this advice. I wanted to experience the world, but I didn't know anything about Aspergers at the time.

If you are aware of your ASD, it would make some sense to indulge your strengths and interests, being aware of the kinds of environments that are a challenge to your overall well-being. I never questioned a work schedule, nor a work environment. I always dove in 100% without recognizing or understanding the role these play in personal satisfaction. My greatest needs are structure and predictability. This is where I find the foundation for balance. It took a lifetime to figure this out.

My favorite job was many years ago, but I was unaware of my Aspergers. I just knew I had balance and satisfaction in daily life. I was a receiving clerk for a large retail corporation. My job hours were 9-5, M-F, and I worked alone. I had to confirm product deliveries from various sources (lots of boxes). I was strong, so I could lift anything easily. Chit-chat with delivery people was always short, and I got to know them a bit through daily and weekly contact. My job was to scan the products in the boxes into store inventory accurately. I enjoyed working quickly, becoming adept at confirming amounts and product variations. I had my evenings to myself to shop, watch TV, or go anywhere I wanted. My weekends were free, allowing me to socialize and visit my parents an hour away to spend time with them and do chores as needed. This was balance. My job helped me indulge my hyper-focus skills, remain physically active, and work without mental interruptions. My phone rang once a month, if at all. I was always organized and could handle special needs from the selling floor and from the invoicing office. The game was making sure everything was completed before 5pm. I always managed to do it. At the end of the day, I had pride in my work and no BS to have to take home with me. No weekend work meant I could have a life and lots of personal down-time to reflect.

What made this all work for me is something I only understand now. Regularity, predictability, same work environment, in charge of my own area, and focus on the job at hand all worked together. It wasn't just the job. It was also the environment and the fact that I was solely responsible for the success or failure of the operation. It had a good combination of mental and physical activity without any interruptions to my concentration.

In Junior High, my counselor told me that my aptitude test suggested that I should be an accountant or a librarian. I rejected that idea because I felt they would be boring and I was such a bad math student. How wrong I was to ignore this advice. I wanted to experience the world, but I didn't know anything about Aspergers at the time.

If you are aware of your ASD, it would make some sense to indulge your strengths and interests, being aware of the kinds of environments that are a challenge to your overall well-being. I never questioned a work schedule, nor a work environment. I always dove in 100% without recognizing or understanding the role these play in personal satisfaction. My greatest needs are structure and predictability. This is where I find the foundation for balance. It took a lifetime to figure this out.

I envied the receiving clerk at my last job. As far as I know he was the only person in the store with a consistent, day time, weekday schedule.

Could you wear noise canceling headphones or earbuds? I don’t know if that would be possible in your work environment, but canceling out the noise around you would probably reduce sensory overload. Or is visual overload more of the problem? I know certain lighting can really mess with some people.

I'm sorry the adjustments were rejected. That sucks.
My job is not very suitable for me so I have recently decided that I'm going to try and see if I can cut down on my hours.
In Junior High, my counselor told me that my aptitude test suggested that I should be an accountant or a librarian.
I've actually been a librarian and loved it. I looked forward to going to work. Unfortunately there were cuts and I had to look for something else.

New Threads

Top Bottom